PDA

View Full Version : Health Anxiety, Panic & Insomnia.. The Journey so far.

dreamies
15-06-15, 20:05
So, as a form of therapy to myself I thought I'd write this in the hope of possibly being able to help at least one person even if it's just reassurance, this is my journey so far. I hope, a few of you out there may just want to share your journey..

At 16 I had my first panic attack, convinced it was travel sickness I went to the Drs. I was told I had panic attacks my favourite memory was when the Dr told me they were nothing to "worry" about and they would be a "passing phrase" of adolescence, that was six years ago.

Over the years my panic attacks evolved, I became depressed. I was so terrified of the panic attacks that I completely isolated myself from anyone and everything that I though may be a "potential trigger". I can not express enough that if you have a panic attack, DONT RUN! Turns out, if you can hack breathing and staying through the situation it's the best thing you can do, unfortunately I didn't know that. My depression led me up to go from a young, slim, outgoing happy adolescent to being severely overweight, miserable and isolated. I never stepped a foot outside of my house.. For six months! The irony was that I was far to anxious to even see my Dr.

For over two years I obsessed about my health, convinced myself I had cancer in some form or another, any lump, bump or even spot would drive me into hysterics.. I can not count how many times I cried myself to sleep. Ironically, the weight gain actually did lead to actual health problems and after six months of being isolated in my house I finally left.. In an ambulance. I had asthma, which untreated lead to very severe nasty chest infections.

When I finally sought help for my asthma, my doctor told me it was anxiety, not asthma at all, it was only until I was hospitalised for a third time after an exacerbation of asthma that left me needing fluid drips, x-Rays, steroids anti-biotics, stomach liners etc. that he took notice. What a ******!

My health anxiety atm is through the roof, I'm currently waiting on results of a blood test after my white blood count was 24, although I had a chest infection, it was still much higher that it should have been.

Not all doom and gloom though, I have over the years found several things that help..

Chamomile tea - tastes crap but you get used to it and it really does help.

Hypnotherapy - free apps on the App Store, they really calm me down although not for everyone I recommend one called 'I can'.

Write stuff down! Thoughts, feeling and worries of the day. It helps!

Breathing techniques.. YouTube, helps get your breathing under control but also helps you keep it under control especially 'belly breathing'.

Gym - not only does it help you sleep, it really does help you feel much better and happier.

Try to divert your mind when your transfixed or obsessed about something, I constantly used to monitor my pulse.. Firstly think of how lucky you are that your heart beats! Secondly, do a crossword, wash up.. Anything!

Anxiety is a struggle in more ways than one. Stand up for yourself, get the help you need and don't forget to live your life! There is nothing worse than knowing you have wasted so long in a state if fear!