PDA

View Full Version : A question for those from the U.S.

Loonie
29-01-07, 14:09
I took my son for his medical at school this morning, he's 5.
We got on to the subject of imunisations. The nurse said she has friends here from the u.s. and while they are here, they are making the most of the childrens innoculations. She said they were not cheap but much cheaper than back home. She said that a visit to the doctors costs $30 before they even prescribe any medicines, usually the most expensive. She said, they think very hard before they go to the doctors as the cost gives you a heart attack!
I know we all have differing views on the n.h.s. here but we can go to the doctors without a second thought. Usually and thankfully, it's something easily sorted. I for one am very proud of the fact we get our healthcare at no cost and therefore we can all be treated.
I wondered how is it for life in the u.s and maybe canada for that matter?
Why is there no free healthcare and immunisations for the under 16 at least?
It must be extreemly hard to know when a trip to the doctors is affordable.
How do you cope when medication, that you may need, is out of financial reach?

It's not enough to say "I tried!" You must try and try again.

kilvosa
29-01-07, 14:15
Hi
We are so lucky here with the nhs when i was living in Greece 30 years ago as a nanny i had to go to the docs for some medication and recieved 14 capsuls and it cost me £1 for each one (my wages was only £30 a week then!!!!) Then we lived in Africa and the cost then to see the doctor£30 and you payed for all medication very expensive and also had to pay for vaccinations cost me over £50 and that was then.So glad we have the nhs.
Take care
Annexx

seeker
29-01-07, 15:57
Too right - I often think how lucky we are to have the NHS, which is why I get so angry with the government for fecking it up with so many middle managers and stupid initiatives. Although, there is another side to the argument whcih may be that in America they are more likely to investigate complaints thoroughly as they are so scared of being sued - I think if you had fully comp helath insurance, it would not be so bad. have no idea, thohgh - am jolly glad to live in Blighty.

Lindalou64
29-01-07, 16:31
HELLO IM FROM THE USA.....I SEE NO PROBLEMS GETTING INTO A DOCTOR RIGHT AWAY ADULTS OR CHILDREN AND WE DO HAVE FREE HEALTH CARE ITS CALLED ALL DIFFERENT NAMES DEPENDING ON WHAT STATE YOU LIVE IN AND IF YA DONT HAVE THAT ALL CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 16 ARE FREE!!!!! THEY PASSED THAT LAW AWILE AGO IF YOU HAVE NO INSURANCE.......IF YOUR LOW INCOME OR DISABLED FROM WORK YOU ALSO GET FREE HEALTH .DENTAL.....COUNCELING THE WORKS......THERES JUST A COUPLE THAT WONT COVER LIKE DERMATOLOGIST I THINK........HOPE THAT HELPED OUT YA QUESTION...............LINDA[8D]....ALSO THEY ALWAYS PRESCRIBE THE GENERIC BRAND.......AND ALSO I MUST SAY THIS ITS THE ELDERLY WHO GET SLAMMED HERE WHICH IS AWFUL WITH THE MEDS WHEN THEY ONLY LIVE ON SOCIAL SECURITY AND HAVE MEDICAID THAT NEEDS TO BE MORE ADDRRESSED..WHICH WE ARE TRYING

eeyorelover
29-01-07, 21:27
While it is true that low income people do qualify for medical,dental, and prescription assistance, I have to say that the idea of what qualifies as 'low income' is well below the poverty level. My family for example - we make about $40,000 a year and there are 5 of us but we don't qualify for any medical assistance at all. The cut off - I was told - is 38,000 a year.
I'm not whining about not having medical assistance because we will make it regardless of what help we can get. I don't expect anything from anyone! I am just giving an example of how the low income assisance works in my part of the U.S.
xxx
Sandy

Richizzle
05-02-07, 00:14
Hello, I am from Windsor, Ontario, Canada. We get free healthcare here as well. We do not have to pay for our imunizations either. Prescriptions and Dental work are payed out of your pocket if you do not have insurance through social assistance or your work though.