PDA

View Full Version : breast ultrasound

Pet59
18-06-15, 09:11
I went to the doctor last week as I had been feeling a bit rubbish but looking back now, it was all quite normal given what had been going on.

Anyway, she poked and prodded at my tummy and said all was fine, listening to my heart and lungs, all fine. She asked when I had my last smear and I said jan13 (called every 3 years in the UK but I don't live there anymore). She asked when my last breast ultrasound was and I said I never had one as I'm under 40. She didn't feel my breasts or anything but said she would book me in for an ultrasound.

Now I am freaking out about this ultrasound - what if they find something? I am trying to rationalize with myself and think that this is all routine in this country (because I know it is) and like the breast ultrasound is just like going for the regular smear ie routine. But I cant help worry about all the what ifs. Anyone any advice

lyndau63
18-06-15, 11:21
Hi,

It is different in the UK as we do not have routine ultrasounds; we have mammograms...much more painful! I wonder why she did not check your breasts; that would have been helpful to have some reassurance whilst you are waiting. However, it really does sound like she is just sending you to put your mind at rest and then you will have had a really thorough check all over! Try to look at it like this -easier said than done, I know. I always get very wound up when I have my routine mammogram and think 'What if', but when it is over you will be glad you had it done.

swajj
18-06-15, 12:12
My gyno sends me for a mammogram and an ultrasound. I think your doctor is just being thorough.

Pet59
21-06-15, 06:37
So I decided I couldn't wait until Wednesday and my partner was going to the doc on Saturday for his MOT so I went too to see if they could take me. They could. I had my bloods done for thyroid and glucose and she also did my breast ultrasound. I asked her was everything OK and she said everything looked ok, normal and no cysts. It was a relief until I started thinking, well even there was something untoward, she was hardly going to tell me. The my partner convinced me that she wouldn't have said anything then other than to wait for the follow up doctor appointment.

So now I am waiting for my bloods to come back and then have my follow up appointment, Thanks for the replies. :)