PDA

View Full Version : Brain shake!

Angelcake
29-01-07, 22:28
HI,
I have been mostly posting about ectopics and General anx disorder - but I just wondered if anyone has ever had the feeling that their brain is shaking in the skull???

I get this every now and then, and have done since my early twenties and was a lot lot worse when I had serious problems coming off seroxat (that was in 2000 and I had this feeling before, and since then).

It isn't a pain or a stab or anything - just a vibration, or a shake. I can be just sitting still, or walking, or lying in bed or absolutely anything - when it really does feel like my brain shakes for 10 seconds or so, then back to normal. It frightens me everytime and makes me feel like grabbing on to something.

I've never really told anyone about it, but wondered if it could be yet ANOTHER symptom of GAD???

Anyone else get this???

Sarahx

nomorepanic
29-01-07, 22:47
brain shakes (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4334)

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

ro44
29-01-07, 23:10
Sarahx,

Oh my Gosh! I can't believe your post. I have felt this before but thought it sounded to crazy to be possible. I have felt a quick vibration like shake in my head too. I've always thought it was to do with my neck. Do you feel like it's at the back of your head? Do you have neck or shoulder tension, stiffness or anything like that? I've been laying on the couch and felt it. The first time was a few years ago when I was just sitting in the living room chair. It lasted several seconds and scared me to death. I called my neurologist in tears. He never could tell me anything. Do you feel dizzy with it? I don't. Please tell me more, I have been dying to hear from anyone else who has had this.

Rhonda

Angelcake
30-01-07, 00:15
Thanks Nicola and Rhonda,

Rhonda i have PM'd you to explain a bit more - but the main points were that... I don't get visual disturbances, pains or dizziness. Just shakes/vibrations!! I do sometimes feel it in the back of my head, especially at night I think. But mostly its the crown of my head - right through the middle, which is why I describe it as my brain shaking. Don't know if that can actually happen. I thought it may be an Ear, Nose and Throat thing cos I get sinus and ear problems - but it truly feels like my brain!

I do get shoulder and neck tension - so I guess it could be to do with that. But my 'shaking' is normally higher up.

It is scary isn't it - although I've been having it for so many years now, I think if it was anything sinister, it would have let me know by now!!

Its GREAT to hear that someone else knows what I'm talking about :)

Sarahx

jo61
30-01-07, 08:34
HI Sarah, I can so relate to your post. I had the same sensation a few days a couple of weeks ago. I told my psychiatrist who looked at me as if I had 2 heads rather than a shaking one! Glad it's not just me.

Jo

ro44
30-01-07, 15:36
Sarah,

Thanks for the PM. It really is a hard symptom to describe, isn't it? I sure wish I knew what exactly is happening when I feel this. I really think mine has to do with my tight neck, upper back and shoulders. One time I had it when on the computer while using the mouse with my right hand. At that time it felt more like it was in the right back side of my head. But I often get them when laying on the couch on my side watching t.v. It is so strange and frustrating because no one can explain it. Thanks for responding.

Wishing you the best,

Rhonda

pinkdante
30-01-07, 22:14
Sarah,
I've been going out my mind with worry since that happened to me back in the summer and i've posted my worries in sites saying i've had shaking/vibrating in the head and so far no one else has replied so i thought it as just me. The 1st time it happened i was so scared i went to a & e! I tend to just get the vibration bit now but since then the anxiety took a hold and i got loads of other things too like electrical feelings in my head, weird vision things etc so your not alone. I've since found out my friend has it too and we've only had it since having baby no 2 coincidently! Best wishes xxxxxxxxxxx

Angelcake
01-02-07, 00:27
Hi Pinkdante,

Its so nice to know I'm not the only one who has a vibrating cranium!! I haven't had children, so it can't be that for me - although I guess it could be linked to hormones...

I just wondered what they did/said when you went to A&E?? Anything interesting?

Sarah xxx

debstar
02-02-07, 02:34
I get this too. What a relief that I am not the only one. I also suffer from vertigo so I thought that it may be related to that.

I have had an MRI done and everything was normal.

Deb

looking4answers
02-02-07, 22:49
Yes has to be a symptom of gad..i had that years ago and although lately i havent really had it to speak of.. I had it for almost two or three years and the n it disappeared.I ask doctor after doctor about it and they would tell me that it was anxiety .. well what can you do if your doctor tells you that its anxiety.I just remember it was bizarre and wanted to tell you that your mind can play horrible tricks on your body making you feel the strangest things that you have ever felt and could even imagine but what scares me the most is what if all this is not anxiety and that the doctors are not right and that its some rare disease that they don't know about.Look at me..I hear my pulse pounding in my ears almost all the time,any other time the doctors would put you on meds saying anxiety they are just now figuring out after many years when a person is older and they lose weight it makes your heart more audible because there is no padding to keep you from hearing the heartbeat or arteries and it is something physical.. so its like a bunch of people that are trying to find the causes for physical things although at the present all they can do is try to write it off to anxiety ..Its just really scarry that we are the test subjects..

PRAYER FOR FREEDOM FROM SUFFERING

May all beings everywhere plagued
with sufferings of body and mind
quickly be freed from their illnesses.
May those frightened cease to be afraid,
and may those bound be free.
May the powerless find power,
and may people think of befriending each other.
May those who find themselves in trackless, fearful wilderness--
the children, the aged, the unprotected--
be guarded by beneficent celestials,
and may they swiftly attain Buddhahood.

loli
03-02-07, 22:33
hi there ive always wondered about this too and i also get it it lasts for like no time and all i can think its like an electric shock thing cant explain it properly but i also feel like running somewhere away from myself basically it scares the **** out of me and then its gone really weird stuff but glad im not the only one, no-one has ever been able to explain it.

loli
03-02-07, 22:48
hi there ive always wondered about this too and i also get it it lasts for like no time and all i can think its like an electric shock thing cant explain it properly but i also feel like running somewhere away from myself basically it scares the **** out of me and then its gone really weird stuff but glad im not the only one, no-one has ever been able to explain it.

Angelcake
03-02-07, 23:43
Well, its so nice to know that there's a fair few of us who seem to get this - I had a little one today when out shopping and although it did stop me in my tracks for a second or two - i don't think it scared me quite as much! Thats all thanks to the replies, which really do help to put your mind at rest (a bit!!).

Its such a bizzarre feeling that I don't think I'll ever not be mildy concerned, but at least I may not feel like i'm about to keel over anymore -

Keep the replies coming - its really reassuring to see how many 'fit ' and 'healthy' people have exactly the same experiences! ;)

Thanks again guys...

Sarahx

wildchildajx18
20-03-07, 22:24
OMG SAME HERE!! mine last a while though it does feel like the center of my head is shaking and it scares the crap out of me !! i always jump to brain tumor

wildchildajx18
20-03-07, 22:27
No Beeping way!! i have the same thing!! accept its in the center of my skull and it doesnt come with vision changes etc. I always think its a brain tumor!! it lasts until i go outside :ohmy:

JimP
21-03-07, 11:48
In the original post you said that you wer on Seroxat??

A lot of peole on this dreadful drug, including me, experience this, it's called "The Zaps"

It's linked to a few SSRI drugs I think.

I went through a spell fo having them every couple of hours, but they seem to be far less reuglar now.

HTH

Jim

joolee
21-03-07, 14:20
I used to have that feeling when i used to be on seroxat i dont have it any more i havent been on any meds for four years now and ive never had any again i blame the seroxat for mine xxx

Angelcake
21-03-07, 23:44
Hi Jim, Joolee and wildchildajx, Thanks for all the posts.

The seroxat thing...I don't know whether or not I could link these vibration feelings to coming off the seroxat now because I've been off meds for over six years now!! I had them before I took seroxat too.

SO - it must be a brain tumour after all - lol :D

I've thought about posting in the medical section and asking RLR, but feel kind of embarassed!?! Would that be of benefit to anyone else??

mandie
22-03-07, 11:13
Hi i get this too

im so glad to know im not alone in this. The come out of the blue and can be very scary. i seem to get alot of mine when im standing washing up or cooking for some reason
mandie x

joolee
22-03-07, 12:23
Hi Sarah i think you will be fine try not to worry i dont think you have a brain tumor go to your docs again and talk to him or her and tell them how worried you are and its putting stress on you and that will not help the shakes hope you feel better soon love Julie xx

foodpop88
31-05-17, 01:50
My doctor said the vibration brain feeling is caused by stress or high levels of anxiety.

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk