PDA

View Full Version : Swollen cheek after dental problems (long post, sorry)

Cygfa
22-06-15, 14:34
I've had a lot of restorative work done on my teeth lately and after one session developed the most horrendous toothache, it was so bad that the whole side of my face was in pain and I thought I was going to pass out. My face was quite swollen too. I went to A&E at the dental hospital, they said that it wasn't dental and that it was most likely a sinus infection causing the pain. So I went to my GP, and she said if I hadn't been to the dentist already, she'd send me there as it was unlikely to be a sinus infection but she prescribed antibiotics and said it would sort things out, whatever the problem.

Anyway, the antibiotics didn't help, but I eventually got an appointment with the dental consultant and he said it was reversible pulpitis, caused by the restoration and remaining cement between the teeth. Cleaned out the area around the tooth, and right enough I was pain free shortly after. This was nearly 2 weeks ago.

BUT my face is still swollen. It's just a slight swelling around the eye/cheek bone and it's definitely better than it was, but I'm obsessing over it so much that I ended up going to A&E last week because I was convinced the swelling was huge and my eye was looking bigger too. I was thinking aneurysm, tumour, etc. and consulting with Dr Google only made things worse. The Dr in A&E didn't think the swelling was anything to worry about but also didn't think it was related to my dental problems. She checked me over and was positive that it's nothing sinister like an aneurysm, and just said it should go away on its own. I'm asking my co-worker to check my face twice daily and she says it's looking better than last week.

I'm still freaking out though, and I'm too scared to exercise in case it unsettles whatever is going on in my cheek. I know exercise would help my anxiety levels, but I don't dare go running or to the gym, just in case.

Sorry this is so long winded, but if anyone has any advice or experienced something similar, I'd be really grateful to hear back. Thanks!