PDA

View Full Version : What just happened to me??

Liv7117
09-06-15, 20:51
I was on a run with my friends and all of a sudden I got an electric shock like feeling to my head/body and couldn't see for a few seconds. Afterward my head felt very numb and strange. I have also been getting rushes of dizziness to my head. Im freaking out. What could this have been? Does it sound like something serious?

venusbluejeans
09-06-15, 21:01
Sounds like a head zap to me, which is a 'normal' side effect of anxiety expecially if you are taking any ssri medication for your anxiety.

Liv7117
09-06-15, 21:18
I'm not on any ssri meds at the moment. I was on Zoloft but ran out 1.5 weeks ago and am picking up my new bottle tomorrow

---------- Post added at 16:18 ---------- Previous post was at 16:14 ----------

Does it sound like it was a seizure? Can brain zaps make you blackout momentarily?

Help1989
09-06-15, 21:35
It may be a withdrawal symptom after stopping your meds. I've had funny brain zaps and all over body zaps/twitches since I started taking ssri's a couple of years ago. I've been off them for long periods of time but still got the symptoms. Try not to worry about it and know that it is very likely to be a side effect of your meds (something that I find reassuring when I'm having a panic over my health)!

Gary A
09-06-15, 21:48
Sounds nothing like a seizure and in fact sounds like an adrenaline rush associated with anxiety, perhaps even the beginning of a panic attack.

venusbluejeans
09-06-15, 22:00
the fact that you have run out of Zoloft and have stopped it abruptly makes it even more likey that they are brain zaps and no not a seizure at all

Fishmanpa
09-06-15, 22:09
I agree with the above. Stopping an SSRI cold turkey can exasperate anxiety symptoms and cause the head zaps. You may also experience side effects ramping back up on the meds.

I'm curious... you said you were in therapy. What does your therapist think concerning the forum and your participation?

Positive thoughts

Liv7117
09-06-15, 22:43
Thanks for all your responses. It was just really scary because I couldn't see for a few seconds. I'm restarting my Zoloft tomorrow morning. Fishmanpa, yes I am in therapy and my therapist seems to be okay with my participation in this forum. She hasn't said anything against it, so I'm assuming it is fine with her. I know I have been posting a lot lately and I apologize for that, I just haven't been feeling like myself these past few weeks. I've been very out of it and dizzy and this has just increased my anxiety. The fact that I ran out of meds hasn't helped either

Fishmanpa
09-06-15, 23:18
Thanks for all your responses. It was just really scary because I couldn't see for a few seconds. I'm restarting my Zoloft tomorrow morning. Fishmanpa, yes I am in therapy and my therapist seems to be okay with my participation in this forum. She hasn't said anything against it, so I'm assuming it is fine with her. I know I have been posting a lot lately and I apologize for that, I just haven't been feeling like myself these past few weeks. I've been very out of it and dizzy and this has just increased my anxiety. The fact that I ran out of meds hasn't helped either

There's no need to apologize Liv. It's just a concern is all. As a parent of a young adult who suffers from anxiety and depression it always concerns me when I see a young person suffering as you are.

It's been my experience that therapists will discourage participation as it effectively feeds your anxiety. By posting about a symptom you're giving it life. Staying logged on and consulting Dr. Google keeps you focused on it as opposed to working on distraction techniques and other methods you may be learning in therapy to cope and deal with the feelings you're experiencing. Each response you receive further feeds the dragon. I would suggest you discuss what I'm saying with your therapist and see what she thinks.

Get your meds and get back on the healing train. It's way better than being stuck at the worry station :winks:

Positive thoughts

Liv7117
10-06-15, 01:47
Yes, I should probably discuss it more with my therapist at my next appt as we didn't go into much detail on the subject. Thank you for your replies, I really appreciate them :) I agree, the worry station is the worst, hoping the meds help a bit

tan235
11-06-15, 09:14
I don't know if you still check this - but I get those things all the time and Im not on meds, in fact im glad I found your post as I had one of these a few nights ago.
They are terrifying!
It's like your brain suddenly gets a zap and then everything goes weird for a second - I explain it as being turned off and back really quickly .. I get dizzy feelings in my brain too ... my doctor always says anxiety.

I've never had a brain scan however I've been getting these for 10 years now .. so I can only assume its anxiety ;)

Don't worry ha ha .. try not to worry..... x

MyNameIsTerry
11-06-15, 09:18
Yes, I should probably discuss it more with my therapist at my next appt as we didn't go into much detail on the subject. Thank you for your replies, I really appreciate them :) I agree, the worry station is the worst, hoping the meds help a bit

Its always worth mentioning but as long as they know about it if they don't advise against it, they mustn't believe it to be detrimental. Just be open with them about it, they are used to it all.

It is advisable from an exposure point of view where therapists will ask clients to confront triggers. Thats for them to organise with you though.

Liv7117
11-06-15, 23:33
Sorry, just checked this now. I just wanted to update everyone, I took my meds yesterday and haven't felt dizzy since. However I did have a weird shaking episode today. It's not from my meds because it happened to me a few weeks ago when I hadn't taken them. I was sitting in class and suddenly started shaking uncontrollably and could barely walk or write. Is this just anxiety? It lasted for quite awhile