PDA

View Full Version : It won't go away!

Ollie28
21-06-15, 00:28
I'm having terrible head pain and nerve pain that won't go away along with "these" terrible episodes of some sort of mini kind of stroke things - I can feel the pain in my head then the nerve dado pains then my body shuts down and I go all weak then it feels like I'm being crushed my head and my body and I struggle to actually try to breath it's so intense I don't know what to do no more.
It happened 3 times today they last about 5-15 minutes each there really painful and scary - once they lift I yawn a little like I'm just coming out of a coma or my body is waking back up, there hard to explain the sensation other than sharp and crushing and I lose all cognition other than basic awarness -
Can anyone help me with what they are or migh be or how I can cure them?

I'm still having terrible cognitive problems I'm close to calling it aday now I've no life no more I just suffer in pain with what feels like 20% intelligence and cognitive function, I constantly feel wrong and in pain, I've no awarness and I struggle to acesss memories.

It's my little boys 3rd bday next week so today I went toy shopping with my wife, because of the way I feel my perception or cognition is stuck I find it hard to try to concentrate for evern a few minutes so trying to walk around a busy toy shop trying to pick toys and work things out with in 5 minutes I was in pain but I kept going, then my cognition and awarness go completely I'm basically running on nothing my body teams as up my head starts feeling crushed, then the nerve pains start and the breathing problems, I'm just walking around pretending I'm ok when really inside I'm a mess - my body can't cope, this is because how my perception feels stuck, it feels like I'm stuck in the front of my head all the power is there so everything I'm doing I'm using this part and it sends my body in to a mess. I had to walk out to the car to try to bring my body back to some sort of cognitive state, that's when this stroke like thing started, pains in my head, I try to just watch it but then it feels like I've got a blockage in my brain I can feel a pushing kind of feeling like bloods trying to push all my brain open so it feels. I'm fed up I'm in such a painfull mess and I can't get away from it.
I'm a decent bloke and I've got two young kids ffs why am I being left to suffer like this!!!? I never get a break away from how I feel unless by chancec it feels like my body suddenly relaxes and my brain opens up fully and I get everything back, other than that I'm a cognitive and painfull state that just crys all day out of psin and frustration at how I feel now

Davit
21-06-15, 00:53
Ollie

The cognitive can be changed and what ever symptoms it is causing. But in your state you are not going to believe me. You are no going to believe either that your body and mind are working normal, they just have the wrong instructions. So how could you believe changing those instructions will fix you. Right now I doubt you could understand how to do it. If I was your therapist I would be spending weeks on each point trying to get it across and more weeks making sure it stayed there. Six month, maybe a year to see any improvement.
But you would improve and your cognitive would turn around. I don't know if this kind of cognitive bombardment is even available where you are. You might have to do it on your own. I did it mostly on my own so it took a long time.

Ollie28
21-06-15, 17:47
I'm 80-90% in this state struggling but then everyone now and then I have episodes of either it just lowering and I open up or it just clicks away but it only lasts a few moments. I don't know how to deal with it I've been trying to work it out what helps and how but I can't see a pattern to it. I know by taking my time to sit can help calm my body to calm the nerve pains but the cognitive state is always there it gets worse the more anxious I get or the more I have to concentrate which in turn created the nerve pains again. I've been told I can't work it out with the part of the brain I'm stuck with, im starting EMDR & motor psychotherapy next week.
What ways, techniques, therapy can you recommend? CBT is not going to help me I can't use the rational part of my brain the decision making or rationalising working things out. But when it lifts or I click out I can I feel intelligent and can connect to memories and thoughts and feelings and ideas it's like coming out of a coma or long detatched dream.

As I type this now I'm in pain i dont feel aware really of what I'm doing I just know it's as if I can connect to it. I know people say it's dp stay away don't think about it but it's to strong to do that its to painful cognitive dysfunction is so bad on how I perceptually feel outwards and in my body I'm really struggling.

It feels like my old life was a different life I can't get back to like I've become disconnected or lost - I look at old photo graphs and it's like I'm staring at someone I can't come t to or know.

The only thing I find that relieves my symtoms if only for a few moments is crying usually out of frustration I open up along with my cognition a little then 5 mins later the pains start. Feels like I'm emotionally and my body is psychologically trapped in some state. Debating asking for electric shock treatment I'm suffering that much with my cognition awarness or myself and surroundings and my feelings and pains.

---------- Post added at 17:47 ---------- Previous post was at 13:49 ----------

Would you know is my problems because of the Limbic system and the amygdala?

Been reading a lot of Peter levines books - something is going on with my brain and nerves, something major to be suffering so so much with cognition problems.

All this I'm going through and I don't experience panick attacks - is this common with anxiety?

Davit
21-06-15, 18:46
Panic attacks are only one side of Amygdala, the other side is contemplation. It can send the message to Hypothalamus for reaction straight or it can send it through the panic side of Amygdala which would cause panic before Hypothalamus created the reaction. Amygdala has it's own memory and in that memory is your symptoms which it thinks are normal. You have to override this. Crying is neutral, Amygdala doesn't have a reaction for it. But Hypothalamus does. Hypothalamus controls Pituitary. Pituitary controls all your organs, including BP and rate. Hypothalamus controls the Serotonin that controls muscles and movement. The more anxious you get the more Serotonin you use. If you are low on Serotonin messages can get mixed, blood vessels can get restricted and give you head aches, muscles can work against each other and more information can hit your brain than it can handle at once. Rest allows a temporary gathering of resources so you get normal moments. I'm not a doctor and can't recommend but for me I would use a mood stabilizer because of its sedative effect and because mood influences Amygdala. It would allow Dopamine to take some of the load off Serotonin. Melatonin is made from Serotonin and it is for sleep and calming. Change diet. Milk, egg, meat and oats have lots of Tryptophan. Tryptophan makes Serotonin. Make sure there is a carbohydrate with it. SSRIs do not make Serotonin, they keep you from losing it.

Best overall therapy for you is to concentrate on positive thought so you bypass Amygdala. You will still get a bad reaction because Hypothalamus doesn't have anything else right now but that will change.

Ollie28
21-06-15, 21:03
This is the best bit of advice I've been given by anyone I've seen over the last 2 years that includes 4 Drs 2 therapists 3 psychiatrists and a neurologist!

I've been trying to find out more technical what actually is going on in my brain and body other than the usual basic fight or flight and adrenaline - I use to be able to think more intelligent and technical being as domestic gas enginneer but seem to of lost most of my intelligence or so it feels because of the way I feel now.

I've been looking in to and trying supplements like 5htp along with magnesium to try to help, I've been taking lecithin along with L - canitine also omega 3s and b12. I been taking L- thanine to try to relax or calm the cortisol stress feeling.

Is it possible to have tested brain chemicals through spinal fluid? If I'm low on serotonin I'm seriously low, it's as if I'm in a coma and in pain and bad bad cognitive problems yet when I suddenly snap put or it lifts it's as if I wake up out of it and I do yawn too so it is a very very lack of something. I thought blood flow or oxygen is how it feels but it's not I've had a MRA.

So if I go my Drs tomorrow and ask to be put on a mood stabiliser medication this should start to help? That's mad that as I do find my mood fluctuates so rapid along with thoughts of on a up then down then anger then upset - I was like that when going through the reason I'm like this.

I have changed diet and I've started back boxing training despite being in pain and struggling I'm piling on the weight because I'm not function physically because of my cognition and feeling of perception change.

As you can probably imagin feeling how I do I had to re read your post over and over to take it in and it makes perfect sense to me some off symtoms are changeable by simply doing different to what my body is telling me to do and if I do il yawn like I've psychologically changed something it's crazy! If possible and you was me and you put a plan together what things would you do on a daily basis, what supplents if any would you take, I'm so desperate to feel like I do when I open up or click out of it il pay for someone's advice and help!
I've been researching the brain chemicals what does what, what foods help what supplents help I've tried alpha gpc plus loads others with no avail.

I know the brain is a complex thing and I've well and truly messed mine up so it feels going through a traumatic event I just want back what I deserve. I've never hurt anyone or ever treated anyone bad I honestly feel like I'm being punished for something I don't deserve.

Can positive thinking really help in that way with the brain?

Thank you so much for you advice
Ollie

Davit
21-06-15, 23:27
Positive thought bypasses Amygdala so there are half as many synapses in play and half as much Serotonin used. Possibly even less. Calcium and Magnesium work with Serotonin. Potassium smooths out muscle action so they don't hurt so much.

Doctors prescribe SSRIs more often than mood stabilizers. Serotonin is not controlled by mood. Dopamine is. Trimipramine or similar is the drug. It is a mood stabilizer but classed as an anti depressant still. Side effects are dry mouth and sleep. It works very fast, not like SSRIs that take two weeks. There are no tests for Serotonin, they would not be accurate anyway. 95% is in your body, only 5% in your brain. fMRI shows brain function and can show misfiring due to no serotonin. It isn't really necessary. You could become a guinea pig. They would find you interesting. fMRI is how they found the pathways in the brain and that negative thought goes through Amygdala.

Omega 3s keep free radicals from damaging the brain physically. B12 stimulates long term memory. It can let you access positive memories from before you became like this. It can also point out the core belief that caused it. This can be good or bad. 5htp will make Serotonin if you get it into your brain, take it with a small amount of carbohydrate or a bowl of cheerios and milk. Avoid foods with the other seven amino acids like meat at the same time. They compete. Oats and eggs have Tryptophan in them and the carrier needed to get it into your brain. Meat does too but it also has the other seven amino acids.
Eating this way has helped me a lot.

Ollie28
22-06-15, 10:13
This is all a big help to me thank you so much! - I'm trying to figure this out for myself now because my DR believes he's done all he can do for me but I'm going to make an appointment to ask about the mood stabilisers for certain.
I think work stress physical and mental got me started I can remember back to when my behaviour started to change but then I was hit with a highly stressful event. Plus my diet was terrible and despite being only 28 I didn't really look after myself - most days ild be working so hard and have so much work to get through I wouldn't eat all day or sometimes have a drink! I was to stressed.

Taking in to account what you have explained to me there I was looking at L - tryptophan supplementes, my diet is mainly chicken egg and meat now anyway but was thinking of buying a supplement. L - tryptophan turns to 5-htp in the body so would you suggest just getting a good strong 5-htp or buy both? The htp turns to seratomin and also to melatonin (which we can't buy in the UK) so hoping a good decent supplment will also help promote a better sleep for me.

This is strange but I've noticed too things like - having my hair cut relaxing in the chair then looking better after woods also lifts my symtoms if only for a few moments - if I do something I don't want to be doing but then come away from it gives me a lift but again my cognition lifts so somewhere in there I'm lacking something critical and there's something going on.

Mind if I ask have you come through something similar? You obviously have a good knowledge and seen to know what your taking about I'm trying to learn as much as I can to come through this.

What kind of supplents, medication and diet or things did you find you got the best results from?

I'm currently taking omega 3, b12, lecithin, l - carnitine, magnesium, vit c,
I bought ginkgo biloba but not sure if it will help me. L- thanine I take usually at night or if I'm feeling really bad - not really felt any effect from it tbh.
I bought some alpha gpc & citicoline but again not really took them as the first time I took alpha gpc i was terrible in all sorts of pains and cognition problems, not sure if it was this or I was just having a terrible day as I do.

I've stared back excercise my wife now comes with me we do private sessions of fitness and boxing which if only anything it's giving me something to do as I don't feel the benefit from it because of how my cognition & perception feels all the time, hopefully it might help lose weight if anything - strange that how my cognition and perception feel makes me not be able to feel the good feeling or benefit after excercise! Usually before this I would walk away from football training or any other excercise and feel the feeling of feeling good but I no longer do it like it isn't there no more why I feel like I do, it would be there though when I have episodes of it lifting or clicking out of it I get all my feelings and cognition and intelligence back.

Can you recommend any good books to read on this type of subject? Something that can help me get my brain and body back to how it was if not better? Thank you again I appreciate all your time and help more than I can express in words.

Ollie

Davit
22-06-15, 17:15
One good thing to come from the internet is condensing. There is very little filler to wade though like in books. I must admit I didn't use books. I could read and cross reference ten articles on the same subject for free and with less time than one book.
Edmund J Bourne has the only books I can really recommend. The anxiety and phobias work book has both information and worksheets in it. It is the only one I bought.

Serotonin doesn't come in supplement because it can not cross the blood brain barrier, Serotonin in your body can not get to your brain, it has to be built there. There are eight essential Amino acids. Each has a carrier to cross the blood brain barrier. Tryptophan is the only one with a different carrier. If you eat a carbohydrate with a meal then you get a short insulin spike that uses it and then uses the carriers on any of the amino acids except Tryptophan. It then has free rein to cross the barrier on it's own. You only want a little carbohydrate. Apiece of toast or hash browns with your eggs. I can not say if taking supplements helps because I don't know if they would have the carrier Tryptophan needs. In that article was something about stripping the carrier from the other seven amino acids keeps them from being stored as fat and forces them to be used or wasted reducing weight gain. I have lost 15 pounds but some of that is probably from consuming fewer calories and enjoying those I do more. I feel better. I certainly enjoy meat and sausage and sauerkraut is my favourite. I make my own sauerkraut and it is much better than store bought.
Boxing like martial arts affects Amygdala's memory in a good way. The reactions it stores are used for other thoughts passing through it. So it is important to think positive during and after. I'm glad your wife is involved. That alone is a positive.

I'm retired I was forced to retire due to arthritis but my boss knew I didn't have an option but to continue working till I got my disability pension. They worked my ass off and hate is a word I don't use because it is very negative, but I hated my job, the long hours and them. Some of this negativity contributed to the pain by affecting Serotonin levels. Previous jobs were long too but I enjoyed them.

The fact you feel good after doing something that boosts your self esteem (haircut) just reinforces the fact positive thought improves well being. Mental and physical. You are young and probably don't need supplements but they can not hurt. Put more faith in positive thought. It will reduce the load on your neurotransmitters making you feel better both physically and mentally. So will a mood stabilizer.

shellckk
22-06-15, 23:45
Hi the symptoms you are describing sound to me a lot like cluster head aches my brother suffers terribly with these to the point he now we're he can no longer work

MyNameIsTerry
27-06-15, 08:04
Montmorency cherries are a source of Melatonin, Ollie, so perhaps worth taking a look at those which come in drink form or capsules thesedays as people are finding them useful for treating inflammation, particularily Gout.

Omega 3 has helped me a lot. I even stopped taking it for 3 weeks at Xmas when I was slobbing around for a bit and my mood had sunk by the 3rd week. Within a couple of days of being back on it, I was stable again. I had been having strange mood swing periods that only started when I upped to the standard dose of Duloxetine (60mg) and it never helped me to balance it but Omega 3 did!

I suggest you check out Oosh's "Fish Oils" thread on the Natural Remedies board as he has done a fair bit of research into it all.

The studies I read were using 1000mg+ to treat depression. It was interesting. It was either 1000mg+ of EPA or DHA (I can never remember which) so I started one that gives about 800mg+ of each and it was a Tesco own brand so it was very cheap. Just be wary of the ones that say "High Strength" because most are not when you look at the EPA & DHA on the labels and tablets are always much lower than the liquid forms.

Davit
27-06-15, 08:15
Cherries work. Did that for years, so does turmeric in capsules. But your skin turns yellow.

Ollie28
07-07-15, 21:52
Cheers mate il look in to the cherries, tbh my sleep isn't that bad, I can fall asleep no problem alot better than I use to, I use to go bed with my wife and she was always off before me ild have to spend half a hour thinking over the day - prob anxiously! Now it's now the falling asleep it's the quality of how deep I can get, I always wake feeling like I need more though regardless.

I spoke to my dr about the mood stabiliser he was not wanting to offer me any he has told me i need to speak to my psychiatrist about this - my therapist/psychiatrist though seems more for the therapy route, he is trained in psychomotor therapy and EMDR and believes all my symtoms are somatic from trauma and childhood memories, I've read a lot in to this with Peter Levine and pat Ogden and read a lot in to Trauma. I agree with some and can relate but I still feel like my neurologist said my illness is chemical related.....I'm just lost! - I haven't seen my therapist for 2 months and my next meeting is on 29th! He's that good he is hard to get to see him on the NHS.
I've been in contact with Benjamin fry my wife has actually been talking to him, after reading his book we sent him a email & I've been offered a place at Khiron house if I can get the funding sorted. I'm just happy to try anything to reach a point I can have some sort of life. I've basically just slept all day today I've been so tired - especially after food. My wife went out I was home alone so I grabbed one of Levines books - healing trauma, I must of read 2 pages and I took the knock! Just tired and down constantly I can't shake it off no matter how much I try

---------- Post added at 21:52 ---------- Previous post was at 21:28 ----------

Funny I was taking omega 3s for about 2 months, I stopped taking them as I was trying to figure out why I was getting a bloated stomach a lot thought it might of been them but it's not - since I stopped my mood has dropped. I started trying coconut water too ment to be really good for you, I eat coconut oil pure cold pressed raw anyway so figured anything 100% natural might help.

Cheers terry il look in to oosh's thread. Thank you

MyNameIsTerry
08-07-15, 04:45
Ollie, it seems to me that you could try what your psychiatrist is suggesting to see what benefit it brings. Its surprising just how much somatoform disorders can do, things we couldn't think could be influenced because they are automated or things that shouldn't happen because we shouldn't even be able to influence a system in the body, but they do.

If your neurologist feels its chemical related then its up to him to prove that and if he can't, it would likely be an issue for the psych route anyway.

Do you believe that you have traumatic memories from your childhood?

Its funny isn't it how much things like Omega 3 affect us yet the medical profession just don't bother promoting it?!

There are things you can try to help with the bloating and it could always be that you could benefit from improving your digestive health e.g. probiotic supplementation. Or maybe keep a food diary for a bit and see if there are any patterns?

Ollie28
08-07-15, 20:02
Had a horrible day today mate, woke up feeling better than yesterday but with about 60% cognition and in pain, just been sat looking back at how I use to work I was always anxious about time always under pressure and always rushing even when I didn't need to rush it was as if my body was constantly in a state of fight/rush/anxious fast paced. I never slowed the pace down no matter how small the job was I had to complete I just rushed my mind racing to get to the next job or the next house - even if I had no work after that job I still would rush but I didn't realise I was, I've messed my body and mind up by firstly working like this then secondly being on fight mode for 4 months 24/7.
I don't know what more to do I can't cope with how I feel mentally or physically. I feel like I have fibromyalgia but I don't have muscle pain I have nerve and head pains. Just always tired and my brain is constantly off leaving me to grind out painfull thoughts - I feel stuck in the front of my head as you would when you get angry and all the blood rushes to the front, I'm stuck like this so feel like I can't access the rational part of my brain to work with the more I try to do because of the way I perception ally feel the worst the pain becomes. I cant access ideas or thoughts it's crazy how my cognitive perception has altered maybe only therapy can help me with this. I can get my body in to a relaxed state to try to access the part of the brain I feel I'm not using and I can feel myself trying it creates nerve sensations I can stay like this a little while but soon as I move I go back to how I feel. This is psychological isn't it?
I just had a massive blow out something I don't do to often but I've had enough of how I feel and what I'm going through so I broke down crying - lost my rag started punching pillows letting out some anger and frustration cried for about 20 minutes - calmed down then as usual felt better but was yawning like I had lifted a little and I was coming out of a deep sleep - something psychological has happened to my body I need to get out of it before I do something I regret.
It's hard to live the way I feel I have no life and the way my perception and cognition feel like I can't rationalise or take anything in and feel
Aware of it like it's just happened act I just feel like a cognitive mess 24/7.

I'm going to keep taking the omega 3s regardless. The neurologist I thought could of helped a bit more but didn't. He did give me a Mri and a mra along with a eeg but I still feel there is a possibility something has happened to my brain and nerves he could test me on. I still have mini stroke like episodes too that I would of liked them to witness and look at.

I just feel like my life's over there's nothing but suffering left for me now. I'm still only 31 I have a 3 year old and a 8 year old I just want to be healthy to watch them grow and enjoy them. Life shouldn't be this hard mate no one should have to go through stuff like this especially when I've worked physically hard since the day I left school hoping one day I can travel watch my kids grow ect. I'm lucky if I can go the shop 50 yards away on my own without getting in to a cognitive painfull mess and work out what I've come for.

There's one thing I can't understand in all my illness though is how I can suddenly just "click" out of it like it just goes and I get everything back my intelligence, rational thinking and feeling, awareness, cognition, it's frustrating!

Been having really scary things happen lately - a few times I've looked at my wife and it's felt like I'm seeing her for the first time like I don't know who she is I've never seen her before! It's worrying me am I getting Alzheimer's!? Obviously I know who she is to know it but perception wise and it registering it's as if she's a stranger I've just met. This has happened with my kids too and at times I can't process the thought of what they look like!!! I have to close my eyes and picture there faces as I can't just imagine it if I don't do this! Mate I'm so worried why is no one helping me?
I don't do anything to make this happen it's just pot luck.