PDA

View Full Version : Messed up everything due to my binge drinking

Hereford Al
28-06-15, 21:06
Hi all, first post on here for a very long time. I hope everyone is OK and stuff.

I basically messed things up this week just gone, with a lady from college who I became very close friends with during our year long course together. After a few beers on the night out at the end of the course, I went home. Then I ended up being a massive idiot towards her during a chat on Facebook (wrongly thinking she was questioning the help I had given her recently at college, especially since her Dad died) and wrote some hostile things in an extremely paranoid way.

This, inevitably caused a great deal of hurt. She wrote back angrily, then blocked me from contacting her on there. This was on Wednesday night. Since when, I have been violently sick, a complete bag of nerves and in floods of tears because of my actions. I would never have behaved that way if I had been sober.

This is not the first time I have got into trouble for my binge drinking, especially where social media is concerned. Earlier this year, for example, I upset another classmate when I felt the help I gave them was being mocked by a third party (her ex-partner) over facebook messages.

So I have decided that I want to try and cut down or even give up completely, as this binge drinking (I can go ages without beer) has gotten beyond sensible levels - I can't have just one or two beers, it has to be several.

What sort of options are there for help in terms of alcohol problems? I am hoping to see my GP at some stage this week, but will they be able to help me in any way or will it just be a referral of some kind to Counselling/Therapy/AA?

I'm at that stage in life now, aged 35, where I need to look after myself a hell of a lot more than I do. Especially if I want to go on to Uni in September. I also desperately want to change this behavioural trait, as the binge drinking has been going on for the past 5 years or so. Pretty much since my Citalopram dose got raised from 20mg to 40mg after a setback when a friend committed suicide in 2010 and I was badly affected. I never used to have the mad urge to binge drink until the dose got increased and I wonder how much of it is down to that. I have been on Citalopram since early 2009 and, on the 20mg dose, it was never an issue and I would stick to my 2 pints of beer on a Friday/Saturday and nothing else.

I am also wondering it it would be a good time to come off the medication all together as I have been fine in terms of coping - My anxiety and low mood (last few days aside) have been negligible at worst.

It is just such a mess. I was really happy on Wednesday after finishing a very stressful last few months of this course, so I got too drunk and lashed out when not thinking straight. This has probably cost me one of the best friendships that I have had in my entire adult life, and I am gutted about it beyond belief.

At the same time, I am now absolutely determined to do something about it.
If there are any other forums, regarding alcohol support, you guys could signpost me to then I would also be very grateful.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Al x

Fishmanpa
28-06-15, 21:25
From the Celexa (Citalopram) website:

What should I avoid while taking Celexa?

Celexa can cause sleepiness or may affect your ability to make decisions, think clearly, or react quickly. You should not drive, operate heavy machinery, or do other dangerous activities until you know how Celexa affects you. Do not drink alcohol while using Celexa.

Best advice I can give you.

Positive thoughts

Davit
28-06-15, 22:05
naltrexone is for those that seriously want to stop.

MyNameIsTerry
29-06-15, 07:29
From the Celexa (Citalopram) website:

What should I avoid while taking Celexa?

Celexa can cause sleepiness or may affect your ability to make decisions, think clearly, or react quickly. You should not drive, operate heavy machinery, or do other dangerous activities until you know how Celexa affects you. Do not drink alcohol while using Celexa.

Best advice I can give you.

Positive thoughts

But we do need to tag on the interaction information which explains a bit more and why sometimes a GP may be ok with it (moderation that is) since its a Moderate interaction:

http://www.drugs.com/food-interactions/citalopram.html

Alcohol (Ethanol) ↔ citalopram
Moderate Drug Interaction
Using citalopram together with ethanol can increase nervous system side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with citalopram. Do not use more than the recommended dose of citalopram, and avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medication affects you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medication without first talking to your doctor.

It would be a good idea to talk this through with your GP. Binge drinking is a rather new & broad term and is very common among the population, especially certain areas. A couple of pints is a very modest amount of alcohol and if you had a couple more, thats hardly getting ratted and regardless of that, thats a normal Friday/Saturday night to many people and has been for many generations so its hard to understand what yours is like from what you say.

The fact it seems to be leading you into behaviours you don't like, could be the alcohol volume, maybe how it affects you, etc. So, its learning how to change that (and recognise it) or cutting back if you aren't that bothered anyway.

I'm not sure about increased alcohol intake with Citalopram, its not a listed side effect but you do mention a very traumatic experience around that time which could be the reason too.

It would be a good idea to talk this through with your GP, who can give you the best advice on the alcohol issue and who you need to speak to about medication withdrawal anyway.

Hereford Al
29-06-15, 15:23
Thank you, Terry, for the response and advice.
It would be between 6 and 8 pints on a Friday and Saturday night, when I do start on my sessions.

I will speak of all of this to my GP when I see her.
Once again, thanks.
Al :-)

Fishmanpa
29-06-15, 16:04
~Sigh~ This is not an occasional drink. This is repeated alcohol abuse and due to it, impaired judgement that resulted in increased anxiety and a broken friendship. To offer that it's Ok with some GPs to drink in moderation is just keeping the door open to a destructive and negative behavior.

Some people can deal with alcohol and anxiety. Some people who are on meds can partake without apparent ill effects. The posts on this site are from those that obviously cannot. Those individuals should not be drinking and especially not if on meds!

Positive thoughts

Hereford Al
29-06-15, 20:56
Thanks Fishmanpa, the words are appreciated.
I am going to try and do the next 2 weeks sober, and replace my weekend alcohol intake with a few bottles of non-alcoholic alternative.

Fishmanpa
29-06-15, 21:11
Thanks Fishmanpa, the words are appreciated.
I am going to try and do the next 2 weeks sober, and replace my weekend alcohol intake with a few bottles of non-alcoholic alternative.

:yesyes:

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
29-06-15, 22:26
~Sigh~ This is not an occasional drink. This is repeated alcohol abuse and due to it, impaired judgement that resulted in increased anxiety and a broken friendship. To offer that it's Ok with some GPs to drink in moderation is just keeping the door open to a destructive and negative behavior.

Some people can deal with alcohol and anxiety. Some people who are on meds can partake without apparent ill effects. The posts on this site are from those that obviously cannot. Those individuals should not be drinking and especially not if on meds!

Positive thoughts

No it's not because that was stated because it is a fact and as we all know each case is individual and a GP will decide what is best for the patient.

But we should post the real facts, not just the ones that fit to our bias. Then people can make an informed decision.

Besides, that's all in the PIL anyway so its only stating what is in the box in the person's hand.

The OP doesn't really talk about how much alcohol and binge drinking is a very broad label that can be applied to a lot of people without negative behaviours so it can be hard to say without making assumptions, which I like to avoid.

Fishmanpa
29-06-15, 23:07
No it's not because that was stated because it is a fact and as we all know each case is individual and a GP will decide what is best for the patient.

But we should post the real facts, not just the ones that fit to our bias. Then people can make an informed decision.

Besides, that's all in the PIL anyway so its only stating what is in the box in the person's hand.

The OP doesn't really talk about how much alcohol and binge drinking is a very broad label that can be applied to a lot of people without negative behaviours so it can be hard to say without making assumptions, which I like to avoid.

http://pi.actavis.com/data_stream.asp?product_group=1906&p=pi&language=E See pg 36. This is from the manufacturer.

Agree to disagree and always will on this point...

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
29-06-15, 23:15
Agree to disagree and always will on this point...

Positive thoughts

I know but I will never understand why doctors should be trusted in you're words except when it comes to this issue.

I will continue to post facts though so others can make their own decisions.

Hereford Al
30-06-15, 13:57
Seeing my Doc on Thursday afternoon.
Hopefully a start.

johnno
30-06-15, 15:00
I know the feeling. It is a bloody nightmare. If you stay away from alcohol or weed and try to stay on straight and narrow, we just end up frustrating ourselves, lose social life and when you skint you can't find much else to do with your time. But when we drink we always go over-board and have to deal with the guilt, paranoia, regret of what we have done when we were drunk.

I've ****ed up so many times due to alcohol.

Bellshill one
30-06-15, 16:12
Hi. I had a problem with drink a few years ago. Quite simply when I started I couldnt stop. I could go months without a drink but as soon as I started again : BOOM. I was on a roll and didnt stop until I was too physically ill to drink or I had no money left. Boy did I get myself into some trouble through drink ! I was lucky to understand that just one drink started up a compulsion . One drink was too much and a hundred wasnt enough. I stopped drinking without outside help. I understand I cant take any alcohol whatever today. Im not saying your in the same boat as me but hope you will think seriously about your drinking. Take care x