PDA

View Full Version : Worried I took too much propanolol?

eastofeden
05-07-15, 00:39
Today I honestly couldn't remember taking a dose of propanolol yet, I might have but I really couldn't recall, so I took a dose of 40mg just to be safe, just now, and I feel stupid. You're supposed to leave at least 6-8 hours between doses and I might have not left more than 4 hours. Now I'm worried they're going to slow my heart down too much and I'm going to die.

I used to take up to 160mg everyday, but now I take 2 of the 40mg instant release kind instead. I'm just really paranoid that my heart will slow down to a dangerous level, even though my resting heart rate is quite high due to anxiety...the fact that they are instant release scares me too...because they work so fast :weep:

Am I going to die?

I've looked up information on propanolol overdose but most of these overdoses occur at huge doses, like 800mg+. I can't find any information on taking one extra dose.

Davit
05-07-15, 02:08
You are fine all that will happen is you will huff and puff trying to do anything. It doesn't slow your heart as much as it stops it from speeding up. You would need to take a lot to die, a very big dose. Just go about like normal.

johnno
05-07-15, 02:45
I'm on propanolol and I wouldn't be worried if I took two tablets :) you'll fine.

eastofeden
05-07-15, 03:19
Thanks guys, my hr has slowed down now but it is about 70bpm which isn't too slow, not dangerously low or anything. I remember a few months ago I ended up taking 4-5 tablets in the space of about 2 hours, and I went up to the hospital to get checked out, and was okay.

Plus, I can only see information on overdoses at huge quantities, nobody seems to have died yet from taking 1 extra tablet! Thanks again. I'm going to keep an eye on things tonight but not get too worked up.

johnno
05-07-15, 03:21
How is propanolol working for you ?

eastofeden
05-07-15, 05:36
When I take the right dose, great actually, it's been a life-saver, especially when doing public speaking, presentations etc. I've been on it about 3 years but I'm hoping to come off it, just because I'm still pretty young and don't want to be dependent on it my whole life. It completely stops the adrenaline rushes and almost no side effects, apart from the tiniest bit of memory loss that seems to be evident tonight :blush:

Speaking of which, I've heard this medication is actually used to help patients with PTSD too, it seems to help 'erase' certain memories, or rather, helps the brain process and store them properly in the correct long term area so they don't constantly re-occur. Pretty cool.

Davit
05-07-15, 07:39
Surgeons use it so their hand don't shake. Musicians for stage fright.

ricardo
05-07-15, 08:02
Surgeons use it so their hand don't shake. Musicians for stage fright.

I thought you were watching a film lol.