PDA

View Full Version : CBT

jules9
31-01-07, 22:58
Im a very mixed up person at the moment, I have experienced panick attacks/gad for the last 25 years on and off but only affected my life in the last 7 months for which I finally received councelling which was good. I have 2 more appointments left which is leaving me with very mixed feelings. I have put so much trust in my therapist that I look at her as a friend now so Im not sure what happens or how I will feel once these sessions have finished.

Has anyone experienced these feelings with Councelling if so how have you dealt with it. It makes me feel that they give you a number of sessions and if thats not enough then tough luck get on with it, Any advice please
thanks
Jules

j

honeybee3939
31-01-07, 23:13
Hi Jules

And welcome to NMP lovely to see you here.

Are you having CBT on the NHS? when i had my CBT with the NHS i felt the same when it was over, i talked about this with him, so he refereed me to the local Mental health Clinic where i still get support from Community Workers. Maybe you could ask if there is any services in your area which could help if you feel the need.

Love

Andrea
xxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"

jules9
31-01-07, 23:25
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi Jules

And welcome to NMP lovely to see you here.

Are you having CBT on the NHS? when i had my CBT with the NHS i felt the same when it was over, i talked about this with him, so he refereed me to the local Mental health Clinic where i still get support from Community Workers. Maybe you could ask if there is any services in your area which could help if you feel the need.

Love

Andrea

Hi Andrea,thanks for the warm welcome,

On the NHS, but I am a bit worried that i will have to go through my life story again and I don.t think that is such a good idea as I have managed to put alot behind me now. Did you find it easy to confide in another therapist? The other thing that Im very mixed up about is that my therapist has given me her email which I have emailed her on various occassions, and I keep asking myelf why did she give me this.

Therapy is good butdoes it give you mixed emotions.
Thanks
Jules
xxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"

<div align="right">Originally posted by honeybee3939 - 31 January 2007 : 22:13:02</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

j

lass
31-01-07, 23:45
Hi Jules

I have had my last counselling session today. I was originally told I would have approximately 8 sessions. When we reached session number 7, we discussed whether I felt I needed more, and we both agreed I did. I think in the end I must have had 10 sessions (on NHS). My therapist was actually leaving her job today but also I felt that I had acheived a fair amount and it was a natural time to stop. I was told that the 8 sessions was not set in stone, that this was just an approximation of what people need on average.

So today my counsellor has discussed various ways in which I can cope if and when things get bad again. She has recommended some self help books which I have ordered from Amazon. And she has told me that this isn't "final" - if I ever need more counselling (be it a one-off or a course), then it is still available for me, I don't need to feel I've had my quota so to speak.

I was a bit worried today how it would all end, but now I feel quite confident to "go it alone" and see how things go, and I know the service is still there for me if I need it. Unfortunately for me it would be with a different counsellor, but that's only because my one has left the job!

Have a chat with your therapist and discuss your concerns, I'm sure she'll put your mind at rest.

Hope this helps a bit

Caroline

honeybee3939
31-01-07, 23:45
Hi Jules

With my first initial appointment at the clinic, we never discussed my issues as the therapist knew about my history from the CBT, we just discussed which was the best way forward, I.e, anxiety management courses, assertiveness etc and also gave me the opportunity to go to social groups. I found it very useful and have made progress since.

Not realy sure Jules why the therapist gave you her email address.

Love

Andrea
xxx

jules9
01-02-07, 21:11
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi Jules

I have had my last counselling session today. I was originally told I would have approximately 8 sessions. When we reached session number 7, we discussed whether I felt I needed more, and we both agreed I did. I think in the end I must have had 10 sessions (on NHS). My therapist was actually leaving her job today but also I felt that I had acheived a fair amount and it was a natural time to stop. I was told that the 8 sessions was not set in stone, that this was just an approximation of what people need on average.

So today my counsellor has discussed various ways in which I can cope if and when things get bad again. She has recommended some self help books which I have ordered from Amazon. And she has told me that this isn't "final" - if I ever need more counselling (be it a one-off or a course), then it is still available for me, I don't need to feel I've had my quota so to speak.

I was a bit worried today how it would all end, but now I feel quite confident to "go it alone" and see how things go, and I know the service is still there for me if I need it. Unfortunately for me it would be with a different counsellor, but that's only because my one has left the job!

Have a chat with your therapist and discuss your concerns, I'm sure she'll put your mind at rest.

Hope this helps a bit

Caroline

<div align="right">Originally posted by ckirby25 - 31 January 2007 : 22:45:25</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

thanks Caroline,

your reply has been helpfull, I will try and discuss it more this week when I see my therapist, I just don,t want her to think of it in a different way I have never trusted anyone enough to tell them all whats going on in my head and the things that we have discussed are so personal, and the things she has managed to get me to remember that went back about 20 years ago that even I never remembered until half way through therapy.

It gets more and more complicated as it goes on.

thanks
Jules9

j