PDA

View Full Version : First panic attack in over a year or so

Illuminati
29-06-15, 08:25
Hi everyone

So ive struggled with health anxiety for years. My first panic attack was when i was around 8 or 9. I somehow "forgot" about my anxiety until 2005 when i was 19. Long story short ive come along way and was proscribed Citalopram in Jan 2006 and finally came off it in September 2014 after a great course of CBT.

These past few months ive had a a clouded feeling in my head. I struggle finding words sometimes, my speech feels weird and rushed or slurred on occasion. Im avoiding social interaction like the plague. Ive really bad neck tension and last night it came to a head. I forgot how bad it can be :weep: I think i calmed it mid flow with massaging my neck and breathing. My question is, should i go back on my medication? Ive felt this coming for a while and i really dont want to back to the way i was, im terrified of that life again.

Illuminati
01-07-15, 11:52
:(

Frenchy
01-07-15, 18:35
Hi illuminati

I'm sorry you've had a return of some of these symptoms and another panic attack and it's understandable that you don't want to go backwards. Please make sure that a fear of a backward step doesn't actually causes you to take one! Remember, most people have the occasional wobble or set back - it is important to deal with it, but keep it in perspective. You can get back in control :)

I think the lack of replies is due to the fact that you have asked a very difficult question, and one that noone here can really give you an answer to.

Should you go back on to medication? That decision is going to be very personal to you - and is really something you should discuss with a doctor or therapist. If you have done CBT before, are you putting things you learned in to practice? Skills learned in CBT take work and some mental discipline to implement. Have you spoken to your doctor or therapist since you started feeling this way and explained the foggy feeling and social avoidance? You need professional advice to explore your options, in my view.

Do something positive, and make an appt to talk to someone about that decision. Sending positive vibes and I hope you get over this blip.

sial72
01-07-15, 19:57
Very good advice from Frenchy
Did you come off the meds slowly? Were you afraid of coming off the meds? Maybe you need some time to adjust to being without...

Davit
01-07-15, 20:54
I have to agree with Frenchy but want to add one question. You sound tired, are you overworking body or mind?

Illuminati
03-07-15, 12:03
Hi illuminati

I'm sorry you've had a return of some of these symptoms and another panic attack and it's understandable that you don't want to go backwards. Please make sure that a fear of a backward step doesn't actually causes you to take one! Remember, most people have the occasional wobble or set back - it is important to deal with it, but keep it in perspective. You can get back in control :)

I think the lack of replies is due to the fact that you have asked a very difficult question, and one that noone here can really give you an answer to.

Should you go back on to medication? That decision is going to be very personal to you - and is really something you should discuss with a doctor or therapist. If you have done CBT before, are you putting things you learned in to practice? Skills learned in CBT take work and some mental discipline to implement. Have you spoken to your doctor or therapist since you started feeling this way and explained the foggy feeling and social avoidance? You need professional advice to explore your options, in my view.

Do something positive, and make an appt to talk to someone about that decision. Sending positive vibes and I hope you get over this blip.

Thanks for your reply :)

Im trying to calm myself and remind myself its only a panic attack. I dealt with it differently than previous attacks. Telling myself it was a panic attack and im not dieing etc Now im worried about having panic attacks rather than dieing if that makes sense.

Im now waiting on my CBT course to start to refresh on things i learned previously. I explained the foggy feelings etc and he thought CBT may help again.

---------- Post added at 12:01 ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 ----------

Very good advice from Frenchy
Did you come off the meds slowly? Were you afraid of coming off the meds? Maybe you need some time to adjust to being without...

Yea i came of them slowly. I was on 10mg of Citalopram and as advised by my doctor to drop down,then skip days then nothing. I finally stopped in October.

I was in a really healthy place and wasnt scared at all to come of them.

---------- Post added at 12:03 ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 ----------

I have to agree with Frenchy but want to add one question. You sound tired, are you overworking body or mind?

I do alot physically and im a manager in an office and have been quite stressed.

I recently found a loved on dead at the start of June. Initially i didnt connect the two because of the amount of time that had passed but im starting to think its all been a bit to much for my mind.

MyNameIsTerry
06-07-15, 00:22
I have been dealing with panic attacks since I was in the 8th grade, I have developed anxiety and social anxiety as well within the last 3 years. Some days are worse that others and some days are better. However I have found a way to cope and control my anxiety and panic attacks at least to a certain extent. And although I am not 100 percent cured It has helped me out tremendously and I am starting to get ahold of myself.

I am sorry :( I hope this helps somebody out there out because it is something I have wished I could change for nearly 10 years.

Take a look at <removed>

It is an excellent read and was very helpful to me :)

Hello Snoopy Drew,

Back to sell your products again are you?

How many times have you been banned for it now? 6 times?

No doubt we will see you back again with another username soon given your lack of morals. Trying to take advantage of the vulnerable for the price of $59.99.

:busted::nicked: & :finger: