PDA

View Full Version : Mirtizapine & Sertraline good stories please

ShaunD
02-07-15, 15:37
Hi I went to see my pdoc today who has added sertraline to my Mirtixapine.
Currently 30mg Mirtizapine & 50 mg sertraline going up too 100 mg after 1 week.
When Googling ( I know I shouldn't) but it says not to be used together.
When asking my pdoc she said that is a safe combination.
Any advise or anybody been on this combo.

hanshan
03-07-15, 03:18
I haven't been on that combination, but checking on the web, the potential danger is serotonin syndrome (too much serotonin), since both drugs can increase serotonin levels. It's uncommon, and self-reversing by stopping the medications.

It's very unlikely to happen, but watch out for symptoms, and call a doctor or go to a hospital if you think it's happening to you.

ShaunD
03-07-15, 18:07
Ok will do but not sure what the symptoms are but ok up too now just an upset stomach but that's apparently common when starting sertraline .

hanshan
03-07-15, 20:35
The symptoms are confusion, agitation or restlessness, dilated pupils, headache, changes in blood pressure and/or temperature, nausea and/or vomiting, diarrhea, rapid heart rate, tremor, loss of muscle coordination or twitching muscles, shivering and goose bumps, heavy sweating.

As you can see, a mixed bag, but basically "I feel really sick" territory. You would probably need to have several of these symptoms at the same time. However, it's self-limiting. Stop taking the meds, and it clears up in one to three days. And it's very uncommon, so don't worry.

ShaunD
03-07-15, 21:29
Ok thanks , I do have the diarrhoea & upset stomach & no appetite but I think that's just the start of this sertraline .
Thanks Again Shaun