PDA

View Full Version : sepsis from wisdom tooth infection?

kitkats
19-06-15, 00:36
today i woke up in a lot of pain from my wisdom tooth, and it turns out that i need to get it pulled. they didn't really tell me why, just that it has flared up and has a slight infection.

which is really upsetting for me to hear. i hate having infections because i'm so afraid of sepsis. i asked if i needed an antibiotic and they said no, not that this stage.

but today when i was flossing, in my last molar (which is in front of the wisdom tooth) i started bleeding really badly into my mouth? like, a lot of blood. so i'm scared that i popped an abscess or something and now the infection can get into my blood stream.

i'm 18 years old and i have a good immune system. i don't feel sick right now but i'm so scared and upset. i was just getting over this bout of health anxiety as well :/

Davit
19-06-15, 01:22
Blood flows out, sepsis won't go up stream. Even when it quits bleeding, clotting would encapsulate it or block it. I would be more worried about it being incased and expanding forcing it into your blood stream. Keep the hole open and use lots of salt water to flush it out and you will be fine.

kitkats
19-06-15, 02:07
Blood flows out, sepsis won't go up stream. Even when it quits bleeding, clotting would encapsulate it or block it. I would be more worried about it being incased and expanding forcing it into your blood stream. Keep the hole open and use lots of salt water to flush it out and you will be fine.

it stopped bleeding pretty fast and the wound is actually like, in that crevice RIGHT between your last molar and your gum at the back on the bottom. so it's actually kind of forced to be "closed" i guess :-( anything to worry about?

rsanchez
19-06-15, 02:08
They did tell you why it needs to be pulled. Get it pulled sooner rather than later and you won't need to worry.

kitkats
19-06-15, 02:09
They did tell you why it needs to be pulled. Get it pulled sooner rather than later and you won't need to worry.

i want to, but they scheduled my consultation for tuesday :/ they made such a production about it, and then they tell me i have to wait a weekend?

Emilym80
19-06-15, 10:24
There's no way they'd look at it and tell you to wait that long if there was a chance that you'd develop sepsis from it.

Take care :)

kitkats
19-06-15, 21:15
There's no way they'd look at it and tell you to wait that long if there was a chance that you'd develop sepsis from it.

Take care :)

that's probably true! i'm just a little annoyed because the dentist told me that it wasn't infected, then the hygienist said it wasn't, then the hygienist said it was a minor infection, and then when i called back to ask if i needed antibiotics they said, "no, it's not infected." like? i'm so confused, i don't understand what's going on at aaaaall. part of me is wondering if they can't actually tell? or if maybe i'm getting ripped off :/