PDA

View Full Version : A crude question about stools but I have to ask?

reddevil
29-01-07, 19:11
Hi all,

For months, I have had trouble with going to the toilet because of my anxiety, can go several times, which I guess could be IBS symtoms of anxiety.

For some stupid reason I have been checking over the last few days and what is bugging me, I have noticed some of the stools have been black in colour, not all black but parts of the stool.

This has been playing on my mind and I can not find many threads on stools, when doing a search.

Is it possible that stools can be black at times because my mind is playing with me again about cancer.

I had my prostate checked 12 months ago and I do not want to go to the doctors with this matter as I'm kind of doing ok at the moment.

Red

sophieunderscore
29-01-07, 19:18
I think this is something to see your doctor about, even just for your own piece of mind

It's probobly nothing but if it's worrying you then it needs to be checked out.

Sophie

matilda
29-01-07, 19:20
Stuff youre eating or meds can affect the colour of your stools!!!

lass
29-01-07, 19:21
Hi Red, I'm always happy to talk about bowel movements - it's my fixation lol!

Stools can vary a lot in colour depending on what you are eating. I believe a high red meat or iron intake can make them very dark. Also constipation can make them darker as they are passing more slowly through your body.

I have had periods of studying mine in great detail and sometimes I notice flecks of black in them. This, I think, is from green leafy veg (spinach, kale, greens). Also I take fibogel from time to time and I this also gives black flecks.

I was told once that stools should be the size of a banana and walnut coloured - which then lead me to believe I must be seriously ill because mine aren't like that!!! I have spent many many hours analysing what is down my loo, and worrying myself silly about it.

Do you have any other symptoms at the moment? If you are very worried, then you may want to see your GP for reassurance but if you are doing ok at the moment then maybe leave it a week or so and see if it changes. Maybe keep a note of what you are eating and see if it has any effect on what comes out the other end?

Best wishes,

Caroline

seeker
29-01-07, 19:41
I agree with Carolione - lots of things can cause very dark stools. I find red wine make mine very dark and/or green! Black stools caused by blood, whcih is what I assume you are worried about are usually very foul smelling - retch worthy. My doc also said blood acts as a strong laxative - you have very bad runs. However, it could be that you have diverticulosis - inflamed folds of the digestive system, which can bleed slightly. I would go to the docs and ask them - they'll probably ask for a sample. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about, however.

lewis_k
29-01-07, 20:34
i'm no doctor but i remember reading that bleeding caused by bowel cancer (or any bleeding in the lower intestine) usually apears red in the stool. black stools can be caused by stomach ulcers.. but i agree these things change all the time, usually from food or wine or something harmless, no two stools are ever exactly the same color. if it continues or gets worse and you can't explain it a talk with your doctor might be in order, but it doesn't really seem to be something to worry about. as someone here said once before, normal people never inspect their stools.. it's more a sign that you have HA than anything else.

Sheik N Shimmy
30-01-07, 10:57
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote"> I find red wine make mine very dark and/or green!
<div align="right">Originally posted by seeker - 29 January 2007 : 19:41:42</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

I'm glad you mentioned this as I was going to ask if it was only me! Also, after red wine I wake up looking like I've put dark red lip-stick on. It looks terrible with stubble [Ugh]

When I was in the depths of despair with anxiety I couldn't go properly even when I needed to or else I couldn't stop peeing.... out the back passage. [^] When the anxiety started to lift things went back to 'normal' but it took several months.

Keep On Keepin On

reddevil
30-01-07, 11:56
Hi all,

I tried phoning up the doctors surgery this morning but when I finally got through,, all appointments to see my doctor were taken.
I will try first thing tomorrow morning as I had black in my stool again this morning.
I'm in a mess now today, don't feel like eating, talking or doing anything, just about to book the afternoon off work as I can not concentrate..

Red

rachy_babyx
30-01-07, 14:38
Hiya reddevil

i'm sorry to hear your feeling anxious. i started having panic attacks while in hospital after having my son and asked the nurse in a hysterical panic to look at my black stools, it turns out to much iron was causing my stools to go black.

so it might be something you've eaten or being constipated can change the colour.

Also IBS does do funny things to stools especially if you need to go a lot

if your really worried go to the doctor to set your mind at ease, he may diagnose IBS (which is more an annoyance than any sort of danger)

hope this helps
love
rachel

strawberrie
30-01-07, 14:56
hi red, iron can definitely be a cause of black stools, as they tell you about this if you get prescribed iron tablets. Also, i'm not a stool expert (although i like to think i am lol), but from what i read somewhere, if you have black in your stools, it will be quite jelly like if it is blood (i guess like congealed blood). If it is just bits of black in there, i would think its more likely just something you've eaten, it doesnt sound like it is blood from what you have said.

mag

richard sharp
30-01-07, 15:35
hi red i know just how your feeling as ive been to the docs and had my lower bowel checked out because ive had blood on my stools sometimes. that was clear but now hes sending me to hospital in 6 weeks for a more in depth look and im feeling very down just as you describe with worry. did you explain to the surgery why you wanted to see the doc? the surgery i attend will get the doc to give you a ring even if you cant get an immediate appointment, perhaps you could try that at your surgery and see what they say.

reddevil
30-01-07, 15:40
Hi,

My close friend has told me meat can make stools black, is there any truth in this?

Red

richard sharp
30-01-07, 15:46
i have seen on several threads that a number of things can alter the colour of stools but it doesnt mean its serious, it can be what youve eaten as you say but its better to get it checked out

richard sharp
30-01-07, 17:12
anxious is my middle name. the test i had at the doctors was where he inserted his finger in my back passage to feel for lumps , that was only about a minute at most and then on my 2nd visit they inserted a flexible tube up my bottom which has a camera on the end so the doc can see anything there that needs sorting, again it only seemed a short time and it felt a little strange but nothing to get up tight about and believe me it doesnt take a lot to get me going. the tests were clear so now hes sending me to hospital where there going to insert a longer tube to look higher in the bowel and they give you relaxants etc for that. cant say i much like the idea of that but my wifes had this and many other tests done in the recent past without getting to upset. its just im such a wimp but it needs to be done so ive got to accept it.

reddevil
03-02-07, 10:21
Hi,

I did not go to the doctors as my stools appeared to look normal Thursday and Friday and then my anxiety lifted from me, I was happier.

But today (Saturday), I went to the toilet, thought I would just check once more and bit's of black in there again.

I'm starting to ask myself is it down to food or is it something serious?

Yesteday was my birthday so I had the day off work and had a cooked breakfast in the morning up town (bacon, sausage, hashbrowns, mushrooms and black pooding) and I went out for a meal late last night (chicken, chips, peas and gravy) and two pints of beer.

Could any of yesterdays food cause any black parts in the stools?

Red

seeker
03-02-07, 11:47
Erm, yes, the clue's in the name and ingredients, in black pudding!! This is just blood after all, so it makes sense that there would be balck bits in your stools! Are you actually in any pain at all? I think if there were something very serious going on, you would have black sludge/jelly in your stool and be in quite a lot of pain. Sorry, don't mean to sound rude, but I really don't think you have anything to worry about. try cutting meat out of your diet for a week and see if that helps!

reddevil
03-02-07, 14:00
Hi,

I don't have any pain when going and I think I will try cutting out meat for the next 7 days, see if things go back to normal again.

Red

reddevil
11-02-07, 14:57
Hi,

I have had an interesting time of late.

Some days, my stools are just normal brown and other days like today there appears flakes of black in the stool.

Last night i ate a balti and this morning my stools looked ok but this afternoon there are flakes of black in them.

Can this be normal as stools are 95% brown?

Red

langlim
11-02-07, 17:40
HELLO,

I'M SURE BLACK STOOLS ARE CAUSED BY IRON DEFICIENCY.

SOMEONE I KNOW HAD DARK BLACK STOOLS AND HAD BLOOD TESTS, TURNED OUT SHE WAS ANEMIC. LACK OF IRON CAUSES DARK STOOLS

LAURA

lass
12-02-07, 18:45
I'm sure they are completely normal - I've wasted many hours analysing mine and worrying myself silly! Probably most people have this but don't bother looking too closely!

My nurse friend assures me that if I had blood in my stools, I would know about it. She also told me that I need to stop looking for proof that I am ill, because I'm not!

My advice would be to see your GP if you are really worried, and maybe get a blood test or stool sample (just to put your mind at rest, not because I think there's anything wrong) or, if you can cope without this, then to stop looking. I started making myself go to the loo in the dark because I was getting so stressed out about it!

Caroline

lass
12-02-07, 18:49
I'm sure they are completely normal - I've wasted many hours analysing mine and worrying myself silly! Probably most people have this but don't bother looking too closely!

My nurse friend assures me that if I had blood in my stools, I would know about it. She also told me that I need to stop looking for proof that I am ill, because I'm not!

My advice would be to see your GP if you are really worried, and maybe get a blood test or stool sample (just to put your mind at rest, not because I think there's anything wrong) or, if you can cope without this, then to stop looking. I started making myself go to the loo in the dark because I was getting so stressed out about it!

Caroline

reddevil
12-02-07, 19:12
Hi,

Thankyou for reply.

I think I will stop looking as it has been normal again today.

Red

darkangel
12-02-07, 19:19
hi red

glad to hear things are normal again for you.

think about how long you have been analysing and you are probably at the conclusion that what is produced can vary depending on different foods.

the best advice i can give is - stop looking.

try doing this for say a week and you will soon stop even thinking about it.

the more we focus on something - the more it takes over our life.

take care

darkangel

........life is for living not just for surviving

sarahxxx
06-01-15, 18:27
i have been eating spinach and brocoli last 3 days and got loose dark green stools