PDA

View Full Version : Mystified..Muscles ?

Libra
30-06-15, 10:46
I do suffer with muscle tension and Sciatic nerve irritation.

However, ive never had this particular sensation before although ive seen one or two mentions of it on other forums but no real explanation.
If my sciatic nerve is playing up. i.e. the tingling in leg, foot and lower back stiffness it also seems to affect the area around my shoulder blade on same side, and shoulder to neck ( I can understand the shoulder to neck connection, one tenses the other and can feel lightheaded at times with that ) but how does the sciatic affect the shoulder blade area ??..

MyNameIsTerry
30-06-15, 10:51
I can't see how it can, Libra, it runs down the leg.

Could it be due to compensation in posture? I had a bad ankle when I started walking daily years ago and I must have be compensating with my other leg and I started to have knee problems on the othert side.

Libra
30-06-15, 10:57
Thanks Terry. think im just weird lol.. Ive been reading up on muscle groups and wonder if maybe the initial diagnosis 20 years ago of sciatic nerve could have been wrong ?.. ( the Psaos muscle being another possibility or Piriformis ) I have a shoulder impingment and Bursitis in right shoulder but I feel the sciatic discomfort in left side and accompanying stiffness in left shoulder. Then when one eases so does the other.
You could well be right Terry thinking about it.. Maybe I do overcompensate when the "sciatic or whatever is playing up and affect other muscles.?

MyNameIsTerry
30-06-15, 11:13
You're not weird, Libra, if you are, we all are!

I know with mine I tend to change how I walk when its worse and I have to bend & stretch in certain ways. This can give me some more aches.

I posted a guide for referred pain in Top Tips. Thats quite detailed in terms of what nerves cause which pains so maybe there is something in there?

I've just started taking glucosamine as I've been having issues with my knees for about 6 weeks. I figured what the hell, it may help. My knees are certainly better and oddly my sciatica has improved in the last 2 days and I can bend with less restriction. I've only been taking it about 5 days.

So, I'm not sure what my issue is now, even though it presents as sciatica. I guess it could be something to do with discs. I've never really had back problems and assumed this was sciatica as it matches my dads and what I've reads/heard.

Libra
30-06-15, 11:30
Thanks again Terry, as always, very helpful.. I just realised as I was walking across room that im taking weight off sciatic side ( left), I expect that's enough to throw muscles a little. I put normal weight back on the left side so that im balanced and pressure went off shoulder ?..

MyNameIsTerry
30-06-15, 11:36
Its worth investigating. They say posture is a big issue anyway in anxiety with breathing and its bound to be an issue from a muscular point of view. If you have one leg slightly shorter than the other it can compromise you and cause joint problems often the hips so it makes sense for yours & mine, if you find you are doing it, as we are only really doing the same thing.

Davit
01-07-15, 01:51
If you have scoliosis as I do changing position to compensate for the leg can pinch nerves farther up in the spine.