PDA

View Full Version : Teeth

meowoof
24-06-15, 20:46
I'm sure this is highly unoriginal subject matter, but I really need to get this off my chest...

Over the past year or so, I have developed an obsession with my dental aesthetics. This fluctuates, so that at times I will feel happy with my teeth, and then in the space of a few days I will notice some detail which will flare up in my mind and result in me fighting not to stare in the mirror every five minutes.

The paranoia mainly pertains to the colour of my teeth. Sometimes I will see nothing, other times I will notice something that I don't like, which will set me off for another few weeks. I observe the recommended oral hygiene routines, visit the dentist for cleaning and checkups twice a year and have never had acid erosion or decay flagged as an issue, but am nonetheless constantly searching for it.

It feels like my mind is restless until it has found something to worry about. As someone purportedly intelligent, who highly values rationality, I find it immensely frustrating that I cannot seem to kerb this, please help.

Old 68
28-06-15, 11:52
I am also obsessed with my Teeth.
But mine is oldage concerns.They aren't decayed,but are slowly breaking .
2 pieces have broken off the same Tooth in 5 months.
It is causing me so much anxiety,I wake up with a Panic attack most days.
2nd appointment for a repair due next week.
Worried that eventually there will be no Tooth to repair.?

Rennie1989
28-06-15, 11:58
Sounds like something you could discuss over with a counsellor. I can say that 'You'll be fine' until I'm blue in the face but I assume it won't change how you feel about your teeth. Have a think about it.

Old 68
28-06-15, 15:07
Last time I did see a Hypnotherapist on 3 occasions.
I don't feel that he helped me at all.Sadly.
Just earned £65.00 each time.
The cost of my Dental treatment came to over £300.00 for 2 fillings plus Sedation.
I am a Pensioner and haven't a bottomless pit of Money.
Will pay again for Sedation,but afraid in my opinion the Therapist didn't help me at all.Just cost me Money.
Thanks anyway.

Rennie1989
28-06-15, 16:09
I was asking meowoof but in reply to what you said I'm sure you can get free dental treatment under the NHS if you're on a pension.

ricardo
28-06-15, 16:51
Yes you can get free dental treatment on the NHS but mainly reconstruction work, regardless of age.

As you know there are three price plan scales on the NHS for various procedures but many of the options like crowns are pretty basic, some dentists won't do root treatment and of course implants are out of the question as they can only be obtained privately at a huge cost and some people as they age do not have sufficent bone for implants, so dentures or part dentures are the answer. Little choice of denture on he NHS but again cheaper.

A warning that gum disease is directly linked to heart disease .Unfortunately i had to take my last dentist to court (and won) after gross neglect but unfortunately had a heart attack in the middle of having intricate dental work redone, and being on blood thinners everything is on hold.