PDA

View Full Version : If I go to A&E with violent retching dating back 4 years what will they be able to do

cjemc
27-06-15, 11:04
Because I cannot take it any longer.

Elen
27-06-15, 12:33
Sorry Calum the simple answer is nothing, A&E is simply for accidents and emergencies.

Why not give the meds your GP a go.

I know that you have read the data sheet and scared yourself with the list of POSSIBLE side effects but surely it has to be worth a try.

Good luck

cjemc
27-06-15, 12:36
Sorry Calum the simple answer is nothing, A&E is simply for accidents and emergencies.

Why not give the meds your GP a go.

I know that you have read the data sheet and scared yourself with the list of POSSIBLE side effects but surely it has to be worth a try.

Good luck

Would I not qualify as an emergency if I presented myself at the department retching violently with puffy and red watery eyes?

My Mum had to go to A&E in 1985 with anxiety and they didn't have a clue what was wrong with her.

I am scared of meds though, I don't/cant become a zombie unable to work or function normally and I have heard blood curdling accounts of people ending up like this after starting a course of SSRI medication. In fact some said it made their anxiety and depression bloody worse!!!

Elen
27-06-15, 12:39
Not when the retching has been going on for 4 years, A&E is there for things that cannot wait.

What would you do if they suggested meds to you? Refuse to take them?

What about all the people that meds have no side effects on and they improve their quality of life?

You cannot say you cannot go on feeling like this but refuse to try and stop it.

.Poppy.
27-06-15, 13:30
If they truly believe you're sick, they may give you anti-nausea medication which may or may not work.

In all honesty, all meds have possible side effects. Even OTC painkillers!

I think your best bet would be to commit to trying the meds your doctor prescribed for you, and work on getting better. If they make you feel off, you can certainly talk to your doc about it and wean off of them and test out a new prescription if need be.

But think: how awesome would it be if they worked? I know with anxiety we are conditioned to believe the worst, but try to believe the best, or at least give the best a chance.

cjemc
27-06-15, 13:48
If they truly believe you're sick, they may give you anti-nausea medication which may or may not work.

In all honesty, all meds have possible side effects. Even OTC painkillers!

I think your best bet would be to commit to trying the meds your doctor prescribed for you, and work on getting better. If they make you feel off, you can certainly talk to your doc about it and wean off of them and test out a new prescription if need be.

But think: how awesome would it be if they worked? I know with anxiety we are conditioned to believe the worst, but try to believe the best, or at least give the best a chance.

But I don't feel sick ever with this retching. Its just a pure reflex, it feels like my throat muscles are having spasms and contracting. That's what it honestly feels like. Whether or not its anxiety related or if there is a medical condition triggering this retching and in turn making my lifelong anxiety worse is anyone's guess.

Rennie1989
27-06-15, 20:15
I work in a hospital and I see A&E packed every single day. A&E is ONLY for emergency treatment that cannot wait to be seen by a doctor. I defend A&E a lot because I have known people with serious illnesses to wait for treatment because of staff treating minor injuries/illness.

If you are struggling then call the NHS (111 I think) and they can direct to where you should go. But you're best going to your GP when next available.

---------- Post added at 20:15 ---------- Previous post was at 20:12 ----------

Would I not qualify as an emergency if I presented myself at the department retching violently with puffy and red watery eyes?

My Mum had to go to A&E in 1985 with anxiety and they didn't have a clue what was wrong with her.

I am scared of meds though, I don't/cant become a zombie unable to work or function normally and I have heard blood curdling accounts of people ending up like this after starting a course of SSRI medication. In fact some said it made their anxiety and depression bloody worse!!!

1) Anxiety and depressive symptoms are worsened 2-4 weeks of taking SSRI's before improving. Some have this, some don't. With the right medication the wait is worth it.
2) SSRI's do not cause zombie-like symptoms. Some anti-psychotics do, but not SSRI's.
3) Once the initial side effects wear off you can function like normal, or better.

I'm not selling SSRI's, I'm simply dispelling your myths.

MyNameIsTerry
28-06-15, 05:26
You need to see your GP, Calum.

A&E will do what they have to do in terms of tests but if you issue turns out to be mental you are going to just be sent home and told to see your GP anyway unless your condition is serious enough e.g. self harm potential.

You can call 111 but you are not going to access anyone with enough knowledge to help you with this and they will likely end up referring you off to your GP anyway.

You've had a load of tests to rule out various possibilities and your GP suspects OCD. Your GP could take appropriate action in referring you for a mental health assessment as your issues are not only OCD based so there is more in there that your GP is not seeing. Whether your issue is a Somatoform Disorder or a Sensorimotor OCD Disorder requires someone able to make such a diagnosis which is unlikely to be a GP in my opinion.

Yes, meds like SSRI's can make people worse. This can be because the side effect period for the first 4-6 weeks heightens anxiety or because you are not suited to that particualr med and need to switch to find one that helps. This is the reality we are faced with but many people don't have many side effects so its too hard to say and you just have to go into with your eyes open.

You have to ask yourself whether you are willing to take a risk or stay like this? You can always try, stop and see your GP again if you can't handle any side effects you feel. Your GP can also taper you on slowly if you are sensitive to them.

Your GP needs to have made you aware of the later withdrawal issue with Paroxetine though but some people say they have come off it easily so again, it can be very individual.