PDA

View Full Version : Fear of getting tetanus, hypochondriac

Kauboi
20-06-15, 19:11
Hello all

I am new here, about three weeks ago I injured my finger by rusty nail, small wound, bleed a bit a that's all.
I even don't tough about it no more.
Then somebody told me about tetanus, I remembered that I had my last shot as teenager and now I am 43 years old.
Immediately I rushed to doctor and get my shot done but it was about the week after the injury.
Then I made a worst mistake what hypochondriac can do, I went and Google it.
After that my life went to hell, I noticed all the symptoms that I can image.
I am having a panic history and not feeling well at all.
Now I am still worried and can't relax because the shot was little late.
I have been visiting 4 doctors, all say that there is almost no chance to get tetanus, as I am vaccinated properly as child but the fear is killing me.
I know that usually it takes 3 to 10 days to symptoms to appear and I have already three weeks since injury but it's not calming me down.
And I don't know now, are the things I feel at the moment caused by my imagination, booster shot or what.
Do be honest, I am little freak out.
Tonight for example my neck feels little stiff and of course its worsening by panic.

AnnieMags
20-06-15, 22:26
Hello and welcome to the forum. I honestly think you are worrying over nothing. I used to have terrible tetanus anxiety at one point years ago but the doctor told me that the childhood/teenage vaccine programme was likely to have resulted in lifelong immunity (apparently if we could have tetanus antibody testing before getting boosters, most people would not need these) and that if you were to get tetanus despite having been vaccinated as a child, it would be only a very, very mild form as you already had a lot of 'ammunition' in your immune system to fight it. He said that the vast majority of tetanus cases occur in people who have never been vaccinated. Four doctors have already told you that you will be fine and apart from this, I am sure that with the booster you have had this time, you are more than adequately covered for decades to come. Tetanus is not your problem, anxiety is. Best wishes from Annie

Kauboi
21-06-15, 10:09
Thank you Annie
I understand this but the power of fear is big thing. I try to calm down but it's not so easy.
It's terrible to be a hypochondriac. But we have to live with that.
Have a nice summer.