PDA

View Full Version : Hi I'm new to all this and a bit apprehensive

BeckiG
29-01-07, 16:36
Hello Everyone,

I've been reading the posts on this site for some now and found them very helpful and reassuring, its good to know I'm not the only one and that other people have the same issues as me. I've finally plucked up the courage to add a posting.

I'm 32 and have been suffering from health anxiety for about 10 years now. I've had periods where I actually feel normal but the last year has been horrible I seem to have gone from one health panic to another. It started early last May when a relative passed away very suddenly and unexpectedly.

I know it sounds really selfish but as soon as it happened I immediately began thinking what if that happens to me. That was it !! since then I've convinced myself that I have a number of serious life threatening (obviously) illnesses, as soon as it's proved to me that it isn't what I think I immediately go to the next one and again become convinced that I have all the symptoms.

My latest worry is that I have some kind of brain tumour. I get headaches and sometimes they last for days and no medication seems to work the doctor says it stress / tension related (but obviously I know better!!).

Also about five months a go I have a really weird sensation while sat at home copying some CD's on the PC. I suddenly felt as though I had gone into some strange dream which I was part of I felt light-headed and unreal for a few seconds. It didn't last long and I was aware of what was happening but don't know what caused it. It was like when you’re just about to fall asleep and you start to have a dream then wake up and can't remember what you were thinking about! I know it sounds strange. I also had a couple of panic attacks that day, think this first episode brought them on. I haven't had it since then and at the time didn't worry about it as I was worrying about something else then. But in the last couple of weeks I've started to worry about what could have caused it. I did the stupid thing of looking at the symptoms on the internet (bad move) as now I'm convinced it's a brain tumour and the strange thing that happened that day was a temporal lobe seizure.

I've been to see my doctor (who is very understanding and never makes me feel like an idiot or like he thinks I'm making it up) he says it's all anxiety related and has put me on Citalopram. I try not to think bad thoughts but I just can't help it I'm in a constant state of panic just waiting for another panic attack or weird sensation to happen again at any minute. I cry myself to sleep most nights and just don't know what to do to make this go away, I feel like I will never feel normal again.

Sorry this has turned in to a bit of an essay, I promise they wont all be this long ;)
;)

honeybee3939
29-01-07, 16:47
Hi Becki

And a BIG warm welcome to you, lovely to see you here im sure you will get some great advice while making new friends on the way.:D

Take a look at the first step pages also Becki you may find them of interest.
First Steps:
First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"

newgirlj
29-01-07, 16:57
hi beckie
sorry to here you feel bad all the symtoms you have mentioned sound to me like they are anxiety an theyve been exagerated by your sad bereavements
as something that may help what about writing down the thoughts you fear then write the reality of the next to them, get hubby or who ever your close to to help and read it back to yourself over and over to reaffirm the truth to your self till it sticks
ive been doing this to and its working so far but takes a bit of time
take care j

ceecee
29-01-07, 17:59
hi becki
welcome to the forum
you,ll get lots of great advice here!
take care
rach x

trac67
29-01-07, 18:09
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xx

'Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain'

manmoor
29-01-07, 18:11
Hi Becki,

A big warm welcome to you. I too have suffered health anxiety for 10 years so sympathise with you totally. Everyone here is lovely. xxx

"When There Was Only One It Was Then That I Carried You."

nomorepanic
29-01-07, 18:50
Hi Becki

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

Hope we can be of some help.

Have you asked the doctor if you can be referred for some CBT - that is very effective at treating HA.

Feel free to post as much or as little as you want to.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

tam
29-01-07, 19:29
hi becki welcome to nmp you will get lots of helpful advice here,and like you say its good to know people understand and your not on your own take care tracy

weepinky
29-01-07, 19:37
Hi Beckie

Just thought I'd pop by and welcome you to nmp, you will find everyone here very helpful and supportive hun.

Luv Pinky

sal
30-01-07, 12:47
Hiya Becki

Welcome to the forum. It is quite common to get thoughts like you have after something major has happened. Lets hope the citlopram helps you a bit, i am on it and after the first few weeks it made a great difference.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

BeckiG
01-02-07, 09:40
Just wanted to say a BIG thank you to everyone who has replied to my posting and for the advice. It's great to know we are all here for each other. Thank you, Becki xx