PDA

View Full Version : Room for one more?

Flash-t
11-06-15, 13:02
Hi There,

My name is Robbie and I've been experiencing symptoms of anxiety for over a week now. I am 38 and have had a lot of dark thoughts regarding mortality (not suicide, just natural death) not just my own but my kids parents etc.

A few weeks back I experienced some minor chest pains which I automatically assumed to be a fatal heart condition, this reulted in some minor tingling in my hands which went away. i went to see a doc who was totally dismissive but he did give me antacids for heartburn which I didn't really have. Wouldnt you know it, the very next day i developed an amazing case of acid reflux, so naturally I put this down to a fatal liver complaint, this time the tingling returned with a vengance; hands, feet chest, face the lot. I saw another doc who this time was a lot more understanding who suggested that the tingling was pshchological and from that point onward I have experienced a strong butterflies sensation along with tingling. i saw the doc again yesterday and she agrees with me that I am experiencing anxiety of some description and has put me in touch with a few NHS helplines (funding for this sort of thing in Scotland is sparce). I have been over many articles and threads on the subject, some are helpful other terrifying.

I have many questions. I seem to be axnious all the time, buterflies etc but with no rapid heart rate or heavy breathing, I tingle and yet I have no problems sleeping (as of yet) it seems to go away and return in the morning.

I take it that this is all things to all people, I feel that I have anxiety but aren't sure, so far over the last ten days I have convinced myself it's cancer, MS, Weed psychosis and currently a brain tumor.

I know that I am currently going through 'an event' and that at some point it will pass but right now I am in the middle and i am terrified. I have a beautiful wife and two adorable toddlers and right now Dad is of no use.

I dont expect a cure all, I know that this is a long haul.

I guess I am here to speak with like minded individuals for assurance, hope and courage.

Much love
Robbie.

venusbluejeans
11-06-15, 13:07
Hiya Flash-t and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

Pushthatknotaway
11-06-15, 13:20
Robbie I am in almost the same boat. I have been to the doctors and I am now on tablets and referred for CBT. I've found focusing on something else can help symptoms enough to bring myself down a bit. Just knowing other people are going through it too is help for as well i am not alone and or totally crazy.

Flash-t
11-06-15, 13:32
Hi There, nice to hear from you :)

I'm finding excercise to be really helpful. I normally go to the gym but am generally knackered after 30 mins on the treadmill, on monday i ran for an hour at an incline at a faster pace than normal and didnt even lose my breath! the only reason I stopeed was because I had to pick my daughter up from nursery.

Currently trying to train my brain in the ways of distraction and worry time. not the easiest.

Davit
11-06-15, 19:41
Yeah that is anxiety. Welcome to the long haul, it can be cured but takes time.

Flash-t
12-06-15, 14:18
Thanks for the reply, really appreciated all. x

thisisnotwhoiam
14-06-15, 11:54
Sounds exactly like my anxiety 2 years ago. I was also reeeeally hypochondriac then.
We can tal about this in pm if you have similar longing to be cured by a doctor/hospital.

Long, repetitive activities like walking for many hours (especially at night, when there weren't a lot of people around). I was scared to leave the house for fear of fainting, so I addressed my friends and found out who is really into walking and we did it together.

In terms of tactical solutions, I took up singing. Sitting in a chair and singing the news articles off my screen or just singing about how I feel - really helped.

Holding a rock or a piece of coral or some other nice textured hard item really helped to ground myself and focus on the sensations in the hand instead of heart/legs.

Massage, especially thai massage.

And yes, you will become less scared of what's happening with you with time. It will get better, especially since you are so active in seeking help already.