PDA

View Full Version : venlafaxine poop out inquiry

mezzaninedoor
02-07-15, 20:35
I have been increased onto 225mg from 150mg slow release vanlafaxine for 5-6 weeks now and I have noticed the tablet in my poop 4 times

Should I be worried

My GP/Doctor says that its a matrix tablet so even though the vensir venlafaxine tablet has pooped out the contents should have still delivered

Thing is my mood/anxietystill isn't improving currently

Poppy Girl
05-07-15, 22:48
Hiya
If you read the information leaflet that comes with the tablets it does say in there not to be worried if you see the tablet in your stools - the active ingredient is absorbed by the body as it travels through you digestive tract and what's excreted is not needed. I've been on ven for a year now and it's worked for me even though I've seen the tablet in the loo a few times!
Hope you start to feel better soon x

mezzaninedoor
06-07-15, 12:37
Thank you

MyNameIsTerry
07-07-15, 05:41
As Poppy Girl says its in the leaflets and here is some information on why this is quite normal and the fact the dosage has been delivered:

http://www.mydr.com.au/medicines/cmis/efexor-xr-modified-release-capsules

Do not be concerned if you see small white granules or balls in your stools after taking Efexor-XR. Inside Efexor-XR capsules are spheroids or small white balls that contain the venlafaxine active ingredient. These spheroids are released from the capsule into your gastrointestinal tract. As the spheroids travel the length of your gastrointestinal tract, venlafaxine is slowly released. The spheroid 'shell' remains undissolved and is eliminated in your stools. Therefore, even though, you may see spheroids in your stools, your dose of venlafaxine has been absorbed.

http://www.nottsapc.nhs.uk/attachments/article/3/venlafaxine%20higher%20dose%20information%20sheet. pdf

Some modified-release formulations (e.g. Venlalic XL) release venlafaxine through a small hole in the
tablet leaving a “ghost” tablet that passes unchanged through the gastrointestinal tract. Patients
should be advised and reassured that if they notice the tablet in their stool the dose of venlafaxine has
been absorbed.