PDA

View Full Version : Advice Please

ShaunD
17-06-15, 11:29
My Phycaratrist prescibes me 3 x 5mg Diazepam on repeat prescription every month and has done for the last 5 months.
After reading all the horror stories on here I don't take that amount and somedays just go without them as I worry a great deal about being dependent on them.
On the days that I don't have them i do feel worse but I just try and deal with it and not take any.
Sometimes I just have 1 x 5mg per day to get me through it.
What I am asking really am I ok to take 3 x 5mg per day for this long and will the withdrawels be as Horrific as I keep reading.
I have askes my Phycaratrist who says she is not concerned as my level of anxiety is very high at present and I need them.
I don't really want to go against my doc but it just worries me that she is wrong and I will become dependent on them.

---------- Post added at 11:29 ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 ----------

Forgot to say I am also taking Mirtizapine 30mg btu doesn't seem to do much for my Constant Anxiety.
Looking for the best Natural Remedies if anybody has any suggestions.

sial72
17-06-15, 12:29
Hi Shaun
Has you psychiatrist offered any other kind of help for your high anxiety other than medication?
Are you having any form of therapy to help manage your anxiety?
The thing is that medication can maybe help the symptoms (or not if you are anxious about taking them) but they do not cure, so my opinion is that it is important to do other things to help decrease the anxiety, like sport, improving diet, Magnesium...so that when you are feeling better you can come off the meds.
I have been through withdrawal after years and years and yes, it is hard sometimes, but it can be done.
Good luck x

ricardo
17-06-15, 13:02
Hi Shaun
Has you psychiatrist offered any other kind of help for your high anxiety other than medication?
Are you having any form of therapy to help manage your anxiety?
The thing is that medication can maybe help the symptoms (or not if you are anxious about taking them) but they do not cure, so my opinion is that it is important to do other things to help decrease the anxiety, like sport, improving diet, Magnesium...so that when you are feeling better you can come off the meds.
I have been through withdrawal after years and years and yes, it is hard sometimes, but it can be done.
Good luck x

Goood reply,sial

5 months on 3 x 5mg of Valium is already longer than recommended by some doctors but to take them as and when required is usually acceptable.

It is a bit of trial and error and the knack is to anticipate if possible when you are more than likely to have heightened anxiety and take one tablet beforehand.(this is not easy to do)

A simple example might be taking a tablet 30 minutes before you go to the dentist.

karenp
17-06-15, 15:54
I quit Diazepam 2 years ago after a slow taper. I was fine. I am on Ativan now which is so much stonger and it does nothing or me now. I can take 4 mg which is like 40mg os Vallium and it not touch me at all but I have had none today and feel ok. Thogh I have drank some wine to keep calm.

ShaunD
17-06-15, 21:27
Hi and thanks for the replies.
I am currently awaiting therapy but there is a 12 month waiting list in my area for Therapy.
I do currently take magnesium glycinate and do try to exercise if I can .
I am trying to save up the money to go private councilling but its £50.00 per session but if it helps I will pay it once I have saved enough but not sure how many sessions I would need.
It just worries me tremendously regards to keep taking these diazepam everyday of which I try not too but some days I just need it.
I should go with whatever the doc says as she is the proffesional but I like to talk to people who have actually taken these meds and been through it themselves.
Many thanks for your replies and maybe I think its just reassurance i need that i am ok to keep taking these but as you all know thats what Anxious people need.
Thanks again

dally
18-06-15, 23:48
Hi Shaun
Please Google the Ashton manual
It will give you loads of information about diazepam.

Diazepam is very useful for anxiety
But, tolerance CAN build up within a couple of months.
Meaning you have to take higher doses to get the same effect
And the DEPENDENCE can occur.

There are variables
There seems to be people who are more prone to dependence thanothers.
Age and health also.

For me, the biggest eye opener was that the drug stays in your body for up to 8 days, long after the 4hours of effective antianxiety has finished. So taken continuously, the drug builds up.

However, if you need it, you need it. And people on here have posted that you can come off it successfully.

MyNameIsTerry
19-06-15, 10:06
For me, the biggest eye opener was that the drug stays in your body for up to 8 days, long after the 4hours of effective antianxiety has finished. So taken continuously, the drug builds up.

Much longer than that as well as 100 hours is just the "half life".

ShaunD
19-06-15, 12:10
I wish really that I had never started it due to all the horror stories but got no option at present as there is no other help.
My doc just keeps giving them me as he can't offer anything else as the waiting list on the nhs is over 12 months long.
I do not want to become dependent on these as this make my Anxiety worse but I really have no option as my Anxiety is just throught he roof at the minute and reading the horror stories about this medication does make me worse.
There has got to be more education and funding regards to the nhs as there is just no help whatsoever in my area .
At a loose end really and just worrying more regards to these tabs.
When I ring my doc he says don't worry you need them but he can't offer me anything else.

MyNameIsTerry
19-06-15, 13:39
Hi and thanks for the replies.
I am currently awaiting therapy but there is a 12 month waiting list in my area for Therapy.
I do currently take magnesium glycinate and do try to exercise if I can .
I am trying to save up the money to go private councilling but its £50.00 per session but if it helps I will pay it once I have saved enough but not sure how many sessions I would need.

I suggest you have a look at AnxietyUK's membership benefits webpage because they offer a sliding scale of fees based on income & savings. You just have to join them before accessing anything and that's only about £30 a year and with if being through their network you have some added piece of mind and cover if you need help to tackle an issue with the therapist.

ShaunD
19-06-15, 13:46
Thanks Terry

lindy lou 2
19-06-15, 14:09
Hi Shaun, I am just cutting down on diazepam, been on 3 x 5mg er day for 3 yrs, they don't calm me down , at all, I am withdrawing at the moment on my psych docs advice, have cut down by 2 1/2 mg per day, been 2 weeks now & nothing horrendous, I am also withdrawing from mirtazapine, it used to help at 15 mg, but I was increased to 30mg , then 45 mg my anxiety went through the roof at that & I quickly dropped back to 30 mg, now taking it very slowly, did 1/8 the of tab for four weeks, now am on 22.5 mg for another 4 weeks, also zopiclone, been on 7.5 for years , when I was on paroxetine, as the y stopped me sleeping, sadly paroxetine stopped working, after keeping me straight for years. I have been on 3.75 mg for about a year now, also cutting down on them. P doc advised taking one every other day, but all of this withdrawal together is a bit much, so I am taking one zopiclone one night , then half the next. I am with you on not taking them if you can, your body gets used to them, then they don't work & you have to withdraw. Don' worry too much about the horror stories, we all react differently. I understood paroxetine were the worst to come off , but I have done it numerous times without too much trouble, I am taking it very slowly with the mirt, just in case.
We do not get enough help with mental issues in this country, and GP's don't really understand these drugs they dish out like sweeties
I am hopinging to be off everything one day, I am on .5 mg of risperidone too at the moment, last ditch attempt to try & calm my anxiety. I have asked about seeing a psychologist and got nowhere, like you I cannot afford private.

joining on here can be a big help, as you realise you are not on your own.

Best wishes
Linda x.

ShaunD
19-06-15, 15:58
Hi Linda and many thank for your support and reply .
I was on Mirtizapine for 2 years and stopped it about 6 months ago but recently started it again at 30mg but not doing anything for my anxiety like it used too.
I will just have to keep on with the diazepam at present and try to only take 2 x 5mg instead of 3 but some days I have to have 3.
Hopefully like you if I can get some proper help and therapy etc I can eventually try and come off them but at the minute I have no option as like you said the mental health options are very limited on the nhs unless you have plenty of money to go private .
Many thanks and if it's any consolation I came off Mirtizapine fine just a few sleepless nights but not much else .
Thanks Shaun xx

ShaunD
02-07-15, 18:51
Yes I think your right . I took my first tablet 3 hours ago and just keep running to the toilet every 10 minutes . I do have ibs though but hopefully these are just start up affects but I've only had 1 tablet lol.

---------- Post added at 18:51 ---------- Previous post was at 18:50 ----------

Sorry ignore the above message that's on the wrong thread

sial72
02-07-15, 19:25
That is very good info from Terry.
If you are afraid of taking the medication this fear will make you more anxious, I would try to accept that at the moment you might need them but think of it as short-term and try to find alternatives to manage your anxiety...have you looked into mindfulness?

ShaunD
03-07-15, 19:52
I haven't looked onto mindfulness but am awaiting some kind of councilling but threading list is very long in my area but thinking of going private when I have the funds .
My pdoc has just starting me on sertraline along with my mirtizapine which I didn't think they could be used together but apparently they can as she assures me .

MyNameIsTerry
03-07-15, 23:06
Thanks Sial72, I really appreciate that.

ShaunD, that's good news. I was wondering why they weren't trying Othery meds and sticking with Diazepam. I guess it was her strategy to stabilise you first?

If you want to try Mindfulness follow the link in my signature. There are many free resources in there including a full online 8 week course and I will keep adding new things as time goes by.

ShaunD
04-07-15, 12:33
Thanks Terry and I will look at those .