PDA

View Full Version : Could I contract anything from this occasion?

Konstant
22-06-15, 19:52
Hello.

A friend of mine had a cigarette in their pocket. They were wearing shorts.

If the cigarette happened to touch their private part (male) through the clothing, and then I proceeded in smoking the cigarette- could I contract something?

Is it possible to get anything through this situation?

Fishmanpa
22-06-15, 20:05
With all due respect, your scenarios are getting more and more irrational with each post. It truly would be in your best interest to seek professional help in learning to manage your fears.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
23-06-15, 06:15
I really think you need to understand about OCD. Pure O forms can be seen to be about worries of contracting HIV but there is also Contamination OCD which could be the issue and then there is even Mental Contamination.

So, its worth seeing a doctor and being referred to a therapist as you don't have to live like this.

ricardo
23-06-15, 07:11
With all due respect, your scenarios are getting more and more irrational with each post. It truly would be in your best interest to seek professional help in learning to manage your fears.

Positive thoughts

I agree yet again with Fishmanpa.

I don't wish to be rude but God knows how your mind works.You really need professional help .

MyNameIsTerry
23-06-15, 07:18
Its all part of the norm for us with OCD. I used to have many compulsions that involved checking, touching, imagery or even all three together at times.

An example of one of mine was having a intrusive image of my parents when touching a window frame and I had to touch it repeatidly until it felt "just right" with their faces in my mind or something bad could happen to them even though I wouldn't know what. It would combine with the need to use specific numbers for the compulsion, multiples of numbers, sometimes odd or sometimes even, etc.

Thats all totally irrational, but then so is anxiety and everything on this forum is irrational or at least irrational in terms of how the person is seeing it.

ricardo
23-06-15, 07:30
Maybe you should delete my comment but looking at previous posts I honestly think that this person needs help and won't get it on here.

I repeat that it wasn't my intention to be so blunt.

MyNameIsTerry
23-06-15, 07:37
Yes, they do need therapy to help them. I see it as a pattern of reassurance and thats a known compulsion in OCD, especially the Pure O forms. A forum can help, and there are others on the OCD board with issues that could be seen as the same level or more extreme, but not used for a compulsion. The OCD charities may even be useful as they have their own forums with stronger guidance from the admins.

I don't think your comment is an issue, I didn't take offence to it and I doubt the OP will. I just wanted to give an example of how irrational OCD can be, there are far more extreme examples out there though.

Fishmanpa
23-06-15, 13:00
Understanding the reasons behind the behavior doesn't change the fact that it's irrational and it almost gives an excuse to continue it... "I can't help it, it's my OCD". Ok, so extreme OCD causes these thought patterns and behaviors. Understanding what it is is great but the point is to treat and change the behaviors and thought patterns when it becomes disruptive to living your life.

Worrying about getting HIV from smoking a cigarette that was in a package in a pocket and up to two layers of fabric away from someones private parts, not to mention documented science that HIV is transmitted by bodily fluids goes well beyond irrationality and into the depths of the absurd.

Professional intervention is in order IMO.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
23-06-15, 22:29
I would suggest reading about OCD then because this is part of the norm and there are many examples of this.

I guess it's the difference between the OCD & HA boards because that wouldn't be seen as "severe" or "beyond OCD".

Understanding doesn't give an excuse at all, education of OCD can actually help you to make sense of it and know you are not losing your mind. Education of how anxiety works is the early stage of therapy and important in addressing how your thoughts can be the problem. You learn about how the cycle works, without this you are flying blind and decreasing your chances greatly of recovery and certainly leaving the door open for later relapse. There is a reason why CBT therapists start by explaining how these cycles work because they are important to finding your triggers.

Saying "I can't help it, it's my OCD" isn't going to help at all and no one is even saying that, we are merely explaining that OCD includes things like the OP's issue which some people are struggling to understand and seeing as some form of severe problem. They are not. Severity is not judged by that for a very good reason. Using the same sentence as a way to end an obsessive cycle is also a negative in OCD since it will be a compulsion at that point. However, you can use it in a positive way when you fill in a Thought Record because it can form your counter evidence and will be part of your outcome since you have to realise it is your anxiety BUT without the 'I can't help it' part.

As someone who has been suffering with OCD for years and stopped many of my rituals and intrusive thoughts, I'm not going to do that anyway as its worthless in helping someone. If describing examples of OCD is "almost giving an excuse" then therapists, charities, doctors, etc are all guilty of it too.

Everything on NMP is for a professional, isn't it?

Sunflower2
23-06-15, 22:36
Someone with OCD can't determine the difference between rational and irrational thoughts. Some months ago I was scared of being sick because my glasses had brushed my lip. In my mind it made perfect sense but to anyone else it seems utterly crazy. It's only when I compare it to other people with OCD worrying about similar things I realise I might possibly be over reacting. Even then it still won't go away completely.

My point is, it's pretty much impossible to convince someone their worry is unfounded until they believe it themselves.

MyNameIsTerry
24-06-15, 04:13
Someone with OCD can't determine the difference between rational and irrational thoughts. Some months ago I was scared of being sick because my glasses had brushed my lip. In my mind it made perfect sense but to anyone else it seems utterly crazy. It's only when I compare it to other people with OCD worrying about similar things I realise I might possibly be over reacting. Even then it still won't go away completely.

My point is, it's pretty much impossible to convince someone their worry is unfounded until they believe it themselves.

I think people with HA will understand that too. There comes a point when you learn to understand these NAT's to the point where you are able to challenge them but until you've had that help, you can be so convinced to the contrary that you miss all the evidence against it. Classic Cognitive Distortions (always important to learn these) and a good case for techniques like Thought Records.