PDA

View Full Version : Had my First CBT Session..

Crystalhiggs
09-06-15, 13:27
Afternoon All.

I have been seeing a counsellor for 4 months since I developed insomnia. Although I have found the sessions enlightening and helpful, I didn't feel they were helping with my current issues. So I decided to try CBT and have just had my first session.

The therapist got the bottom of why I wasn't sleeping within minutes, and we are now going to work on changing my thought patterns around sleep which are basically negative and anxiety related. For example, instead of thinking 'will I sleep' when I go to bed, think 'how can I relax'. Do some breathing exercises and relaxation techniques and focus on the moment rather than worry about the rest of the night or the next day. I know it sounds like common sense but when you are anxious and sleep deprived you can't always think that clearly.

I hope it will work, in fact I'm sure it will if I stick at it. I sleep brilliantly when I don't worry about sleep! I'm willing to do anything to get over this period to be honest.

I'm currently reducing my medication which has been helping me sleep but causing me other issues and I'm a bit funny about taking meds anyway so just want to get off it and sleep naturally again!

So, wish me luck - I had an hour last night if that so really, really willing this to help!

Oosh
10-06-15, 21:04
Hope it works out for you :yesyes:

I get in a routine then listen to a podcast on headphones in bed. I'm not thinking about sleep at all. Because I'm in a routine, after so long sleep comes and I wake up hours later. Have done it that way for years. I'm always more comfortable going to sleep listening to conversation.

Davit
11-06-15, 00:45
Stay positive and it will work. CBT does work. I sleep sound.

jake1234
11-06-15, 01:01
Just remember, you have to STICK to it. I've been going for about 6 months now and when I slack off, my symptoms return. Think of it as exercise for your brain - you give up a few weeks and you lose what you gained.

MyNameIsTerry
11-06-15, 07:41
Focussing on the moment is taught in Mindfulness, Crystal. So, if you are doing some of that, you will start to change to be more that way but give it time as some people take longer than others to feel it click.

Other things you can do are practical techniques such as writing down things that you will likely obsess over whilst in bed. I used to do this with things I needed to do at work and it did help.

Crystalhiggs
11-06-15, 09:30
Thank you for your replies.

The first night (Tuesday) I tried to change my thoughts it was quite easy, I was very tired anyway so did the breathing exercises and was out like a light for 8 hours.

Last night not so good. Tried the breathing exercises and relaxation again and focussing in the moment but could feel my body was tense. My son was awake late last night and I was mindful that I couldn't go to sleep until I knew he was. Then it was late and my mind was active again, I felt I'd missed my sleep 'window'. So it was another 5am job and up at 7 so not the best but yes will keep working at it. I think reducing the trazodone is also having an effect now I didn't feel it at all last night. Can't wait to get off it!

MyNameIsTerry
11-06-15, 10:09
Yeah, the "sleep window" been there, done that...a lot!!!

Also the point where you go from being knackered for many hours to suddenly starting to wake up! That ones also very frustrating.

These both bother you less as you reach a better recovery stage though, I can attest to that one.

Over time you will lose that sleep window issue or be able to control it better even if it sticks around. It tends to raise its ugly head in stressful times or if you have things you have to get to the next day but its easier to cope with later on.

The fact it worked once shows it can be successful for you. Its only the start so with practice it will work better on the other issues.

Crystalhiggs
11-06-15, 11:53
Thanks Terry, I'm so fed up with this now. Fed up on the trazodone which is taking ages to come off and making me anxious as a side effect of coming down. I am scared too that when I'm off it I just won't sleep but I'm so desperate to feel like my nornal self again!

Yes will continue with the CBT and mindfulness I'm sure they will help in the long run!

MyNameIsTerry
11-06-15, 12:08
Sleep always does correct itself but its am unpleasant task at the best of times and worth anxiety it just puts your more on edge and you feel rough so that you dread dragging yourself through the next day. I think it's part of how it resets itself in that you sleep less to then become tired enough to sleep more naturally over the next few days and after that cycle repeats itself a few times it seems to then create a pattern.

It's different for a lot of us but the subconscious mind just needs pointing to pattern you want and it will soon take over. The work you are doing now will achieve that.

I remember my bad sleep stage and a lot of it was my reaction to it so learning CBT to change that reaction will help sort it quicker.

Don't just rely on CBT though, sleep hygiene tips, watch your meals as some are better than others, warm milk, camomile teas, etc. Along with your new work these could add up.

Crystalhiggs
11-06-15, 12:51
Thank you, yes am trying to practise good sleep hygiene and watch my sugar /caffeine intake. I don't drink or smoke. I always have a chamomile tea at bedtime, use magnesium spray, and read/listen to the radio until I feel ready to drift off. I'm living like a nun!!! It just sometimes doesn't happen. I've also ordered some lemon balm tea as recommended by Davit so really trying to cover every angle but guess it will just take time and whilst I'm adjusting the medication it will probably not right itself properly until I'm off it!

Thanks for the wise words, as always! :)

Davit
11-06-15, 19:45
You could try stacking to get rid of unwanted thoughts.

---------- Post added at 11:45 ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 ----------

It is in top tips

Crystalhiggs
12-06-15, 10:15
Ooh never heard of it, will take a look thank you!

MyNameIsTerry
12-06-15, 10:23
It's one of Davit's own creations, I think. I don't think he's patented it so I might copy it and call it "piling"..oh no, thats sounds more for piles!!! :D

Crystalhiggs
12-06-15, 13:22
Haha probably not the best name for it..! I'm happy to try anything to get me through so will give it a go tonight. :)