PDA

View Full Version : long time since posting, liver test panic :(

Jimpy
12-06-15, 05:22
Hi guys, it has been sometime, a few years in fact, since I posted anything on the forum. I still drop by from time to time and have always found the site a wonderful source of comfort. I got my anxiety in particular my health anxiety in control and have managed it well enough and had some great years with a perspective on things that was helpful and not obsessive/controlling which has been wonderful considering the state I was in! So I am really thankful for that.

I am worried again and my mind is /has become obsessive over some blood tests I had recently :( the doctor has said my liver enzymes are slightly high and he ordered some more bloods to be done and also (which for me is the scary part) heppatits blood tests. I am going out of my mind with worry about this and the reason is if I had it I am terrified I would have passed it to my wife and child. Even writing this now my hands are shaking, I don't get the results until Thursday and I know thus is going to be a seriously intense week.

As a bit of background on things, I decided to start going to counselling in September and I still go now it was prompted by a desire to make sense of the person I am and, aside from this genuine fear of liver problems, I think it has stirred up some long dorment feelings which I hope I am making sense of and will pass.

Yesterday evening I broke down sobbing in a way I really never have before, a mixture of fear about the results and a recognition of the feelings of anxiety I had when it was bad a few years back. I am scared and lost and don't know what to do, it is the fear I may have something and have passed it on that is keeping me awake, I am irrational I know at times but this is like a storm that has blown in. I have to keep going to work when all I want to do is run, and keep running away from all of this but I know I cannot. Its going to be a bad week. Really sorry for the negative post I just hope and pray all is ok and it is nothing but I'm convinced the news will be bad and I won't know how to cope. I don't care if its bad news for me but if it affects others then I don't know what to do,:(

Thanks for listening and reading and again, sorry for the negative post, I've been fine for years and now this has brought it back again. I going out of my mind and don't know what to do ,

Jimpy

worrywart29
12-06-15, 06:04
I know how nerve wracking waiting for results can be. I'm certain your test will turn out fine it's just standard procedure to test for everything if test results are a little off. Until Thursday just try to remain as positive as possible. I know it's easier said than done.

Jimpy
12-06-15, 06:13
Thank you :) I will try and stay positive, it is like my mind is on auto pilot sometimes and it just throws awful thoughts and "what ifs" at me stopping me getting rest. But I will push myself to stay positive and to keep fostering that mentality. I am scared but will keep going

Thanks again

Jimpy

Daniele_T
12-06-15, 12:09
Do you know what aspects of the liver test are high?

I have always had raised billirubin levels.
Although a sign of liver disease it is also common and present in nearly everyone with gilbert syndrome.
My tests have shown high since I was as young as I can remember.

Oddly increased billirubin gives people an overall greater life expectancy and provides resistance to blocked arteries, cancers and blood clots.

Doesn't stop me worrying about all of the above mind :roflmao:

Jimpy
12-06-15, 12:20
I am not sure which are high but I do remember the doctor saying Enzymes are slightly high, I think whatever it is the doc said is usually under 50 but mine is over 100, he did say it was only slight though. Wondering around dazed its awful how this fear can grip :( thank you very much for your reply I wonder if it is the same thing ?

Jimpy
12-06-15, 20:59
Just to leave some.context too, since my health anxiety got under control I have had an MRI, CAT scan and some other texts over the last couple of years which have not scared me nearly as much as this, I was worried about the other things but this is different it is obsessive and my worst nightmare because if I do have it I may have passed it on to my loved ones which is my worse worse nightmare. Why am I doing this :(

AlexandriaUK
12-06-15, 21:29
Hi it will completely depend on which part of your bloodwork was raised, did you drink alcohol prior to your test or take any pain killers as these can also influence your LFTs so don't worry, further tests will always be carried out.
My gamma gt is well raised so off to see a hematologist next month so like you I'm concerned as to why, iv had over a hundred separate test since September last year and am not even allowed a sip of alcohol, and even though I don't drink its a bit strange to not even be allowed one sip, so try not to worry.

Jimpy
12-06-15, 21:58
Thanks a lot i don't often have a drink so it is ulikely but not impossible (the tests where some weeks back) I can just hope all is ok thank you for the reply it is really appreciated

Jimpy
13-06-15, 06:18
Hi Alexandria, yeah I have been asked by two separate doctors if I drink! And I really very rarely do. I am just terrified I have been harbouring the virus. I really hope you get to the bottom of your tests and all is Ok. I will have to keep focused and stay as strong as possible ( always hard when I feel so down) but thanks again for the reply

Daniele_T
01-07-15, 14:00
I think it's unusual for alcohol to affect blood tests to a great degree.
Every time I've had blood tests or liver function test they've been fine apart from the billirubin which is a part of gilbert syndrome.

For years I used to drink around 4 pints of beer every night with a bit of wine and more on weekends...at one point around 100 units a week or 800g of alcohol I think in American standards.
I now drink around 15 to 20 units a week and the liver function is exactly the same.

The raised billirubin of gilbert syndrome causes a lot of very horrible and very benign or even beneficial effects.
Anxiety being one of them.
Probably why my hangovers are bloody horrendous after having only 3 pints of lager.

rachael t
10-07-15, 22:56
What was your results

JustJoe25
10-07-15, 23:22
Hello Jimpy, I had the exact same thing happen to me. I went for annual blood work last June and my ALT was raised slightly as well. I did not hear from my doctor until 6 months later when I went back. I didn't call and wasn't told to call so I thought everything was good. Anyways they took more blood work and I didn't follow up. I got tied up with finals and didn't bother going back ad the doc not telling me until 6 months later really got on my nerves.

Did you excercise at all the day before or a few days before as in heavy lifting? I read that heavy lifting can raise enzymes so I chucked mind up to that. However in April I started noticing spider veins snd in March some red palms and feet, been worried ever since even though most people think I'm crazy and just anxious I have a hard time believing it.

I'm also curious what your results were and hope everything came out well!