PDA

View Full Version : Doctors about cough worried and not reassured

selphie
11-06-15, 12:47
Hi. I posted on here about a tickly cough i have had for about 3 months now. I finally had a doctors appointment this morning, but still been left really worried and not reassured.

I am going to be honest, I know i am always posting on here about this and that, but i do think that a doctor has missed something since having all these problems from when i was 21 (38 now) through the years of all my symptoms they have mainly all been to do with my breathing, missed beats, tight chest... I know i have had some other problems that have nothing to do with my heart, but mainly its focused around that.

The years of the tight feeling under my chest the fast heart rate and missed beats.. I am sure its not all been in my head, but the doctors do and they have never found a single thing which makes me look more like its all in my head.

I know my family think that its all anxiety and there is nothing wrong with me, but its ok if they do not live with this. Everyday is such a struggle for me. From the moment i wake up till the time i go to bed i worry about something that i feel is not right in my body, but i just keep going, crying alone, but it always feels like there is something, and now this.... This cough that i have had for 3 months the itchy throat.... People think its anxiety again, but i am sure this time there is something they've missed. I know what your all thinking here that i am crazy, but if it is all in my head then its very..... REAL feeling.

Well, anyway went in saw the doctor. I told him about the cough and he put something on my finger... took it off never said a thing... he then asked to listen to my heart and chest which he did, and again said nothing.... he asked me if i smoked to which i told him i did, but Only 3 a day.... I smoke more if i am drinking and then i can get through about 20.. I know i know its a bad thing, but when i drink i have to have a fag... anyway he said that he was going to give me a steroid inhaler to use twice a day, and that to steam myself twice a day which would help... he asked me if i have lost weight to which i have not and breathlessness which i have not only the usual tightness, but they said for years it was anxiety.... Then he looked at me and said.... but i need to see you??... I say when he said in a month whatever happens i need to see you.... It scared the living day lights out of me... he said you can either ring or come in:scared15:....

By this point i asked him if my chest and lungs sounded alright and he said yes they were OK???? Why did he not tell me that after he did it??... he left ME asking questions?? I said what he thinks it is... he said he thinks its Bronchial?? But then he looked at me and said, but we don't know:shrug: This has not helped and its left me really scared.... Wondering if he thinks its something that i should be worried about??....

I am going to be honest here... I really think its Lung cancer, everything points towards it and i am terrified, worst than i was before, because i have no answers, and i am scared and really do not know where to turn or what to do.

Fishmanpa
11-06-15, 13:10
If you have a fear of lung cancer, why are you smoking even one cigarette? I think your doctor is spot on giving you an inhaler as a tickly cough is often allergy related. You've been checked and if there were something suspicious going on, you would have been referred.

Are you getting help for your anxiety?

Positive thoughts

selphie
11-06-15, 14:24
If you have a fear of lung cancer, why are you smoking even one cigarette? I think your doctor is spot in giving you an inhaler as a tickly cough is often allergy related. You've been checked and if there were something suspicious going on, you would have been referred.

Are you getting help for your anxiety?

Positive thoughts

I smoke when i am nervous... crazy i know. It calms me even tho i know how bad it is for you. I was never worried about lung cancer until this cough came. I have not had a single fag today, and i do not plan to either... He may be spot on giving me the inhaler, but he never really told me anything until i asked him.. I just felt that i never got any answers that i went there for really.... The inhaler for allergies?? It says its a steroid that treats asthma, which i have never suffered from really?

Yes i have been checked, but he still wants to see me in a month. Not being funny, but a quick listen to my chest is not being checked really. I have to wait a whole month scared stiff worrying about this cough...

He said i will not feel any affects of the inhaler until 10 days, and when i went to the pharmacist she said that she wants to call me in 7 days to see how the inhaler is working for me, but if the doctor said that i will not feel the affects of the steroid for 10 days then whats the point of me ringing.??

No help for anxiety really. They know i have it, but i think they have given up on me to be honest.

AaronB
11-06-15, 14:27
First of all, try not to separate symptoms that are in your head, from those that are real as bluntly as you are.

By creating this anxiety in the first place, in your head, you are then going to experience REAL symptoms in your body as a result. So it is very likely that constant focusing on your body, and in particular, your chest, breathing, throat etc, is going to then give you vary real symptoms which you then worry about.

Try to remind yourself, that during the years from 21 to 38, you have been very worried about symptoms, and I'm sure been adamant that they were caused by a serious illness, and every time, it's turned out that you were wrong, and that you are fine. It's therefore incredibly likely, that this time is the same.

The GP is just doing the routine things that he/she needs to do in order to provide you with the best possible care. If the GP had of just shrugged and said "You're fine, go home" then it's likely you would then feel like you weren't examined properly.

So take comfort in the fact that you are receiving proper attention, and that you are being given medicine (steroid inhaler) in order to improve the way you feel. That's great!

We are also at the season now where allergies are beginning to really play up. Whilst I sit here writing this to you now I have a slight tickle in my throat, my chest feels a bit tight, and my eyes a little itchy. It's just hayfever, and the moment I start brooding on these symptoms I remind myself that it is just hayfever. If it wasn't, the symptoms would have developed by now.

Try to distract yourself from it all now, and see how you feel in a day or so. And if you do start thinking about it, remind yourself that you have a GP who is making sure you're okay, rather than just saying to you "You're fine, go home"

Have a wonderful day, and enjoy the beautiful weather.

All the best

Fishmanpa
11-06-15, 14:29
No help for anxiety really. They know i have it, but i think they have given up on me to be honest.

You can't get what you don't ask for. Tell your doctor you're hurting. Print out some of your threads if need be. 17 years is a long time to be suffering. A journey starts with one step but you have to take it.

Positive thoughts

Gary A
11-06-15, 14:52
The doctor was asking you to go back as he obviously wants to see if the steroid inhaler has worked or not.

The way you're talking, that "I know something has been missed" and "I'm sure this is lung cancer" are absolutely 100% no doubt about it signs that you suffer from health anxiety. As for anyone telling you that it's all in your head, well, it is and it isn't. It isn't because actually, the symptoms are probably real genuine symptoms that you can actually feel. It's your perception of these symptoms that's wrong, and that's where the "all in your head" part comes from.

Chest tightness and discomfort is very common with anxiety, and can spring from a combination of muscular pain caused by tension, shallow breathing and poor posture. A cough can also be caused by anxiety. Not directly, but stress can tighten the muscles in your neck and throat, giving the impression of a tickly cough sensation.

I think you need to seek help for your anxiety, it's pretty clear to me that it's causing at least some, if not all, of your symptoms.

selphie
11-06-15, 15:33
First of all, try not to separate symptoms that are in your head, from those that are real as bluntly as you are.

By creating this anxiety in the first place, in your head, you are then going to experience REAL symptoms in your body as a result. So it is very likely that constant focusing on your body, and in particular, your chest, breathing, throat etc, is going to then give you vary real symptoms which you then worry about.

Try to remind yourself, that during the years from 21 to 38, you have been very worried about symptoms, and I'm sure been adamant that they were caused by a serious illness, and every time, it's turned out that you were wrong, and that you are fine. It's therefore incredibly likely, that this time is the same.

The GP is just doing the routine things that he/she needs to do in order to provide you with the best possible care. If the GP had of just shrugged and said "You're fine, go home" then it's likely you would then feel like you weren't examined properly.

So take comfort in the fact that you are receiving proper attention, and that you are being given medicine (steroid inhaler) in order to improve the way you feel. That's great!

We are also at the season now where allergies are beginning to really play up. Whilst I sit here writing this to you now I have a slight tickle in my throat, my chest feels a bit tight, and my eyes a little itchy. It's just hayfever, and the moment I start brooding on these symptoms I remind myself that it is just hayfever. If it wasn't, the symptoms would have developed by now.

Try to distract yourself from it all now, and see how you feel in a day or so. And if you do start thinking about it, remind yourself that you have a GP who is making sure you're okay, rather than just saying to you "You're fine, go home"

Have a wonderful day, and enjoy the beautiful weather.

All the best

This is what i do.... I cant seperate them, because i know that in the past i have felt like i was dying so many times that i am no longer what is real and what is reality??. I am so frightened and i am thinking to myself, What if i do not worry and it turns out that this one is real?.... But then i am thinking, now i am totally focusing on this problem and i am losing days being unhappy and endless worrying... I do agree totally what you have said about all the other times when its turned out to be nothing... ( and i tell you i have felt so bad pains everywhere in my body) that i have truly believed that i am dying... I was so bad one day, I said goodbye to my parents and told them how much i loved them...

I know you can put things in your body, I know you can totally convince yourself your feeling things then you do because i have done it..... I know i have actually made my whole body ache before... and then i think, but can you really put a cough in your mind??... then i am back to not knowing what is what.

I really really appreciate all your advice. It really is good to be able to talk to someone i feel so alone sometimes in my thoughts.

---------- Post added at 15:33 ---------- Previous post was at 15:26 ----------

The doctor was asking you to go back as he obviously wants to see if the steroid inhaler has worked or not.

The way you're talking, that "I know something has been missed" and "I'm sure this is lung cancer" are absolutely 100% no doubt about it signs that you suffer from health anxiety. As for anyone telling you that it's all in your head, well, it is and it isn't. It isn't because actually, the symptoms are probably real genuine symptoms that you can actually feel. It's your perception of these symptoms that's wrong, and that's where the "all in your head" part comes from.

Chest tightness and discomfort is very common with anxiety, and can spring from a combination of muscular pain caused by tension, shallow breathing and poor posture. A cough can also be caused by anxiety. Not directly, but stress can tighten the muscles in your neck and throat, giving the impression of a tickly cough sensation.

I think you need to seek help for your anxiety, it's pretty clear to me that it's causing at least some, if not all, of your symptoms.

Thanks for replying gary. Yes i think it is, but i just had the impression that he did not really know what he thought was wrong with me, when i said to my dad he gave me an inhaler he said what hes giving you that for you do not have asthma, its all up there.. I know he means my head.... Hes not very good with illness etc.. I only told him because he was the only one around and needed to talk...

Its so hard sometimes.

AaronB
11-06-15, 16:38
but can you really put a cough in your mind??..

Yes! Absolutely!

If you concentrate on your throat, it is inevitably going to tense the muscles and cause that 'lump in throat' sensation. There isn't actually a physical lump in your throat, but we think it's there anyway.

A tickly cough is totally within the realms of what we are capable of doing with our minds.

But don't forget, it is allergy season also :)

selphie
11-06-15, 16:46
Yes! Absolutely!

If you concentrate on your throat, it is inevitably going to tense the muscles and cause that 'lump in throat' sensation. There isn't actually a physical lump in your throat, but we think it's there anyway.

A tickly cough is totally within the realms of what we are capable of doing with our minds.

But don't forget, it is allergy season also :)

:) I wont forget thanks Aaron. I am really going to try and not to think, The only time i have been getting peace is at night time. Then wake and it all starts up again. I have been so detached from my family for a while now, I do not tell anyone because i know what they will think.

I do not think its an allergy because i took some meds for it from the pharmacy in case and it did nothing.

I really want to try and focus on living. I am hoping this inhaler does something for me.

AaronB
11-06-15, 22:32
You're welcome.

Trying not to think about it is a great idea. Bear in mind though, that we do tend to make these thoughts a bit of a habit and when we do so, they pop back into our head quite easily.

I find the best way to break the habit is to distract myself when I think in a negative way, and replace the thoughts with positive ones. I even write things down about how well I've done on a particular day, and if I feel anxious I go back and read them and remind myself that I CAN feel better, if I put the effort in.

Some medication for allergies work better than others. Worth trying a few and see if any improve how you feel :)

selphie
12-06-15, 09:59
You're welcome.

Trying not to think about it is a great idea. Bear in mind though, that we do tend to make these thoughts a bit of a habit and when we do so, they pop back into our head quite easily.

I find the best way to break the habit is to distract myself when I think in a negative way, and replace the thoughts with positive ones. I even write things down about how well I've done on a particular day, and if I feel anxious I go back and read them and remind myself that I CAN feel better, if I put the effort in.

Some medication for allergies work better than others. Worth trying a few and see if any improve how you feel :)

Last night was a bad night for me. I was sitting in my living room the tickle came back in my throat and i had the most horrible sense of dread for some reason started sweating and just had this horrible thought, that i had lung cancer and was going to die... It was so scary i cried. Not done that for so long... like a baby, do not know why, I think because i am so worried.

Went to bed and just fell asleep, My hubby asked me what was wrong, but again i told him nothing...

I woke up in the morning hoping today would be a better day, then out the blue the dreaded tickle came back and i tried to ignore it, I did my housework which was ok, but then i sprayed air freshener around my home and that was that... I had a coughing fit it was horrible thought it would not stop:weep:... Its just subsiding now, but i am sitting here dreading when the next trickle will come back.. I know its sad. My 4 year old is sitting here next to me watching teenage mutant ninja turtles telling me about the episode, and i feel so sad like i am failing him as a mother..... All my thoughts are about me and that is so sad.... and very selfish of me.

I am so trying really hard to block the cough out think positive, but its so hard when your dealing with this.... I really want to try tho, I know i have been here before with issues and got better, and like i have said i have felt like i have been dying int the past... Its just trying to separate whats a real symptom and whats not.

Thank you so much for your support.

AaronB
15-06-15, 16:29
Sorry Selphie I hadn't seen your post until now.

How are you feeling now? Do you still have the tickly cough?

Absolutely nothing you are describing sounds like anything more than just a cough, or due to the allergy season.

selphie
20-06-15, 15:17
Sorry Selphie I hadn't seen your post until now.

How are you feeling now? Do you still have the tickly cough?

Absolutely nothing you are describing sounds like anything more than just a cough, or due to the allergy season.

No worries aaron. I think its lovely that you are taking the time to help me. Nothing has changed. I am still sitting here with an itchy throat, its horrible and all i am doing is worrying about it:weep:.

I told my husband yesterday that i am sure now that i have lung cancer, he was so angry with me, telling me that only 10 months ago i had a chest x ray and was given the all clear as there was nothing to find and he said all my bloods were also fine, and yes i do admit that at the time i did feel like i was at deaths door, so he said that this time is no different, but i feel that it is.

I do not get a break of it... itch itch all day, until i lay my head down in bed and i fall asleep wake up in the morning and it starts all over again... I am s down.

The doctor said that i would not feel any affects from the inhaler he gave me till 10 days, well its now 10 days, and i am still the same.

Also my ectopic beats have also come back too, not bad, but bad enough. I have the most horrible taste in my mouth. I have broke down in tears and i just do not know what to do next. Yes i know i have anxiety, but i feel its just there because of this itchy throat....

I do not know what to do. My husband has invited friends round tonight and usually i look forward to it... tonight tho i am dreading it.... All i am looking forward to is having a stiff drink or two..

I still have quit smoking, but i have brought e cigs in case i feel the urge.

All i want is all this to end, but i do not know what to do or who to turn to? xx

selphie
21-06-15, 16:21
After another restless night with coughing i walked into the walk in center at our hospital i spoke to a doctor who refered me for an x ray tomorrow as i explained how long i had the symptoms for, so he said to have a a ray tomorrow.

Have to say i am scared to death as i do believe something is very wrong:weep:

Help1989
21-06-15, 19:25
I hope you're feeling a bit better. I'm responding because I think your symptoms sound like acid reflux to me. This can cause throat irritation and a cough, even when you can't feel the acid. It irritates the oesophagus and causes a cough. I have lung worries myself at the moment but I have pain as well as a cough. I'm going to the docs to ask for a scan tomorrow. Let us know how you get on with your X-ray :)

selphie
22-06-15, 19:02
I hope you're feeling a bit better. I'm responding because I think your symptoms sound like acid reflux to me. This can cause throat irritation and a cough, even when you can't feel the acid. It irritates the oesophagus and causes a cough. I have lung worries myself at the moment but I have pain as well as a cough. I'm going to the docs to ask for a scan tomorrow. Let us know how you get on with your X-ray :)

Hi... I had a really bad night last night. I woke up shaking and sorry tmi ( Had diarrhea. I just had to get to the toilet. I cant tell you the feeling i had it was like impending doom washed over me, and i have never had that before.

I cant get acid reflex tho because i am on lansoprazole i have been on it for years, so i cant get it can i if i am on this meds. I have a strange feeling in my nose today, so really do not know whats happening to my body.

Now all i am doing is worrying about the results of my x ray its such a vicious circle.

Sorry your feeling unwell i know how horrible it is xx

AaronB
22-06-15, 19:39
Hi Selphie,

I agree it does sound like you have some acid reflux at the moment. This can be exacerbated by stress and even if you take Lansoprazole (I do too), it can still flare up now and again.

Try to remember that it is not your tickly throat that causes your anxiety, its your thoughts regarding your tickly throat that will then manifest as symptoms, or nerves.

Your body is only responding to the thoughts you provide it with. To give you an example of how powerful it can be, imagine the following scenario;

Parachute Jumper A - 10 years experience, loves flying and jumping out of airplanes!

Parachute Jumper B - Never done it before.

So they both go up, Jumper A is full of joy, can't wait to jump! He is thinking of how much he loves the experience, and imagining his freefall and the gentle drifting to the ground once his chute opens. He ENJOYS the experience.

Jumper B? Well, they are thinking all sorts of negatives things. What if my chute doesn't open? What if the plane crashes before I jump? What if I can't pull the handle?

Those negative thoughts, are going to send a signal from his/her brain, and manifest as nerves, anxiety, fear, dread, etc etc.

Now Jumper A, is full of the joys of spring!! Because the thoughts he/she is putting in, are POSITIVE.

Notice that the situation they are in, the plane, the sky, the activity, are all EXACTLY the same. It's only their thoughts that have changed. Notice the difference?

Now bringing it back to you.

You're worrying excessively about your throat, you concentrating on it from when you wake up, to when you go to sleep.

If there was a major issue with your lungs/throat, it would be waking you up non stop wouldn't it?

You have automatically imagined the worst case scenario here, when the evidence just doesn't support it. By putting all these negative thoughts in your head, you're giving yourself these awful feelings and anxiety that you mention.

I know it's easier said than done, but start making a concious effort to start gaining a new perspective on the situation. Statistically, is it likely to be anything serious? No. Absolutely not. Do you have any evidence other than a tickly throat that you have a serious condition? No.

Distract yourself the moment you start thinking negatively, after all it's just a habit! If you do find yourself thinking "what if?", then quickly remind yourself of the evidence, or lack of in your case.

You'll be fine, I'm sure of it, and let us all know what the x ray says.

Be patient with your husband, I'm sure he's angry not at you, its likely that he's frustrated that he can't help you more.

All the best

Aaron

selphie
23-06-15, 09:10
Hi Selphie,

I agree it does sound like you have some acid reflux at the moment. This can be exacerbated by stress and even if you take Lansoprazole (I do too), it can still flare up now and again.

Try to remember that it is not your tickly throat that causes your anxiety, its your thoughts regarding your tickly throat that will then manifest as symptoms, or nerves.

Your body is only responding to the thoughts you provide it with. To give you an example of how powerful it can be, imagine the following scenario;

Parachute Jumper A - 10 years experience, loves flying and jumping out of airplanes!

Parachute Jumper B - Never done it before.

So they both go up, Jumper A is full of joy, can't wait to jump! He is thinking of how much he loves the experience, and imagining his freefall and the gentle drifting to the ground once his chute opens. He ENJOYS the experience.

Jumper B? Well, they are thinking all sorts of negatives things. What if my chute doesn't open? What if the plane crashes before I jump? What if I can't pull the handle?

Those negative thoughts, are going to send a signal from his/her brain, and manifest as nerves, anxiety, fear, dread, etc etc.

Now Jumper A, is full of the joys of spring!! Because the thoughts he/she is putting in, are POSITIVE.

Notice that the situation they are in, the plane, the sky, the activity, are all EXACTLY the same. It's only their thoughts that have changed. Notice the difference?

Now bringing it back to you.

You're worrying excessively about your throat, you concentrating on it from when you wake up, to when you go to sleep.

If there was a major issue with your lungs/throat, it would be waking you up non stop wouldn't it?

You have automatically imagined the worst case scenario here, when the evidence just doesn't support it. By putting all these negative thoughts in your head, you're giving yourself these awful feelings and anxiety that you mention.

I know it's easier said than done, but start making a concious effort to start gaining a new perspective on the situation. Statistically, is it likely to be anything serious? No. Absolutely not. Do you have any evidence other than a tickly throat that you have a serious condition? No.

Distract yourself the moment you start thinking negatively, after all it's just a habit! If you do find yourself thinking "what if?", then quickly remind yourself of the evidence, or lack of in your case.

You'll be fine, I'm sure of it, and let us all know what the x ray says.

Be patient with your husband, I'm sure he's angry not at you, its likely that he's frustrated that he can't help you more.

All the best

Aaron

Aaron. You have been so wonderfully supportive, whatever happens i will never forget that.... I really do not have anyone to talk to, Of course i have my husband and my parents, but its so hard to explain.

I had my x ray yesterday and through the day all i have done is wait for that call to come to tell me they have found something. The phone rang yesterday and it scared the life out of me, I was nearly sick.

I really do not know whats happening to me. I really do not think that i am imagining this throat, it is with me all day.

You are right tho Aaron from the moment i wake up from the time i go to bed IT IS on my mind, its just there non stop.

I had a better sleep last night, but i woke up a few times, I can remember waking up and in a split second.... literately mean straight away as soon as my eyes were open..... I thought is my throat itching.... it was so horrible and strange. Woke up this morning and i am back by the phone. I keep thinking to myself i am not sure how long i can go on like this, I am so
unhappy.

If it does turn out its lung cancer god knows how i will cope, not sure i would... I am weak, and i feel myself giving up everyday, I cant go through life like this xx.

AaronB
24-06-15, 10:22
You have definitely got yourself into quite a habit here of focusing on your throat, no wonder it feels itchy all the time! :)

Any update from X Ray? The fact that you haven't been contacted yet is a good sign.

And just to remind you, you DO have people to talk to. You have an entire forum here! It might not be an instant reply on here, but there is a lot of support, and people who completely understand what you're experiencing. So take lots of positives from that.

Let us know when you get your results.

All the best

Aaron

selphie
24-06-15, 11:56
You have definitely got yourself into quite a habit here of focusing on your throat, no wonder it feels itchy all the time! :)

Any update from X Ray? The fact that you haven't been contacted yet is a good sign.

And just to remind you, you DO have people to talk to. You have an entire forum here! It might not be an instant reply on here, but there is a lot of support, and people who completely understand what you're experiencing. So take lots of positives from that.

Let us know when you get your results.

All the best

Aaron

I coughed up blood last night. I had a panic attack, My husband was so scared..... Now i am certain.:weep:

Guess what i went to straight to the doctors, the doctor i saw was so horrible to me, she just looked at me and said there is nothing she can do for me as the x rays are not back yet, I told her about the blood she just said that it could be through coughing.... NOT reassured
I broke down and she said look the results are not in and there is nothing we can do for you..... they told me 3 to 4 days, so i thought they may be in. I asked if they saw something really bad on them would they call and she said.... I cant say, as i do not know.

Here i am again today with another symptom and i am scared to death xx

AaronB
24-06-15, 20:15
Coughing up blood is not a sure fire sign of Lung Cancer. It can be brought on by repeated coughing and irritation of the throat.

Until you know otherwise, I would really recommend that you focus as hard as you can on the fact that at this stage, its likely to be something that is easily sorted, or indeed nothing at all apart from your anxiety.

Could you call the Hospital that you went to for the X Ray? It might be worth asking them if they have actually sent the results somewhere yet and if so, where to. That way you can call again and say that you're aware they have been sent, and would like an update ASAP to put your mind at rest.

When waiting for results of this kind, hours can seem like days. Which is understandable, but distracting yourself, and reminding yourself that it's unlikely to be anything serious, will help you I promise.

lofwyr
24-06-15, 21:54
I have experienced everything you have mentioned, the cough included, and in the end t was all anxiety. All of it. Years of worry, each time sure I was really going to die, positive that this time was the real thing.

The thing I have not hear mentioned is coinciding and therapy. Only when I acknowledged he anxiety could be the cause and then chose to tackle the anxiety did I understand how real the symptoms anxiety causes can be. When I was sure I had a tumor in my brain on the left side, I developed a ringing in that ear, a real tinnitus that was measurable. It confirmed to me what I "knew" all along, it was a tumor. That ti it faded when the anxiety about the tumor faded.

That's when I decided enough was enough and got help. I saw an councilor, quit drinking and smoking, started taking better care of myself even when I just wanted to curl up and die.

You know what? It got better, a lot better. I have relapses, and am in one now, but I also have tools that help me climb back out. I remember what it was like to be drowning in worry, to awaken to it in the dark hours of he morning, alone and scared. It does not have to be that way, find a councilor or therapist, get some books, and help claw your way out of this.

---------- Post added at 20:54 ---------- Previous post was at 20:51 ----------

Also a quick note to apologize as I didn't notice the thread was three pages long and was working my reply based on only the first page of replies

selphie
25-06-15, 08:50
I have experienced everything you have mentioned, the cough included, and in the end t was all anxiety. All of it. Years of worry, each time sure I was really going to die, positive that this time was the real thing.

The thing I have not hear mentioned is coinciding and therapy. Only when I acknowledged he anxiety could be the cause and then chose to tackle the anxiety did I understand how real the symptoms anxiety causes can be. When I was sure I had a tumor in my brain on the left side, I developed a ringing in that ear, a real tinnitus that was measurable. It confirmed to me what I "knew" all along, it was a tumor. That ti it faded when the anxiety about the tumor faded.

That's when I decided enough was enough and got help. I saw an councilor, quit drinking and smoking, started taking better care of myself even when I just wanted to curl up and die.

You know what? It got better, a lot better. I have relapses, and am in one now, but I also have tools that help me climb back out. I remember what it was like to be drowning in worry, to awaken to it in the dark hours of he morning, alone and scared. It does not have to be that way, find a councilor or therapist, get some books, and help claw your way out of this.

---------- Post added at 20:54 ---------- Previous post was at 20:51 ----------

Also a quick note to apologize as I didn't notice the thread was three pages long and was working my reply based on only the first page of replies

Thanks for your reply, yes its horrible when you wake up in the night in the dark and totally freak out, seems like a recurring thing now a days for me. Not sleeping is the worst.

First thing is i just need the results, then if they are normal and it is my anxiety then i will be getting professional help, as i really need it, at the moment tho, I do not think it is in my head, but only time will tell xx.

---------- Post added at 08:50 ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 ----------

Coughing up blood is not a sure fire sign of Lung Cancer. It can be brought on by repeated coughing and irritation of the throat.

Until you know otherwise, I would really recommend that you focus as hard as you can on the fact that at this stage, its likely to be something that is easily sorted, or indeed nothing at all apart from your anxiety.

Could you call the Hospital that you went to for the X Ray? It might be worth asking them if they have actually sent the results somewhere yet and if so, where to. That way you can call again and say that you're aware they have been sent, and would like an update ASAP to put your mind at rest.

When waiting for results of this kind, hours can seem like days. Which is understandable, but distracting yourself, and reminding yourself that it's unlikely to be anything serious, will help you I promise.

Still waiting for the results. I have been trying to distract myself, but its so hard.... I just want this all to be over.

selphie
25-06-15, 16:07
Just thought i would say x ray results in and they were Normal with no further action needed... I cant believe it. I was sure that i had something bad.... I want to apologize to all of you. I was wrong... Cant believe i have this cough tho for so long and there is no explanation for it?.

I am going to the doctors for some help, I know i need it. There is a little voice in my head thinking that maybe they missed something, but i am really trying to push those thoughts out. Thanks so much for all your support and advice. Its what kept me going at my lowest point. Especially Aaron.... I will never forget it xx

Fishmanpa
25-06-15, 16:17
Just thought i would say x ray results in and they were Normal with no further action needed... I cant believe it. I was sure that i had something bad.... I want to apologize to all of you. I was wrong... Cant believe i have this cough tho for so long and there is no explanation for it?.

I am going to the doctors for some help, I know i need it. There is a little voice in my head thinking that maybe they missed something, but i am really trying to push those thoughts out. Thanks so much for all your support and advice. Its what kept me going at my lowest point. Especially Aaron.... I will never forget it xx

This is the result I fully expected. You put yourself through hell for two weeks! There's no reason to live like that. I'm glad to see you'll be looking into seeking help with your anxiety. The journey toward healing starts with the first step.

Positive thoughts

AaronB
25-06-15, 16:23
Selphie, there is no need to apologise, and what fantastic news, I didn't expect anything else :)

Now, the GREAT thing about this is that going forward from now, if you have another time that you feel you're SURE something sinister is up, you can just look back at this thread and remind yourself that you are probably absolutely fine!

Never underestimate the power of our minds, and what symptoms we can create ourselves just by focusing on parts of our bodies. It's fascinating!

selphie
25-06-15, 16:36
Selphie, there is no need to apologise, and what fantastic news, I didn't expect anything else :)

Now, the GREAT thing about this is that going forward from now, if you have another time that you feel you're SURE something sinister is up, you can just look back at this thread and remind yourself that you are probably absolutely fine!

Never underestimate the power of our minds, and what symptoms we can create ourselves just by focusing on parts of our bodies. It's fascinating!

I have to admit it was unexpected. I cant believe how bad my symptoms were tho.... somebody sent me this today. I wish i had read it sooner... I never knew there was any such thing http://www.anxietycentre.com/anxiety/symptoms/anxiety-cough.shtml....

All i have to do is keep thinking positively, and remember my cough is just a cough :bighug1: xx

selphie
25-06-15, 21:01
This is the result I fully expected. You put yourself through hell for two weeks! There's no reason to live like that. I'm glad to see you'll be looking into seeking help with your anxiety. The journey toward healing starts with the first step.

Positive thoughts

I did, but for some reason my cough is still as bad as ever. I have to admit i am trying not to get anxious about it, but its hard i have to be honest. I keep thinking maybe they missed something... I know i know i really should not be thinking like that and still wondering if there is a reason for the cough. I did put myself through hell and i really do want to get things better.

I cant wait to get some help if i am honest, I really do need it xx