PDA

View Full Version : Agoraphobic through my 20's

benjamin222
20-06-15, 10:42
I'm 29 years old now, and it is just starting to hit me that I've spent the vast majority of the last 10 years crippled with fear avoiding human contact, confrontation, heartache, love, happiness... avoiding everything that makes you a person, really. I havent had had a girlfriend (or sex) since I was 21. Dead-end jobs here and there, but mostly just living with my parents and playing video games. I get bossed around by my family constantly, I can't even remember the last time I had a day where I didn't need to run at least one errand for someone. Ok so I don't know where I'm going with this post. Just felt a need to share. Can anyone relate?

Oosh
20-06-15, 20:45
Yeh avoidance will do that to you.

Everything can change from today. Choose some actions to take to change things and feel the fear and do it anyway.

I think when you've been pushed back by anxiety and avoidance like that you have to run away from that prison as fast as you can and stay involved. Hiding away is where you lose all your confidence so it's important to get back out there and stay there.

Any opportunities to get on a proper career path instead of being in and out of dead end jobs ?

What about dating sites. Try and find someone in your area to date.

Change is a big antidepressant. Give yourself something positive to wake up to tomorrow.

Soulcatcher71
20-06-15, 20:51
Change is a big antidepressant.

That's a great point.
Sometimes, if you deliberately force yourself to do something you never normally would - when you come out the other side of it you feel great, sometimes euphoric.
I've found very often that a lot of my anxiety/panic is habitual - it becomes almost a habit that I get into, and its a hard one to break, but often it subsides greatly after I've had something unique occur in my life.
I hope all that makes sense?

MargaretHale
21-06-15, 22:37
Just wanted to wish you luck :) I'm trying to break out of the Ag trap too.

MH x