PDA

View Full Version : Pregabalin – does it take long?

milicentzulu
04-07-15, 03:45
I have just started on Pregabalin. I'm having to divide the 75mg capsules and space them out, as my first try of one caused a nice euphoria followed by a panic attack. I imagine this is just my system not being used to the drug?.

I've noticed a lot of people, myself included, get a reaction straight away from it. It's not meant to be used PRN, and I've seen people say it takes about a week to properly kick in.

Is this initial affect possibly just a side effect?

What have most people noticed about the time frame it takes to kick in properly/

Thanks in advance.

Phill2
04-07-15, 03:49
This drug really confuses me.
On here it's being used for panic etc but my wife has been prescribed it to treat nerve pain after an operation??

MyNameIsTerry
04-07-15, 04:30
This drug really confuses me.
On here it's being used for panic etc but my wife has been prescribed it to treat nerve pain after an operation??

Some of them are like that, Phill. Pregabalin is also licensed to treat epilepsy, for instance.

My med, Duloxetine, is used to treat GAD, MDD, neuropathic pain and some form of urinary issue that I can't recall without checking.

hanshan
04-07-15, 05:12
Hi Milicentzulu, and welcome to NMP,

Pregabalin has an immediate effect for some people, and for others it can take a week or so - everyone reacts a bit differently. The half-life is short, which can contribute to ups and downs when you start taking it. It may be best to take it three times a day at first if possible, and then switch to two times a day later on.

The initial euphoric effect also occurs for many people, but doesn't last. Generally, pregabalin is working best if you don't feel anything much, except your anxiety has gone or decreased greatly. Good luck with it, and keep us posted about your progress.

Phill2
04-07-15, 06:45
Some of them are like that, Phill. Pregabalin is also licensed to treat epilepsy, for instance.

My med, Duloxetine, is used to treat GAD, MDD, neuropathic pain and some form of urinary issue that I can't recall without checking.

Thanks Terry

ricardo
04-07-15, 06:46
I was on lyrica about 5 years ago for anxiety and as usual with me it didn't help but out of all anti depressants I have ever had it made me the most hungry and I put on a lot of weight.

I am now back on it at a very low dosage for nerve pain associated with urinary problems. I have been on 50mg for a week and as yet not felt much difference.

As hanshan says we all act differently, but to be absolutely honest I am not a good adviser on this as nearly every pill I take gives me side effects which are worse than the original symptom, but anyway, good luck.

The original use was for epilepsy.

hanshan
05-07-15, 08:32
Hi Ricardo,

I hope you can get a positive response from pregabalin. Some people seem to respond at very low doses, but others need more. The weight thing is something just about everyone who has taken a psychoactive medication has faced at some time in their life. My advice to anyone is to deal with it as it is happening, not when you are twenty pounds heavier.

SarahH
05-07-15, 10:23
Hanshan is right as ever:D I think for me when I am anxious I loose weight just burning more calories . so when I am relaxed on meds the weight just goes on naturally. Maybe this is the same for all drugs that take away stress. You relax, dont necessarily eat more but your body isn't burning up the calories.

Just a thought

Sarah

MyNameIsTerry
05-07-15, 10:28
Weight gain is always a difficult one too because increased cortisol is associated with increased bodyfat in certain areas of the body and what keeps that cortisol pumping higher than normal? Anxiety, stress, all the usual stuff. Bringing down these levels mean burning less nutrients as Sarah says but relaxing more also means less elevated cortisol and less fat storage.

ricardo
05-07-15, 11:34
Well in that case I need to get a young mistress lol :)