PDA

View Full Version : I have a cold... again.

KayeS
22-06-15, 23:00
2 colds ago, I posted on here worried about the fact that THIS YEAR, I've had 5 colds. Now I'm on my 7th... OF THE YEAR. Granted, it's a relatively mild one, as in I'm not bed bound, I can pretty much get on with everything (except going to the gym)... but seriously... This is abnormal right?! I've had 3 blood tests this year alone and they are all normal, I don't understand what's wrong. The feeling of being ill is becoming way too familiar. I feel like I go to the doctor and they dismiss it, but something is clearly wrong with my immune system surely?!

I can fight OFF the colds once I have them, as in I don't have them for any longer than a normal person does, but my body can't seem to stop me from getting them in the first place. I'm actually getting a bit worried now.

Of the 7 I've had, 3 of them were what I'd call bad ones, in the sense that I felt awful. The others were ones that lasted 2-4 days and weren't that bad.

venusbluejeans
23-06-15, 02:22
stress and anxiety will cause you to be run down and the more run down you are the more susceptible you are to colds and viruses

MyNameIsTerry
23-06-15, 04:58
Many people struggle with the same issue, even without an anxiety disorder. These disorders burn through nutrients far quicker so can weaken our immune system.

I would suggest you look at your diet to see whether you are getting enough of the vitamins & minerals that are essential for a healthy immune system.

Also consider the fact that if you eat a lot of pre-processed foods, your healthy gut bacteria could have been weakened. This causes us to digest less of our food and this will cause a loss in nutrients (we don't get what a supplement actualy states because our bodies just aren't that efficient in terms of digestion).

KayeS
23-06-15, 10:42
Nutrients could be an issue... I've been on antibiotics for acne for about 15 years non stop so my gut bacteria is pretty much zero lol. I'm pretty sure that's the cause of my gluten intolerance also...

Will look into modifying my diet. I'm just absolutely sick and tired of feeling ill!

MyNameIsTerry
23-06-15, 10:50
Its possible I guess. I know I've read how some people are using ingestion of kefir prior to a lactose meal when they are lactose intolerant and its showing good signs that the bacteria (in its large levels as found in kefir) and eating the lactose sugar so its not being ingested.

Antibiotics over that period could be a real problem with gut bacteria. It will also create an environment for bad bacteria to flourish and you get situations like candida overgrowth.

Antibiotic overuse or strong use appear in some peoples history before their anxiety started.

So, looking at probiotics would be a good idea. Lack of good gut bacteria is a factor in good digestion as is proper levels of digestive enzymes (foods often contain such enzymes to help you digest them e.g. fruit).

It could benefit your lifting too if you are knocking back supplements as you could be wasting more than average due to the antibiotics issue. I'm surprised they still work after a period of time like that, Steve, I thought they keep telling the world that over prescribing is making us all more tolerant to them so they don't work? Or is that only certain strains of infection?

KayeS
23-06-15, 11:56
Well you're right that long term antibiotic use is bad... 100%. The problem is, unfortunately I have adult acne (I'm 30) which is, for the most part, under control with antibiotics, but if I come off them, it just comes right back again. I've cycled on and off of about 10 different antibiotics over the last 15 years or so. I hate it to be honest. I'm sure it's screwed my gut bacteria up totally.

MyNameIsTerry
23-06-15, 12:47
I've seen NICE state that probiotic supplementation whilst taking antibiotics is acceptable if under a doctor's supervision despite the need for more studies. So, they have seen some relevance to their use.

People see it as healthy gut bacteria but that's only part of it since these bacteria start in your mouth and end at the anus. So, you can get oral thrush if your healthy oral bacteria aren't keeping the bad bacteria in check.

KayeS
23-06-15, 13:20
I think I'm ok taking a probiotic as I haven't been prescribed antibiotics for an illness so the worst that can happen if I do anything that might interfere with them is I'll get some spots lol.