PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from the Currently Panicked

hudnallks
22-06-15, 06:26
Hello there!

I have to say, first and foremost, that it is quite a relief to find such an active forum full of people so ready to support one another through a variety of mental struggles. Props to you all and thank you for being here.

My name is Kate. I am currently 25 and have struggled with anxiety and depression for around 15 years now. I've had ups and downs and have seen a few therapists and tried a few medications along the way.

I've recently overcome an eating disorder that I have been struggling with for a very long time. I weigh more than I ever thought I could possibly be comfortable with and still have some bad days, but I'm actually starting to feel okay in my own skin. I have a very loving and supportive girlfriend who has helped me through this process and I cannot thank her enough for being there.

Here is my current predicament:

When I began eating normally again (approximately 18 months ago) I began experiencing something like a panic attack. I felt as though my heart was skipping a beat, like I couldn't breathe, and would feel very overwhelmed by my surroundings. I would then start fearing for my own life and feed into the panic. I went to a doctor and all of my blood work and vitals appeared normal, so I thought that perhaps it would get better.

Flash forward to now: I have been diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder and experience the physical and mental ramifications of it every day. It's like the second I started truly addressing my eating disorder, an anxiety disorder took its place. I still fear that my physical symptoms that include vision problems, feeling overwhelmed and panicked in large public spaces, chest pain, clammy hands, headaches, mental fog, and lack of focus and energy might be due to some secret underlying medical problem. (Long story short, I'm constantly afraid that I am dying.):wacko:

I'm about to begin seeing a therapist and psychiatrist in the new town that I have moved to and sincerely hope I can get this worked out. In the mean time though, I have to keep living with all of these symptoms and hoping for the best of each day. :)

venusbluejeans
22-06-15, 06:32
Hiya hudnallks and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes: