PDA

View Full Version : Is there something wrong with me?

char123
03-07-15, 13:52
Hi, I don't even know if this is anxiety but I need to know if this means that there is something wrong with me.

I've noticed that I am different in front of friends than I am at home in front of my mum and brother. Out with my friends I am fun, don't take anything to heart and I'm talkative but at home I seem to be in a mood most of the time. It's like I have no patience for my brother or my mum and I'm wondering if there is something wrong with me?! I seem to have arguments with my mum a lot over things like 'I don't seem to respect her' but she believes that she is 'superior' to me. I understand this because she is my mum but it's like she thinks that she is always right and that she knows more than me. Also, I don't see her as the kindest, most caring mother and when I see the relationship between my friends and their mums it makes me sad because I don't have that. I do love her because she is my mum but we seen to snap at each other and don't get on together. I feel like she prefers my brother to me as well and their relationship is better than ours so is there something wrong with me?

My brother is different to me, he is outgoing, confident and popular, he has no problems with anxiety or anything of the sort. I seem to have less patience with him because I think he doesn't understand my anxiety, he thinks it's my fault or isn't actually real and sort of laughs at me for it. He jokes with stuff about me 'not being able to cross the roadby myself' to go to the shop because it makes me nervous. I can get on with him though sometimes. My patience has seemed to be less because any mocking statement that takes the mick out of me that he says annoys me now and I just look at him and not say anything. He just jokes but it's like I can't be bothered with it. Also, it's like because he is older he thinks he has more 'superior' to me too and that irritates me.

I know this sounds like a stupid post but I need to know if this means that I'm odd or crazy or something. Obviously I'm overanalysing it because of the anxiety. With my friends I think I like myself more because I'm not moody or irritable but fun. Does this mean that I have two personalities??? Am I two faced or something?? I'm even different around my older sister's, who don't live with me, (I'm like I am with my friends around them) because they understand me more. I can't tell if me being around my friend is an act and just don't want to admit it. When my friends have been to my house, my mum notices that I am different around them than I am 'normally'. Am I just happier around them? I don't even know, I'm sorry for the really long message but I need to know if this is normal.

Thanks for reading. I'm a 16 year old girl so this could be hormones ( I have been much more emotional lately). I've just started seeing a counsellor over my anxiety and I want to tell her about this but I thought it would be easier to write it down on here first to make it clearer in my mind. Please please please reply nicely because I freak out easily!! thanks again.

Soulcatcher71
03-07-15, 15:30
I can't answer for your case specifically Char123, but i do know that we all act a little differently depending on what company we're in ... and that can be due to many factors; the personalities of the people, the social situation, how relaxed you are etc ...

Let us know how you get on.

char123
03-07-15, 17:09
Thanks for replying,
I'm starting to wonder if it is just because I don't have the greatest relationship with my mother because we clash. Sometimes though I find that she is so annoying and I feel terrible for thinking this. I understand that everyone acts different around different people so am I not crazy? I will try my best to not get irritated when I'm at home so hopefully our relationship will be better. Has anyone else felt like this though? I couldn't find anyone else on the internet that described how I feel so I feel like the only one who thinks this?

Soulcatcher71
03-07-15, 17:12
When I was your age, if I was with adults I was shy and polite, with friends I was loud and outgoing, and with my family I was moody & disobedient.

If this sounds familiar then you definitely aren't alone!

char123
03-07-15, 20:18
Thankyou again!
That sounds just like me, I guess I was over thinking about it before. So I suppose it is normal and nothing to worry about? I do have a habit of turning 'nothing' into an issue in my head that stays on my mind, is that caused by anxiety?
Thanks

Davit
03-07-15, 21:53
char

That is perfectly normal, there is nothing wrong with you, just that survival skills only kick in where needed, your mind thinks they are needed with your family. They certainly are not needed with your friends.