PDA

View Full Version : Osessive thoughts- too much deep thinking

valleyshadows
30-01-07, 10:49
For the last month i have had the same obsessive thoughts , i keep thinking and wondering how i am able to think, picture images in my head, have memories, and everything there is to do with the mind. I am too aware of whats going on in my mind. I just keep deeply thinking about how the mind is here....if that makes sense?....when i get too into it i get a bad anxiety feeling of dread and it makes me feel sick (depressed). im just afraid that if i continue to think like this i will go completly insane..Can these thoughts lead me one day to go crazy?...its very hard to explain how i think, im just way to aware of whats going on in my mind, its very very confusing and mind boggling.. isn't this how people go crazy? i can't stop thinking like this, its like my brain has been reprogramed into thinking this way.

valleyshadows
30-01-07, 10:58
I understand that its normal to have obsessive thoughts with anxiety but my obsessive thought is just to out of the ordinary, it just doesn't seem right to have this kind of way of thinking...to me its unheard of..i have never heard of anyone who has has this kind of thought...thats why im very concerned.. If theres anyone out there who knows alot about obsessive thoughts please tell me whats happening to me, i don't want to end up crazy..

poppy
30-01-07, 12:38
Hi,
The thoughts you are having are perfectly normal. We all have thoughts about the things that scare us most, otherwise we wouldn't be anxious.
People who are going crazy are not scared of this because they are unaware. The fact that you are worried that you are losing your mind means you definatly aren't.

If you fight to rid of these thoughts then they will just stick harder. Someone once said to me 'what would you do if i said dont think of a pink elephant' of course one sprange to mind immediatly.
The way i would suggest you control these thoughts is to just let them be there but try not to add to them with fear of something bad happening. Once they hold no fear they hold no power and eventually they will dissapear.
Hope this helps.
Poppy

sal
30-01-07, 12:53
Hi Valley

I was just like you and became obsessive about my thoughts. I dreaded i was going to act them out and the more of thought of them i believed i was a bad person, at times i was too scared to go into the kitchen where the knifes were.

These thoughs cant make you go crazy hun, firstly my CBT once said to me just because you think you are going to win the lottery tonight it doesnt mean you will. I always remember that when i get over anxious and all my rational thoughts go out of the window. Another thing hun if you were crazy/mad you wouldnt know about it as crazy/mad people believe there is completely nothing wrong with them.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

Jaybird
17-02-07, 02:31
Valley

I just wanted to say OCD is something VERY real and something that most of use who suffer FROM IT think we are CRAZY, but we aren't we are not CRAZY. It is something baffeling to us I really encourage you to get the book BRAIN LOCK you are only 18 and seriously the younger you accept it and learn how to deal the better. CBT threapy is GREAT

gret126734
26-02-07, 19:50
I totally relate to that deep thinking. I catch myself trying think what are thoughts anyway? And then it devolves into thoughts about my identity and all this existential stuff. But no you will not go crazy. The fact that you recognize what you are doing and the displeasure it causes means that you will not go insane from all this.

This is a form of Pure O that rarely do others have. I am researching and seeking a therapist who specializes in this form. It's going to take a really creative behavior therapist to deal with this stuff.

AntiLove_SuperStar
23-10-08, 09:01
Get a psychology book on Cognition out of the library or bookstore - cognition is ALL about how we think, mental imagery and the like. Read it and you might not feel crazy, cos in fact there's a whole branch of psychology devoted to it..I'm studying it right now in uni!

Evolution has given us consciousness because it's useful - that's one theory, seems to be a good 'un, maybe look that up as well?

There's nothing wrong with you....and philosophically yeh, people and the world itself may just be mere sensation, I recall philosophy A level..

don't worry.

lifeissweet
04-11-08, 16:36
hi valley!
im in tears just now because this is the first itme ive found someone who has the same thoughts as me.

recently ive got a grip of it and i dont want to think about it too much or i believe ill start obsessing about it again, but for the last months or so i have been very awar eof my thinking, my brain and HOW we think. lik every thought i imagine it going around my head, and worry what if i cant think, what if i go to think a thought and i cant! does that make sense? i also am known to lie in bed and constantly repeat my name in my head to check i can still remember it, things like that.

i am so relieved someone else does this, i have managed to stop it for now by just keeping busy and one day i thought "oh i havent thought about that for a while"...i found it to be worse late evening when im tired so obvioulsy a tired mind is also a very anxious mind for me!! anyway take care and if u want to private message me about it feel free x

samantha8889
01-11-12, 10:57
I know this is a very old post but I totally get it!! If any of you who posted on here sees this could you please tell me how you coped with it. I am thinking about thoughts way too much. It's deeply upsetting, I'mthinking what is a memory? Where and what are my thoughts. It's taking over as all we do is think. I am slowly going insane with this. Sooooo scared right now!!!

tothemags
06-05-14, 04:00
Hi! This is a terribly old post, but I absolutely understand that panic! I feel an association of dread as well when I think this way. To be honest it only affects me when I've smoked weed. When I haven't smoked I'm able to control that obsessive need to fixate on the idea and move on to another thought process. But yes, oh my gosh, this is the first time I've ever heard it adequately explained. I'm so happy just to relate to another person.

Sugarspellitout24
07-05-14, 00:10
Man that guy posted on here just yesterday! That's kinda weird. We both stumbled across a crazy old post about the same crazy thing at the same time. I also feel just like this though and it's great to see other people dealing with the same exact thing. I thought I was messed up for thinking like that.

Ikaeoph
07-05-14, 00:57
Same as the one before me, it's old but I think posting here will help, I have had this too and its been destroying me, loads of weird thoughts racing around constantly it's like being punched non stop... the weirdest ones I get don't even make sense I got one that was 'how is my shirt different to a black hole' and then a sense of sudden dread in my whole body... so weird but so hard to cope with anyway knowing I'm not the only one helps a tonne ty.

alice123
13-05-14, 13:00
I think people with this disorder have better imaginations than those who do not. I for one could do without it though.

redbuddha
01-07-14, 03:12
I find it strange that I found this exact thread when I did. I guess I felt compelled to say that I share these same feelings and it is comforting to know that there is other people out there that feel this way. Thanks.

Prospector
07-08-14, 00:03
I can relate to this. My personal solution to such questions was to affirm that there is a reality. Everything you question is speculation from this reality. Nothing can escape reality as everything is reality. So theoretically due to our minds being PART of reality, we can never gain an insight beyond reality. Reality is therefore unknown which reinforces my previous thesis about speculation. This gives you unlimited reassurance that you can question from now until infinity and no meta-impact would be made.

Also, I've often found existential thoughts can combine with magic thinking in ocd which is why many feel 'dread' or as if they are entering oblivion. Typical anxiety symptoms such as derealisation do not help and often cause such thoughts.

LadyVee
01-11-15, 16:23
I know this is an old thread, but I have been searching the forum to see if anyone else was experiencing what I am, which is the same obsessive thoughts the OP described.
The headspace app is helping, and I've been on 50mg sertraline for 5 years, but just had a relapse over the past 3 weeks. Depression has developed too alongside these thoughts. My GP has asked me to take my propranolol 3 x a day, and then come back next week.

MyNameIsTerry
02-11-15, 06:30
I know this is an old thread, but I have been searching the forum to see if anyone else was experiencing what I am, which is the same obsessive thoughts the OP described.
The headspace app is helping, and I've been on 50mg sertraline for 5 years, but just had a relapse over the past 3 weeks. Depression has developed too alongside these thoughts. My GP has asked me to take my propranolol 3 x a day, and then come back next week.

Yes, Mindfulness is a great helper for OCD. It got rid of my intrusive thoughts and calmed my GAD down a lot. Have a look at the link in my signature as I compiled a load of free resources that might be useful to you.

Learning to still your mind can take some time. I would also say it is a good idea to reduce overall anxiety levels as these can spike OCD from my own experience and talking to others on here with it.

LadyVee
05-11-15, 20:54
That link is brilliant Terry, thanks!:yesyes:

MyNameIsTerry
06-11-15, 04:43
That link is brilliant Terry, thanks!:yesyes:

Thanks, I hope it helps you. :hugs: