PDA

View Full Version : Medication phobia

Torah75
19-06-15, 19:57
I'm new to this site but just wanted somewhere to seek a bit of reassurance sometimes as I'm starting to feel like my husband is losing patience with all my anxiety issues. Since having children 5 years ago I started getting random panic attacks for no apparent reason. It has gradually been getting worse and worse and I have now developed numerous phobias such as flying and taking medication. I seem to have developed social anxiety without even realising it was happening. I can hardly make eye contact with people any more and afte school runs I walk back into my house and end up crying most days as I feel like everyone thinks I'm strange down there as they all seem to know each other. The reason I'm writing at the moment is because I had to take a tablet this morning and uve had ain't every side effect listed with it - bad nausea, upset stomach. Headache, aching arms and legs. I'm so scared I'm having a bad adverse side effect from it - I cmt seem to stop shaking as I googled this and on some sites it says seek medical attention and on others just lists them as regular symptoms. Im now too scared to google it any more and too scared to phone 111 as they take hours to phone you back and I'm terrified they will say to go to hospital. Ive recently come back from holiday and I was waking up every night with panic attacks and racing heart. Anyway I won't go on just wondering how others cope with this?

AnnieMags
19-06-15, 20:54
So sorry to hear you are struggling like this. Have you seen your GP about it? You don't mention it so I am just wondering. Apart from medication, counselling and other talking therapy could be of great benefit, too, but you need to either see your doctor if you haven't or go back to him if you have for a proper diagnosis and management. You should not have to cope with this on your own. You mention that it all started happening after having children - were you ever diagnosed with postnatal depression? You don't mention what medication you took this morning, but it does sound as though anxiety is the most likely reason for your reaction. I am not a doctor, though, so if your physical symptoms don't settle, get them checked out. Meanwhile try to distract yourself to see if they abate when you don't focus on them so much. Best wishes from Annie :hugs:

Davit
19-06-15, 20:58
Welcome.

Oh there are lots of coping skills you can use but wouldn't it be better to cure it. There are very logical reasons for why you are the way you are. There are simple ways to put you back the way you were, but they take some understanding and lots of time but they do work. My advice is to read the information threads first. Those starred, mine and others. it will give you understanding. The other threads only let you know you are not alone. You might find the thread "riders" interesting.

ricardo
19-06-15, 21:31
Welcome.

Oh there are lots of coping skills you can use but wouldn't it be better to cure it. There are very logical reasons for why you are the way you are. There are simple ways to put you back the way you were, but they take some understanding and lots of time but they do work. My advice is to read the information threads first. Those starred, mine and others. it will give you understanding. The other threads only let you know you are not alone. You might find the thread "riders" interesting.

You make everything sound so simple lol.

Davit
19-06-15, 22:12
Ricardo.

But it is simple and that was the annoying part. Remember I was like everyone else. Anxiety was destroying my life. I didn't understand it. I didn't understand why I did the things I did and felt the way I did. I thought I was broken. Yet my brain was working exactly as it was meant to, just with the wrong instruction. It has one ability. Function, but two ways to do it depending on instruction. One is survival, the other is pleasure. Some cross over. Eating, survival or pleasure. Survival usually comes first. Roller coaster or driving at speed. Survival comes first. Yet some things don't have the survival attached to them unless we put it there. Even watching a movie gets stored two different places. (sometimes more) Almost every thought or observation has survival attached to it. Amygdala is supposed to take care of it without bothering you. It would if it had "not important" attached to most survival thoughts but with an anxiety disorder it has important or very important attached and that waves the red flags and rings the bells. To get rid of the flags and bells you give it a reason too. That reason is positive thought. If you want to keep negative alive you only need one thought. "doubt" Simple hey. Just using the wrong path. And the wrong path has no signs on it to tell you so. It has me standing there saying not that way. On the other path is a stack of books saying step off the path, you don't have to go all the way. It is too much work. Well it is too much work. We are too busy to put in the time. Take a pill and read the books in the evening and dream but don't really do anything about it. The pill will fix it.
So I keep posting and keep getting varying response. Truth is it has been good but doesn't show because it is PM or Email mostly. Like I said a while back, I will explain anything I post. I have one goal and that is to see people as free as me. Notice I didn't say everyone. You really have to want this and you have to have the time. Some people have neither. And it isn't their fault, it just is. So I am an option. If what you are doing is working then I'm happy, if it isn't then try me. You might be surprised at the result. Or just take the pills.

ricardo
20-06-15, 09:59
Thanks Davit as you always reply but quite honestly I don't really understand your response.

What is this "If what you are doing is working then I'm happy, if it isn't then try me. You might be surprised at the result. Or just take the pills."

Maybe I am just thick