PDA

View Full Version : Irrational fear Blood Pressure

Sallyg
02-07-15, 19:14
Hello
I am feeling my health anxiety kicking in - I am in checking, worrying mode about high blood pressure. The reason I suddenly started thinking about it was because I am going through the menopause and didn't know that lots of weird symptoms last year, were due to hormonal fluctuations. Anyhow, I have now read more about all this and coping quite well with how things are changing and ebbing and flowing, my health anxiety has been in check.

For some reason today I have fixated on something I read that says as soon as women lose hormones they are at greater risk of heart disease and increased blood pressure.

The rational action might be to go and get it checked, but I also do not want to over check. I am also in a fearful state today and never a good time to think straight.

My rational brain says blood pressure does not just become hypertensive suddenly and would rise gradually as we age and not suddenly. I had it checked about a year ago and I had an eye test 6 months ago, which I believe can notice high blood pressure.

I know what is triggering it - my mother had high blood pressure,unchecked for years (she never went to the doctor)and the menopause stuff that's freaked me out, thinking blood pressure might have shot up without me knowing. mine has gone slightly up over the last 10 years but often show whitecoat. The last time it was borderline and the doctor asked me to calm down and she saw it visible reduce.

I kind of know that if I go to the dr anxiety will be high and I am opening a can of worms. I would rather just get it checked like a 'normal' person would and not overcheck or create an issue where there isn't one. NHS website says:

"If you don't have high blood pressure you should get your blood pressure checked at least once every five years. However, as you get older your blood pressure is likely to increase and you should be checked more often, every year is ideal."

What is older? If I needed to get it checked more regularly would the GP have said? I know that it was hovering borderline, well the top number was.

I really hate not knowing when to worry and when not too and no confidence that I have checked and done the right thing and let it go.

Any rational thoughts/reassureance welcome - thank you

countrygirl
02-07-15, 22:37
I have the worlds worst white coat syndrome for blood pressure and pulse. I never ever had normal one of either if a Dr or nurse takes it. So my GP suggested that I buy a machine and take it at home three times a day for 6 weeks. He said the 24hr one the surgery use is no good for me as for the first day I am so terrified of the machine it would give false readings.

So I did buy a machine and did as he asked. For first 24 hrs I only had to look at the machine and my pulse shot up to 150bpm and my blood pressure was slightly raised.

After 2 days my BP was totally normal and my pulse was normal range as well. By 10 days in of doing it three times a day my fear had gone and my BP is actually rather low when I am not anxious.

This has not cured my white coat syndrome as they are all still high when done in a medical setting but at least I can take the previous 10 days at home readings with me to prove I have white coat syndrome.

My Gp said that you never suddenly develop sustained high blood pressure and this is what they are looking for, you would have persistantly high blood pressure readings every time you take it.

As he said to me if anyone ever gave me bp drugs I would never get off the floor as the only time my bp is not normal is when I am in a medical setting.

Davit
02-07-15, 23:00
For years I used my machine to monitor thinking down BP after a panic attack, lol it was hard on batteries I checked so often.

Sallyg
02-07-15, 23:45
I have the worlds worst white coat syndrome for blood pressure and pulse. I never ever had normal one of either if a Dr or nurse takes it. So my GP suggested that I buy a machine and take it at home three times a day for 6 weeks. He said the 24hr one the surgery use is no good for me as for the first day I am so terrified of the machine it would give false readings.

So I did buy a machine and did as he asked. For first 24 hrs I only had to look at the machine and my pulse shot up to 150bpm and my blood pressure was slightly raised.

After 2 days my BP was totally normal and my pulse was normal range as well. By 10 days in of doing it three times a day my fear had gone and my BP is actually rather low when I am not anxious.

This has not cured my white coat syndrome as they are all still high when done in a medical setting but at least I can take the previous 10 days at home readings with me to prove I have white coat syndrome.

My Gp said that you never suddenly develop sustained high blood pressure and this is what they are looking for, you would have persistantly high blood pressure readings every time you take it.

As he said to me if anyone ever gave me bp drugs I would never get off the floor as the only time my bp is not normal is when I am in a medical setting.

This is really interesting, thank you. I have never had it really explained to me that I have white coat syndrome and I think maybe I have a worry about BP because I dont really know what it is and how will I ever know the true reading if I don't do something like you have done.

If it is ever suggested it is high I will perhaps ask to do something similar to you, to find out if it really is white coat. I've only vaguely been told it is, the top number has always been higher than the bottom, unusally so and once a GP said this was a sign of white coat and the last time when it went down while I was having it done and purposefully 'meditating'!!

I just know I would feel similar to you in that seeing the machine does stress me out, but as I feel stressed a lot anyway, I was never sure I trusted that. Thanks for your reply, it's reassuring, also that BP never just shoots up as it were and stays there without a bit of time passing.

nivekc251
03-07-15, 06:25
Ive been through alot on the past year with my HA. I had a huge fear of high blood pressure. Iwould check it about 10 times a day. At first it would be 160/95 and that would freak me out then it would rise to 200/100. I did this to myself and I eventually realized it after many useless tests I had. Women going through menopause start to lose estrogen and some gain testosterone. Which is a factor in heart disease. Some women gain more than Others usually deepening of the voice and facial hair is a sign of testosterone gain Not heart disease. If you eat healthy exercise avoid smoking and drinking it lowers the risk tremendously. Stay calm and dont be like me lol. Try breathing exercises it helped me. In 2 seconds out 4 seconds in the positive out the negative.

countrygirl
03-07-15, 16:31
This is really interesting, thank you. I have never had it really explained to me that I have white coat syndrome and I think maybe I have a worry about BP because I dont really know what it is and how will I ever know the true reading if I don't do something like you have done.

If it is ever suggested it is high I will perhaps ask to do something similar to you, to find out if it really is white coat. I've only vaguely been told it is, the top number has always been higher than the bottom, unusally so and once a GP said this was a sign of white coat and the last time when it went down while I was having it done and purposefully 'meditating'!!

I just know I would feel similar to you in that seeing the machine does stress me out, but as I feel stressed a lot anyway, I was never sure I trusted that. Thanks for your reply, it's reassuring, also that BP never just shoots up as it were and stays there without a bit of time passing.

My Gp says that bp needs to be "persistantly" over 140/90 to be considered hypertension and he would need to see readings over a time to confirm that or in people without white coat syndrome the 24 hr moniter to confirm it.

They are also now changing their goalposts on what is normal, at one time everyone regardless of age was told they must have bp of no more than 120/80 but this is the bp of a 20 year old and keeping it so low in older people can cause alot of collapsing and hospital visits. Now they are saying 60 yrs old and over it can be 150/90 and considered normal.

Its different if you have a diagnosed heart disorder as they want to keep it low to relieve strain on the heart but this again causes huge problems for people. I know of so many old people who end up in hospital with collaspe due to blood pressure pills!

AlexandriaUK
03-07-15, 16:39
I spent a couple of years terrified of having BP taken as it would rise rapidly and so would pulse just like you and then I go a new Dr who said check it at home and it started high and then started to lower as I desensitised of the machine, like you its now quite low and even at the Dr it sits at 116/65 after the first one, the heat raised BP and pulse as well so don't worry.
PS I am also the other side of the menopause.

Sallyg
03-07-15, 20:45
Thanks for your reply Nivekc - I would never dare take my BP at home, I would most likely be in constant stress as to whether I should take it, what does it mean etc etc. I think I will try and rest assured it was checked just over a year ago and the blip in the Dr's was white coat. I do practise relaxation techniques but lost the habit this week!

---------- Post added at 20:40 ---------- Previous post was at 20:38 ----------

My Gp says that bp needs to be "persistantly" over 140/90 to be considered hypertension and he would need to see readings over a time to confirm that or in people without white coat syndrome the 24 hr moniter to confirm it.

They are also now changing their goalposts on what is normal, at one time everyone regardless of age was told they must have bp of no more than 120/80 but this is the bp of a 20 year old and keeping it so low in older people can cause alot of collapsing and hospital visits. Now they are saying 60 yrs old and over it can be 150/90 and considered normal.

Its different if you have a diagnosed heart disorder as they want to keep it low to relieve strain on the heart but this again causes huge problems for people. I know of so many old people who end up in hospital with collaspe due to blood pressure pills!

This is also interesting, I also read somewhere that the measure of what is normal is quite wide and also what you say about persistant readings - I'm just catastrophising that this will definately, for sure, happen to me at some point and of course my anxiety is telling me, it has happened already and I have 'missed it'! ;)

I have a friend that ended up in A&E after collapsing on BP pills :(

---------- Post added at 20:45 ---------- Previous post was at 20:40 ----------

I spent a couple of years terrified of having BP taken as it would rise rapidly and so would pulse just like you and then I go a new Dr who said check it at home and it started high and then started to lower as I desensitised of the machine, like you its now quite low and even at the Dr it sits at 116/65 after the first one, the heat raised BP and pulse as well so don't worry.
PS I am also the other side of the menopause.

It's reassuring to read that it really can go up just by looking at the machine, I know that I lowered mine whilst there, so there is proof it was anxiety - but the last few days I just lost all sense.

Other side of menopause sounds good, I have found it very difficult with Health Anxiety, much better now but was having weird things going on and the GP did not mention hormones for a whole year by which time my anxieties had risen. I am changing doctor after all that, so maybe the new doctor will perhaps explain BP a bit more to me as you have all done here. Reassuring to know that it doesn't just go up suddenly and with a recent eye test and reading a year ago, things should be OK. I just had catastrophic images of hormones leaving body = BP shooting up, but rationally that can't happen otherwise ALL women would be sent for BP pills at a certain point! The mind is so infuriating!

swajj
05-07-15, 06:03
Why are you even questioning this? You are older. Well assuming you have gone through menopause around age 50 you are anyway. I don't understand your dilemma. Going on BP meds is no big deal. Having consistently high blood pressure is a big deal as it can lead to strokes. Go and get it checked and see what the doctor advises. There are no doctors here. And even if there are they can't diagnose high BP over the internet.

---------- Post added at 14:13 ---------- Previous post was at 14:04 ----------

Also not taking BP meds because you think it will make your BP too low is just stupid. You would know if it was too low because you would be lightheaded.

---------- Post added at 14:33 ---------- Previous post was at 14:13 ----------

Who is saying that 150 over 90 is fine countrygirl? My husband is 49 and his BP is 110 over 80. My doctor says the lower the better as long as it is in healthy range.

Sallyg
06-07-15, 15:36
Why am I questioning this? Because I have health anxiety ;) I am 45 and going through early menopause and I don't want to take BP medication if I can avoid it - I don't really understand BP all that well and answers here have helped. It can be lowered and it fluctuates and it can spike in the Dr's surgery.

I was feeling anxious and needed someone to listen - it is a big deal to me.

swajj
06-07-15, 17:10
I have HA too but I also have high blood pressure. If you are concerned about it to the point that you "know" it will be high if you get it checked then you should be getting it checked. Simple. And honestly how helpful were the answers you received here? You were told that 150 over 90 is fine for goodness sake. Once again, there are no doctors here. Get your BP taken by a trained professional who will tell you if it is too high and prescribe medication if he or she believes you should be taking it.

Sallyg
07-07-15, 00:14
I have HA too but I also have high blood pressure. If you are concerned about it to the point that you "know" it will be high if you get it checked then you should be getting it checked. Simple. And honestly how helpful were the answers you received here? You were told that 150 over 90 is fine for goodness sake. Once again, there are no doctors here. Get your BP taken by a trained professional who will tell you if it is too high and prescribe medication if he or she believes you should be taking it.

I appreciate what you are saying but perhaps some misunderstanding. I wasn't seeking medical advise per se, more understanding of the irrational health anxiety and info on BP management - your answer is calm and to the point, which is a helpful opinion. Other answers were empathetic and mirroring, to some extent my own anxiety about doctors/tests etc and useful information on the treatment of BP and white coat.

I mistyped and didn't mean I 'know' the BP will be high, I meant my anxiety will be high at the doctors - I was trying to make the decision whether I needed to actually visit the doctor at all - I have no reason too. I have learnt that it's not always good to follow my fears when I am looking for reassurance generally, focussing on a health concern as a way to feel more 'in control'. That's how I have understood my HA and the BP fear came out of the blue and was speaking out loud here to try and decide whether I had actually been negligent already and not had it checked in just over a year - I've decided that I am not 'old' and that once every couple of years is fine unless I go sooner for something else. Sometimes over checking and investigations can fuel HA - I was just trying to work out what was best for me by talking with others. I found your post a little dismissive.

swajj
07-07-15, 04:28
Ok. I guess I felt that you were concerned about your blood pressure being high but rather than take medication you were looking for people to agree with you that it wasn't necessary. Don't be afraid to take meds if you need to. BP meds have saved many lives and the incidence of stroke is massively reduced compared to what it used to be. No you are not old. At 44 you are middle aged but don't forget that high blood pressure can be the result of anxiety. Mine is.

---------- Post added at 12:58 ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 ----------

Btw I apologise for calling you old. I meant older not elderly lol.

Sallyg
07-07-15, 15:07
Ok. I guess I felt that you were concerned about your blood pressure being high but rather than take medication you were looking for people to agree with you that it wasn't necessary. Don't be afraid to take meds if you need to. BP meds have saved many lives and the incidence of stroke is massively reduced compared to what it used to be. No you are not old. At 44 you are middle aged but don't forget that high blood pressure can be the result of anxiety. Mine is.

---------- Post added at 12:58 ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 ----------

Btw I apologise for calling you old. I meant older not elderly lol.

I am glad you don't consider 45 old :) No I wasn't looking for agreement not to take medication and I don't have diagnosed high blood pressure - complete misunderstanding I think.

I completely appreciate that medication saves lives. I am not at that stage yet, I was freaking out about when to check if I am but not over check. HA causes us to think things are wrong when they are not - I've never heard that anxiety causes permanently elevated BP.

ricardo
07-07-15, 17:14
White coat syndrome effects nearly everyone but as anxious people readings can of course be higher.

I would argue that 150/90 persistently is high regardless if one is continuously anxious, and therefore should be brought down.

Many doctors quite rightly suggest to check your readings at home when you are more relaxed and the other possibility is that if your readings are lower and in the guidelines ( i think 120/80) you should make another appointment with your doctor,taking your BP machine and have your BP taken one after the other with your and the doctors machine. If they are more or less the same, the readings don't really matter with the proviso that your home readings are acceptable.

countrygirl
07-07-15, 21:13
Why are you even questioning this? You are older. Well assuming you have gone through menopause around age 50 you are anyway. I don't understand your dilemma. Going on BP meds is no big deal. Having consistently high blood pressure is a big deal as it can lead to strokes. Go and get it checked and see what the doctor advises. There are no doctors here. And even if there are they can't diagnose high BP over the internet.

---------- Post added at 14:13 ---------- Previous post was at 14:04 ----------

Also not taking BP meds because you think it will make your BP too low is just stupid. You would know if it was too low because you would be lightheaded.

---------- Post added at 14:33 ---------- Previous post was at 14:13 ----------

Who is saying that 150 over 90 is fine countrygirl? My husband is 49 and his BP is 110 over 80. My doctor says the lower the better as long as it is in healthy range.

I personally was not saying this is normal, I was just quoting from a newspaper article that said Drs are now changing their thinking on blood pressure levels for people aged over 70. This may not actually happen but its is being talked about by the medics according to the article.

As I said any persistantly high reading needs treatment regardless of the cause.

Sallyg many thanks for appreciating the help we were trying to give you.

Sallyg
07-07-15, 23:26
Your welcome CountryGirl.

This is obviously a hot topic with many different opinions and experiences. As yet, my doctor hasn't suggested anything is a miss. My anxiety got the better of me and reading that menopause makes it go up, I irrationally figured it might have happened overnight and what if..........

If I get to the point of needing medication I will ask to try and reduce it myself first - persistant anxiety could of course keep it high, but I'm taking the view that it went down in minutes in the Dr's surgery and have just read on Heart UK website that it can rise up to 10 points in the office, which makes my reading fine.

I also know of people collapsing from blood pressure pills, some don't suit people, my friend ended up in hospital, she collapsed and they had a scary few hours waiting for the medicine to get out of her system. I would not be foolish and refuse medication but I am mindful that all medication needs adjusting too etc and I guess my HA would be challenged by that as well.

countrygirl
08-07-15, 10:51
Sallyg that is a very sensible post. There are alot of "natural" ways you can try and reduce blood pressure via breathing techniques and consuming certain foods.

I too would def take blood pressure medication if I had persistantly high blood pressure. Like you I know so many people who have ended up in hospital because of being over medicated but as long as you aware of what can happen you can seek Drs advice if you start feeling faint .

My poor uncle who is 94 ended up being wongly diagnosed with epilepsy( put on medication for it) and could not drive for a year when in fact it was his blood pressure pills, as in the middle of the day he naturally had a sudden drop in pressure ( age related) so combined with his bp pills he kept going unconscious. Thankfully a different Dr reduced his bp pills and the attacks stopped and further tests proved what had been happening. He still needs bp pills but just a reduced dose.

Libra
08-07-15, 11:15
I too have whitecoat syndrome.. Couple years ago..first reading 160/90. 3 minutes later..152/90 another 3 mins and 140/90. GP was not concerned as he said the pressure would not drop like that if there was a pressure problem and said it was white coat syndrome/anxiety. Don't know about anyone else but that tight cuff is enough to set me off :ohmy:..

AlexandriaUK
08-07-15, 16:34
Hi Sally thought I would just tell you what happened Monday morning when I went to the Dr about my RA and didn't see my usual Dr, I saw the one who whenever I see him my BP rockets eeek, went in and because I had done a week and then a separate week of regular BP check which my normal Dr was well pleased with as the were well below ''normal'' and even on me doing the odd one at home are all good.
So he said your BP looks good lets check, I knew instantly it would be up as my HR started to rise, 155/75 and pulse 104 (actually lower than it used to be when he took it but still high) I went straight to the hall machine and took 3 started 133/75 122/69 116/63 sent them into him so it go to show how erratic anxiety can make it.
Hope yours is settling