PDA

View Full Version : Tension in neck & dizziness.

Cheekychap
21-06-15, 23:39
Good Evening,

I hope all are well.

I've had anxiety for a number of years, and having had thorough medical testing can pinpoint my symptoms down to anxiety. With this in mind, I'm looking to make a full recovery. :D

I work in an office all day, in sometimes stressful situations and I have tension in the back of my head/dizziness with fatigue & disorientation. Any tips for combating this?

Also a more general question, any tips for the fatigue related to our anxiety?

I try and eat healthy/exercise whilst keeping alcohol to a minimum.

I look forward to hearing your suggestions!

Sam123
23-06-15, 23:18
Hi,

I also work in an office and suffer from neck tension. I'd say the first thing you should do is ensure that your seat is correct and you are using this properly i.e good back support and arm rests, that your chair and screen are at the correct height too.
Check that your elbows are not floating when trying or using a mouse and that you have support under your arm to rest on, as this can cause stress on the trapezius muscle and create neck tension or trapped nerves.

I regularly find myself slouching forward throughout the day. Posture is important as well as ensuring that you are not sat idle for too long, moving around and doing little stretches at the desk, shoulder shrugs and rotations, and neck stretches.

I have recently started having vertigo, can you explain your dizziness as mine is best described as a swaying feeling(on a boat).
I also have a lot of fatigue. Diet is very important as you say making sure you're eating the right foods for energy and a mixed diet. Water is extremely important so if you don't already try making a conscious effort to drink more water through the day.

Sorry for rambling, there's quite a lot you can do to help eliminate much of the problems you have mentioned but they all require consistency something I've never kept up when it comes to posture.

Carnation
24-06-15, 00:29
You may be breathing shallow and not realize it.

My Therapist noticed I was on our first meeting and I had now idea I was doing this.
So, you can correct this by doing gentle breathing exercises counting 4 as you breathe in through the nose and counting 6 out of the mouth.
Do this regularly everyday and your breathing will improve of it's own accord.

You may also be hunching your shoulders which will cause pain to the neck, head as well as your shoulder blades.
Try to be conscious of them and let them drop from time to time.
If you are on a computer, try to have eye rest periods and try putting your hands over your face and using your fingertips start at the centre of your eyebrows and gently drag them outwards. This is good for tension and it may even make you yawn.

Try giving the tops of your shoulders a gentle massage in circular movements and scrunching the tops of your shoulders.

When sitting for long periods. Do circles with you feet and stretch out your legs and raise your arms above your head. This will help circulation.

For tiredness. Bananas are excellent for energy and as you might already know; Anxiety has a habit of dehydrating you, so make sure you have plenty of fluids. Water is the best. It may also sound strange, but walking and gentle exercise can give you more energy in the long run.

Hope some of this helps. :)

Libra
24-06-15, 10:33
This is very common with anxiety. I have had physio twice for the tension and accompanying dizziness. The breathing technique Carnation described does help a bit. I also repeat over and over in my head... its just a blip, it will go and invariably it does..Problem is getting anxious about it just prolongs it.. Not easy but I know with correcting posture, breathing properly and trying to stay calm all help towards fixing it.

poshpants
24-06-15, 11:15
I have a lot of tension in my shoulders and neck as well and find it gives me headaches that radiate from the base of my skull all the way up and over my forehead. I try to soak in the bath and put a hot cloth from my neck and also do some neck exercises which I do in my pilates class to try and release the muscle tension. I also find the pillows I sleep on cause my a lot of problems nowadays and am forever buying different ones to try. I have given up now and just make do with what I have x

Cheekychap
25-06-15, 01:13
Hi all,

Thank-you for your replies :)

I'll definitely have a look at the ergonomics of my desk setup! Could make a big difference. Alongside the typical dizziness it is disorientation, and the feeling of being unsteady on my feet and like I need something to lean on.

It may well be to do with my breathing! I often feel short of breath and like I can't get a deep breath. Not sure if anyone else is affected by this?

Can feel a lot of stress and tension in my neck though, which results in the disorientation etc.

Thanks for all your replies & I wish you all well.

knowledge
20-12-15, 19:52
I'm a French Canadian now to be soon great grandfather, that doesn't take medications.... without sounding like I'm trying to sell something, every good (proven) advice is regrettably missed .. but to go on we've all known and read at some times in our life about Meditation, I do help seniors with it in my region.. I been also advising that 89% of all health problems from headache's to cancer is related to emotional problems, I've been doing graphology for the last 50 years & color analysis, (not as a business) - once the problem by various methods is removed health is restored .. and people don't ever relay on Psychiatrist I know it's going to sound ridiculous, but their responsible for millions of deaths (yes deaths) it's an industry (that sells DRUGS worth 44Billion for the pharmaceutical industry legally ) that don't have proof of their made up mental health conditions - Bipolar etc. not like a regular doctor with x-rays, etc .. a good graphologist can find your problem without drugs within a week or so not years - I also treat seniors with acupuncture without needles, + quantum touch .. good luck everybody.. happy new year .. :)

Thoughts
21-12-15, 03:25
Google the internet for tight trapezius stretch and do some at work.

Movielife
21-12-15, 09:28
Hi all,

Thank-you for your replies :)

I'll definitely have a look at the ergonomics of my desk setup! Could make a big difference. Alongside the typical dizziness it is disorientation, and the feeling of being unsteady on my feet and like I need something to lean on.

It may well be to do with my breathing! I often feel short of breath and like I can't get a deep breath. Not sure if anyone else is affected by this?

Can feel a lot of stress and tension in my neck though, which results in the disorientation etc.

Thanks for all your replies & I wish you all well.

Absolutely felt the swaying and the feeling about deep breaths.

My dizziness is now so minor (thankfully) I'm feeling lucky. It was never absolutely terrible, but in the job I quit it did get to the worse point it has ever been. I've never felt I was going to fall, just a little sway.

It's telling that every time I'm really stressed or incredibly tired, it is there (although not so much recently).

I tend to tense the muscles in my jaw a lot. Not teeth grinding but just tense. I find if I do it a lot, like in my sleep, I'll get some dizziness or even a pressure feeling above my ears which generally fades as I calm down.