PDA

View Full Version : Possible Relapse

EMMA
09-09-04, 14:58
Hi,

I posted recently on the success stories to say how well I felt. I have been taking paroxetine since the middle of June and a few stressful events have gone. Life seemed 100% back to normal. So how come I feel edgy and a bit low again this week? I had a great weekend then from Monday onwards I have felt twinges again. My mind has started to race again slightly and stupid thoughts keep entering my head. Is it possible to have a relapse whilst still on the meds? I was hoping to go to the doctors within the next week to talk about reducing the dose but if I'm not really 100% maybe I should stay on them for longer or up the dose.

It's not for the whole day that I feel funny, it's just in the morning up until lunchtime. I have been having to use my recue remedy again this week.

I felt funny again this morning and didn't want to face work so I rang and asked if I could take the day as lastminute holiday rather than say I was sick. I love my job and don't want to ruin my sickness record. I don't know why I couldn't face work because there is no stress there at all.

The only thing I can think of is that I start college again next week for my final year. It's hard going as it is 2 evenings a week after work and I have 4 exams this time round. Maybe that is preying on my mind.

Another thing, does anyone find that when they are on meds it stops there emotions all together. I find that at times when I perhaps should feel upset I don't. I feel like the meds are suppressing everything.

Sorry for going on but I don't want to go back to square one.

Thanks
Emma xx

seh1980
09-09-04, 15:10
hello there Emma,

I have been on meds since last November and they have done wonders for me. However, I do still have relapses where I feel really down and panicky for a few days. I do notice that these relapses occur less and less as I gradually gain my confidence back but I do think that they are something that we all experience no matter how long we have been suffering and what meds we are on.Don't worry too much and no, of course you're not going back to square one!! As you say, it's probably just caused by the stress of college. Take care.

Sarah :D

EMMA
09-09-04, 15:18
Hi Sarah,

Thank you for putting my mind at rest. I think I am just over analysing my mood because I don't feel the same as last week. I think I am making myself feel worse. I think I will have a word with the doctor to see if I should carry on with the meds until college has finished next June. I would sooner stay on them than make myself ill again.

Last time I took meds I was on them for 6 months and I was fine after.

Take care

Emma xx

EMMA
09-09-04, 15:19

Meg
09-09-04, 17:12
Hi Emma,

This is not a relapse its a minor blip.

My mind has started to race again slightly and stupid thoughts keep entering my head and you're letting them stay there and dwelling on them which is not helping.

I would agree with you that college will be on your mind and worrying about fitting everything in etc .

This is not a good time to start coming off anything as stress is building up . Stay with what you're on until Christmas and reassess then depending on how you are then.

Its quite usual for people to describe being on SSRI's as emotionless - not being able to cry or show extreme emotions at all .

Are you exercising well and on your Vib B still ?

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch

twister
09-09-04, 21:54
Hi Emma

Even 'normal' people get anxious sometimes so try not to focus on it too much - everyone has blips!

Emily

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
Understanding is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad

EMMA
10-09-04, 13:40
I haven't tried vitamin B. What does it do for you? I'm willing to give anything a try. As for the exercise I have been a little lapse of late. I took the dog for a long walk yesterday and felt a lot better. I've just got to keep it up now.

I'm at work today. Felt tired, spaced out and a little edgy this morning but feel better this afternoon. I keep feeling light headed but think that may be the meds.

Have a good weekend everyone x

Meg
10-09-04, 13:45
Its not a cure as such, but is a vital vitamin that supports your nervous system, so facilitiating its recovery.

Everyone on here should consider being on it whilst they are acutely anxious.

Hears The Water
10-09-04, 15:31
Emma, this may sound like a silly question, but are you eating breakfast? And if so, what? I have found that if I skip breakfast or do not have enough protein to balance the carbs out that my blood sugar will drop and I will feel so odd. Sometimes it will drop drastically and that is very scary. What made me think of this is you saying that you are having problems in the morning until lunch. Even when you eat lunch after having low blood sugar, if you do not eat enough protein then, you can still have mild blood sugar problems. Also, are you drinking enough water? That effecte me too. Just some "food" for thought..... ok, that was a realy bad pun. :D
God bless you and yours
Debbie

sal
12-09-04, 02:04
Hi Emma

We all have blips which can knock it out of us and make us feel like we are back to square one but we have got over it once and beat it so we cant let it beat us again.

Its only temporary whether we believe it or not.

Love Sal xxxxx

lainey
12-09-04, 12:12
Hi Emma

I hope you are feeling better, I have to agree with Debbie about the low blood sugar, for example, yesterday I had two episodes in Sainsburys and then realised I had not eaten enough. Everytime I have one of these episodes its when I havent eaten. I'm sure its a blip you are experiencing and I like you are more anxious in the morning and then it gradually gets better.

I think you are right and that college is preying on your mind, it might help if you just go back to the GP for a chat about it, sometimes it helps to allay your fears.

Take care

Elaine xxx

Meg
12-09-04, 12:47
When you're acutely anxious do try to eat something every 3 hours - banana, nuts, wholemeal bread, egg etc

It can make a huge difference

Meg

Robert Albert Bloch

EMMA
12-09-04, 17:29
Hi everyone,

I can't understand it because I eat really healthily. I have 2 slices of wholemeal toast, a small bowl of shredded wheat biteseize, half a grapefruit and a probiotic yoghurt drink for breaksfeast. I drink water all day at work. I have a banana mid morning, a mixed salad from the supermarket for lunch and a yoghurt and a packet of rice snacks in the afternoon. And we always have a healthy dinner cooked from scratch everynight so no processed food. We also make sure we have oily fish once a week. I can't think why I feel like this.

We have just come back from my husband's parents. We've had such a good time and now I feel really low again. I have no reason to feel like it because there is nothing bad in my life. It's weird because I feel alright for about 15 mins then all of a sudden my mind alerts me to the fact I feel ok then I feel down again. How can I stop my mind from analysing my mood.

Is it possible that I have become used to this dose of paroxetine and now it's losing it's effect. Should I visit my doctor to see if the dose needs increasing?

I can't believe it because this time last week I felt great and was going to ask the doctor if I could reduce the dose.

I know it's probably just a blip and I will recover but it's difficult when you are in the midst of it.

I think I will go to my doctors this week and have a chat to see what they say. I'm also going to buy some vitamin B complex. Which leads me to another question, my mum suffers from B12 deficiency, can this be hereditary? If so could this be a cause for my anxiety etc?

Thanks everyone

Emma xx

sal
12-09-04, 23:20
Hi Em

Good idea to go and see your doctor and i do hope he can give you some good advice.

Easier said than done when we say it is anothe blip but you will get through it you have before so draw on that strength you had then.

Time is the essence here and you will get through it even if you need support.

~You know i am having a hard time at moment but i wont stop believing i can do it so dont you hon.

Love Sal xxxxx

EMMA
13-09-04, 19:45
Hi Everyone,

Feeling more positive this evening. I've been and bought some vitamin B complex and Omega oil pills. Also made appointment to go to docs tomorrow. Had a nice healthy tea with salmon and lots of veg. Drank plenty of water too. Going to take the dog a walk now and then chill with some aromatherapy oils burning. I'm determined not to go back to square one. It's hard but I'll carry on trying to do the right things. I've come through this before a few years ago so I know I can do it again. I have no reason now to feel this way.

Take care everyone

Em xx

Meg
13-09-04, 22:02
Hi Emma,

Well done for taking care of yourself and knowing you can come through this..

Is your Mum on any anti acid tablets like Omeprazole ?

Meg

Robert Albert Bloch

lainey
14-09-04, 19:48
Glad to hear you are feeling more positive, I take vit b complex and they really help. Hope you got on ok at the gp's

Take care

elaine x

EMMA
14-09-04, 20:05
Hi,

As far as I'm aware my mum doesn't take anything. She has been advised to eat liver, fortified cereals etc. She has high blood pressure so is on tablets for that. It was a routine blood test which discovered the B12 deficiency. Just wondered if it could be anything to do with my symptoms too.

I've been to GP's today. I told her I had felt low last week but was feeling a bit better today. She said to keep on the meds for at least 6 months even if I feel well and to increase the dose if need be. I feel a lot better today. Feel more postive now that I am taking more steps to improve my well being.

I'm going to join the gym tomorrow. We get it discounted through work and it is only across the road from where I work. It also has beauty salon, steam room etc. so will be able to have a pamper too. I know how important exercise is to help the mind aswell as the body. I need to get into shape too which will make me feel better.

Thankyou all for your positive advice. Don't know what I would do without you.

Take care

Em xx

marian
06-03-06, 20:17
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi Emma

I hope you are feeling better, I have to agree with Debbie about the low blood sugar, for example, yesterday I had two episodes in Sainsburys and then realised I had not eaten enough. Everytime I have one of these episodes its when I havent eaten. I'm sure its a blip you are experiencing and I like you are more anxious in the morning and then it gradually gets better.

I think you are right and that college is preying on your mind, it might help if you just go back to the GP for a chat about it, sometimes it helps to allay your fears.

Take care

Elaine xxx

<div align="right">Originally posted by lainey - 12 September 2004 : 12:12:28</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Marian

marian
06-03-06, 20:20
Hi Im new and Im suffering the same as everyone on this site. I panic every morning and its making my life a misery. I cry non stop. Help please!
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi Emma

Take care

Elaine xxx

<div align="right">Originally posted by lainey - 12 September 2004 : 12:12:28</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Marian