PDA

View Full Version : Another new member

pootle
08-09-04, 03:01
Hi, my name is Pootle (Real name is Andy but it's a bit too common to use on message boards and chat rooms ^_^).

I found this website completely by chance (searched in Google) after my GP gave me a very out of date list of sites for panic and anxiety that no longer exist:(

I'm a 27 year old from Kent and first started suffering from panic attacks and general anxiety when i was 15. Since then i've been prescribed more types of medication than i can remember and been referred to countless Doctors and CPNs with varying degrees of success.

I've spent the last four or five years taking Venlafaxine (Effexor), and for the first time i've been able to lead some kind of normal life. I now have a wife and two step-children, and we run a mail-order company from home. I'm amazed at what i've managed to achieve in this period of time, i even owned and ran a Computer Games shop for a while (not bad for someone that used to be too scared to leave the house).

Unfortunately, about six months ago, my GP suggested that i try weaning myself off of the Venlafaxine to see how i would cope without it (bad idea.....).

The withdrawals weren't as bad as i thought they'd be (venlafaxine has a bad reputation for withdrawal symptoms) and everything seemed okay for a while. About a month ago things started getting bad again, i began worrying about death pretty much all the time and began noticing chest pains and other physical symptoms again (no matter how many ECGs, chest X-Rays and blood tests i have, no-one can convince me that there isn't something wrong with my heart).

Things came to a head when my wife went to visit her sister for the weekend and took the kids with her (i've never been very good at being left on my own for periods of time). I spent the whole 3 days in a constant state of panic, too scared to call anyone, and convinced i was dying.

I've now started taking the Venlafaxine again and am suffering badly with side-effects. I'm more anxious than i was when i was left on my own for 3 days, my heart is racing constantly and i'm suffering from constant palpatations and an occasional irregular heartbeat. I've also been unable to sleep for days and am getting more and more confused and paranoid. The doctor says that all of this will pass in time (and has prescribed me Diazepam until the side effects wear off) but i really don't know how i'm going to cope with all this.

This is the first time i've been really ill since i've been married and working. We recently moved house and i don't know how we're going to keep up with the mortgage if i can't work. My wife also sometimes suffers from depression and, although she's been amazingly supportive and helpful so far, i'm worried that she won't be able to cope. All of these real-life worries keep kicking in every time i manage to relax about my symptoms :(

Anyway, i'm glad i've found this website, it makes such a difference knowing that you're not alone, and i find it so much easier to talk about things this way.

Andy (pootle)

tara
08-09-04, 09:23
Hi Andy, i'm really glad you've found this site, you'll get so much help, advice and support on here! Tara xxx

c141re
08-09-04, 09:57
Hi Andy

Welcome aboard! :o)

Claire. x

seh1980
08-09-04, 12:13
hello there Andy,

Welcome to the site!! I hope we can all do our bit to help you out!!:)

Sarah :D

Karen
08-09-04, 12:14
Hi Andy

Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will get lots of support here.

Briary

Laurie28
08-09-04, 12:25
Hiya Andy,

Have a look at first steps (in welcome section written by meg ) sorry I can't set up link as I am a not too great on the computer - but maybe someone will help me out!

It is great to find a site where people truly understand what you are going through - the suppotr and advice here is great!

Have you visisted any therapist (cognitive behaviour therapists seem to work for the best) (you did say CPN's in your post but I don't know if that is therepy - excuse my ignorance)

The thing about medication is that it is great to take the edge of panic/anxiety etyc but if you don't work on the underlying problems then they will come back when medication finished

Let us know how your getting on

Lucky

jill
08-09-04, 15:46
Hi Andy

Welcome to the site :D

nomorepanic
08-09-04, 17:28
Hi Andy

We spoke last night in chat.

Good to see you here. We will help you all we can and offer the best advice we can.

Start by reading the "First Steps" post that is under the "Welcome" topic on the forum. You may find something in there that you haven't tried.

Let us know if we can help ok?

Nicola

pips
08-09-04, 22:28
Hi Andy & welcome aboard!

I hope it will help you find the road to recovery again!

Pip's

sal
08-09-04, 23:04
Hi Andy

Pleased you have found the site and hope we can all help you.

It is hard but you have taken the first step, hope to talk to you soon.

Love Sal xxxxx

Panikki
09-09-04, 12:58
Hi Andy,
Welcome to the group!
I know where your coming from with your present worries so your not alone. I suffered panic attacks and general anxiety for many yrs now at first the panics were managable and i did'nt really understand what they were and never let them bother me too much, when they steadilly got worse as in more frequent and started to effect my everyday life as in finding it difficult to stand in queues in shops, unable to attend school functions for kids , I decided to seek help from my G.P.
I was tried on various AD's many made me feel alot worse and i was advised not to continue with these. Eventually i was put on the dreaded Seroxat ...which was ok to be honest , little side effects and like you i was able to function pretty much with ease..no panics was able to work etc... I decided after being on them 4 yrs it was time to try to stand on my own two feet again ..so i tried stopping tabs like you had awful withdrawal ..so I done a slow taper ..it took a yr of reducing by tiny amounts but each step of the way was a sufferance I still had all typical withdrawal symptoms everytime i dropped the dose again...this would settle after a few weeks-month and i'd move on again.
I have now been totally off the seroxat for 6 mnths and it's been downhill all the way ..anxiety is worse than prior to taking AD's ..i'm now scared to be alone at home, scared to go out alone, the latest has been i cant eat ! G.P. has tried me on another AD but made me feel worse ..I offered to go back on Seroxat but Doc said no because it's bad withdrawal ..for the last 4 weeks i've been taking diazipam which i'm not keen on taking cos of it's addiction rate is high ..but after having such a tough time getting off the AD's I cant see anything being worse!! You mentioned that you have gone back on venlafaxine but still feel bad ...i dont know how true this is ..but i've read that if you stop a med and then go back on it ..it's not as effective..but that could be hearsay...Venlafaxine is as bad as Seroxat for withdrawal as it also has a short if not shorter (i think) Half-life than Seroxat. I dont know if your aware that AD'S with a longer half-life supposedly present less withdrawal probs. Maybe your still experiencing withdrawal at present as reinstating the drug will take a while to work again , it wont just pick you up where it left you off so to speak. I hope this is'nt all too confusing for you .. I hope things pick up for you soon otherwise i'd go back and chat with your G.P. and discuss maybe trying another drug. Take Care Luv Jodie x

J Baker

Meg
09-09-04, 15:59
Hi Andy,

Welcome on board.

Its so disappointing when life has been good and you feel that you are returning to bad period again.

Did you take the 6 months to wean off the Venlaflaxine ?

I hope that you are now starting to feel the benefits of it again.

You mention doctors and CPN's but have you ever had a good course of CBT ?

Take care

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch

pootle
09-09-04, 18:10
Thank you all, everyone here has been great so far. Things are a lot better now that i'm sleeping again, i think the side-effects of the Venlafaxine are slowly starting to wear off.

In response to Meg's questions;

I was weaned of off the medication over a perid of about 3 weeks last time, and managed to cope without them for about 5 months. Although i've not been completely free from anxiety, i've been able to live a pretty much normal life for the last 4 and a half years (before this recent relapse).

I've never had CBT before, just general advice about coping with anxiety from CPNs in the past, it's definately something i'm going to push for.

Andy.

Meg
09-09-04, 18:57
Yes do push for CBT . It can be very helpful.

IMHO - 3 weeks is not nearly slow enough for sucessful and lasting Venlafaxine tapering off. 3 months is more like it .

Meg