PDA

View Full Version : Part Time work

Ntll
14-06-15, 20:25
Hi there, I hope someone can advise me.

I've been suffering with anxiety and depression for most of my life. There are many reasons for this but it hasn't been helped by a struggle to find regular employment.

I'm so desperate to find work and I'm sure that it will have a positive effect on my life. At the same time I know I would not be able to cope with full time hours. In the future it's something I'd like to aim for but I know it's not an option in the present.

Of course full time entry level jobs are few and far between anyway. But if a potential employer at an interview asked me why I only want part time hours, what do I say? Do I be honest and disclose my anxiety and depression?

I know there are many reasons people work part time, but I feel in my circumstances there's no real reason and I might look lazy? Maybe that's me worrying too much!

Thanks.

sial72
14-06-15, 20:42
Hello
My honest opinion is that unfortunately no, I would not tell them the truth, at least right at the beginning.
People who have not been through this might feel that because of anxiety and depression you will not be as productive or that you will miss work a lot for health reasons.
If the ask you why you only want part time, you can say you are studying or family reasons or whatever.
I you don't want to put yourself in this situation then you could maybe apply for part-time jobs.
I'm sure working, even if it is only a few hours will help you feel better.
Good luck x

Ntll
14-06-15, 21:19
Thanks for your response. I do apply for part time only roles. But at the same time a lot of application forms just ask how many hours you are available, which is where I worry they'll find it odd that I just want 20 or so hours work a week.

sial72
14-06-15, 22:55
Maybe it's me, but I don't get this. Surely if you are applying for part-time when they ask how many hours the expect you to answer part-time hours?