PDA

View Full Version : Hello, I'm hoping this community can help.

Aber
21-06-15, 22:52
Hello, this is sort of a punt for me to be writing on here, but I feel as though my anxiety has left me no choice but to try. I'm not very good at getting people to like me, so this is a bit of a stretch to sign up to a forum full of them!

I first experienced anxiety when I was four-years-old and have had it intensely for the last seventeen years. While I seem young at twenty-one, I feel as though I really need to get help for this now or I never will. It has totally prevented me from having a 'normal' teenage experience and my university years were stunted at best by my complete inability to talk to strangers and make friends. Even going into shops make me nervous if I can see the cashier. It's not even all social anxiety though. I have a very deep fear of failure and I really need to address it before it really prevents me from getting a job in the future. (I loath the mere concept of interviews! I could write them a lovely letter any day).

Anyway, I would just like to say hello and I am hoping there are some people out there I can connect with about this! The friends I do have tend to be the oblivious type and the one who understands is a bit of a black hole - he likes to use people's sadness to validate himself, so he makes me feel worse. I'm feeling a bit alone here. :(

venusbluejeans
21-06-15, 23:00
Hiya Aber and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

23tana
22-06-15, 01:16
Hello Aber. Have you asked your GP for any help? That's really the first step in UK. Mine referred me to a psychologist for therapy.

hudnallks
22-06-15, 06:35
Hey Aber. Welcome!

I think finding a good therapist might be your best bet for working through your fear of failure and social anxiety. I remember how terrified I was (and still am!) of interviews and of social interactions in general.

I know it's hard, but with the right support and time I'm confident you can find ways to connect with people and to cope with your anxiety. :)