PDA

View Full Version : When does anxiety become harmful?

rsanchez
11-06-15, 01:07
I've been dealing with anxiety for three years. It became a really bad problem about a year ago. About that time I started taking klonopin, but only took it for a few months. Shortly afterwards I started therapy, and I stopped seeing my therapist a month ago. My anxiety has gone untreated since (and I've seem to have forgotten everything I learned from the therapist).

My anxiety has gotten way worse over the past month, to the point where I am really fearing for my health. I've read that no one ever died from a panic attack, but they always say long term anxiety will cause bad health problems.

My question is: am I screwed yet? When does long term anxiety turn into health problems?

Edit: I'm a 25 year old guy if that affects anything.

MyNameIsTerry
11-06-15, 05:43
Long term exposure to too much stress is a marker for various things so anxiety is part of that too. However, you have to remember that doesn't indicate a definate outcome and there are so many things you can do to not only help your mental health but your physical health too e.g. exercise, good diet, etc.

You also have to remember that a lot of statistics are based on relationships e.g. x% of people with depression are obese. That doesn't mean you started overeating due to depression at all, you may have already been obese or it could purely be unhealthy living styles that led to it regardless. So, always be careful when reading/listening to things like this because they can be very misleading.

Eat well, get exercise and it will help you. You also have to remember that panic attacks are a natural function of our bodies so they are able to cope with them. Think how many times our ancient ancestors dealt with dangerous situations. Daily? So, the human body was developed to cope with this.

rsanchez
11-06-15, 06:04
Thank you for your reply. I think about how many times our ancient ancestors dealt with dangerous situations, but then I also think how low their life expectancy was at the time. :scared15:

I'm just scared that a month of daily anxiety and a few panic attacks a week are messing me up, and might reach a point where my body is not able to cope with them. I hope it's not too late for me!

MyNameIsTerry
11-06-15, 07:30
They died because they had so many challenges which involved starvation and infection was a killer back then. They had no healthcare or emergency medics like we do. People are living longer because of improvements in amenities to help them.

I've had anxiety for 9+ years now, I'm still here and I'm 39. There are people on here who have had anxiety 30+ years so whilst it can be an additional factor, it just doesn't equate to poor vital health.

Think about all the guys that came back from the World Wars with shellshock, what is now known as PTSD. Look how long they have lived despite that, many into their 90's!

The best thing you can do is tackle your mental health and keep good physical health. Aside from the health benefits you are worried about, think how good itwould be to be anxiety free?

Daniele_T
11-06-15, 21:37
Here's the deal...anxiety, worry and panic are risk factors for increased overall morbidity. You could Google it like I did and then you're gonna worry that anxiety is killing you and it further fuels your anxiety and panic attacks.

The fact is that the biggest killer to people with panic and anxiety is suicide so how do they manage that if the anxiety is gonna do them in?

It's not that fast, in medical journals that report the vascular effects of anxiety and how it increases arterial schlerosis they test patients with an average age of 60!! 60 years old...these are lifelong panic people...ask why they haven't popped off the earth yet.

Yes anxiety will cause you many problems but none more than its own habit....it's horrendous at times but you're strong enough to not keep the habit of feeding it.
You understand what it is and how you fuel it.

Many many people do not. Or simply won't accept it.

Good luck with your journey Rsanchez

rsanchez
12-06-15, 00:10
Thanks, I guess at my age it is too young to worry about it. And they never mention in news articles that the people they found at risk from stress are in their 60s. That's reassuring to know.

I don't have to worry about suicide. Anxiety already has me scared enough of death already that the thought of offing myself is intolerable.

How good it would be, to be anxiety free.

MyNameIsTerry
12-06-15, 06:17
Yes, you are far too young.

The things that can be unhealthy for us and lead to conditions in later years are all based on things like poor diet and lack of exercise. If you get those sorted, you are in a better position than someone who is overweight and never exercises anyway.