PDA

View Full Version : A Message from Me, Pipkin

Pipkin
05-07-15, 16:11
Hello all my fellow NMP members!

I've decided to tell you a little story which is from my perspective as a member of NMP, not as an administrator. It's not aimed at any individuals or approaches, it's just an honest and transparent post :).

A little about me: I have suffered from an anxiety disorder (labelled GAD but that can mean a myriad of things to different people) for all of my adult life and much of my childhood. I understand the physiological and psychological (body and mind) causes of my anxiety very well. At the same time, I have found a whole range of ways to enable me to lead as 'normal' life as possible which include therapy, lifestyle changes :woofand medication. I have worked full-time since university and have never taken a day's sick leave. All in all, I've not done too bad although I've had some very difficult times over the years.

Four years ago, I went rapidly downhill to the point of constant panic, virtually unbearable physical symptoms with borderline psychosis. Nothing I did helped and I was in a state of desperation. Keeping working through this was almost impossible but somehow I did (with the help of an understanding boss). And then I stumbled upon NMP through a Google search, like many of us do, looking for another solution. This was the point at which everything changed. I found genuine, kind people who understood, having been through similar situations themselves. I found mutual support, buddied up with people in the same boat and, as a group, we got ourselves through. The warmth of members and their genuine desire to help others was something I had never seen before. Without this, I can't imagine where I would be now.

So now on to the main part of what I wanted to say. If you're still with me at this point, well done and as a prize, I'll whistle a little tune for you later :whistles:! Instead of feeling better and then disappearing from NMP, the site which enabled me to meet some marvellous people and turn my life around, I decided to see if I could give back and support people whose issues I could relate to. Subsequently, Nicola kindly offered me a role as administrator which I jumped at as it enabled me to give back even more, a role which I will continue as long as Nicola wants me to. The tireless and selfless work Nicola puts into maintaining this site is unbelievable. I can never repay the debt I owe her for this, but I try through my own little contribution. I never take this site for granted. Never.

As an administrator, I'm not looking for gratitude or recognition :flowers:. I'm not actually asking for anything for myself. What I value is that me and my admin colleagues are treated with respect, with an understanding that it can be a tough role and that we too are anxiety sufferers. This has been lacking in some quarters recently to the point that some of us are finding it very distressing and difficult to cope with, exacerbated by some challenging personal situations, for Nic in particular. For me, well I'll take it on the chin, have a few sleepless nights, a day or two of raised anxiety levels and the odd panic attack. Nothing I haven't experienced before and will again. I can't comment on the rest of the team but it hasn't been easy. It's a shame that it's so unnecessary.

So to end my (what turned out to be not so) little story and if you're still with me, your sainthood will follow :noangel:, I want to say thank you to all the members who have helped me over the years, the admin team who despite what I have said, never lose their focus on helping others for free in their leisure time, and most of all Nicola for having started NMP all those years ago and dedicating so much of her life to its maintenance and daily running. I think as members, we can all take a collective bow for the support we give which makes this such a welcoming and unique site. That is certainly something to be proud of.

For those of you who have made it to the end, your little tune, sainthood and as special Pipkin bonus, a hug :hugs:, will be dispatched shortly.

Take care

Pip

Rennie1989
05-07-15, 16:18
What a lovely post, Pip!

It is great to read stories like these because people can easily get stuck in a spiral of negativity and doom-and-gloom. It is possible to regain control over one's anxiety and life, and it's important that posts like these continue to pop up. I too have experienced that near-psychosis (or may have been full blown psychosis, you never know exactly) moment of paranoia, false beliefs and constant terror, and am now here.

It is a shame that the admin team do not get the appreciation that you deserve, being one of the admins on the Facebook group it is irritating, if nothing else, when the mods and admins get slagged off when all you guys do is work sodding hard, especially when it is behind the scenes. Rest assured that more people appreciate your hard work than those who don't.

Keep it up!

agnes
05-07-15, 16:36
Yes, lovely post, Pipkin.

You all do a brilliant job, hugs to you all xx

Sparkle1984
05-07-15, 16:49
Thank you for this inspirational post, Pipkin! :) It gives me hope as I've been going through a tough time in these last few weeks. I appreciate the hard work put into this website by all the admins and moderators. :)

lindy lou 2
05-07-15, 17:03
Yes, I agree with everything said, without the administrators we would not have this site. I am new on here & unexpectedly posted a thread which turned into conflict.
As far as I am concerned, it is done & dusted now, apologies have been made & accepted.
Lets not have any more of it, and just support each other , please.
Thanks for that lovely post,:hugs:

Oosh
05-07-15, 17:05
I've been where you are. It's hard to win once you cross that line.

I think you come across well and that's not easy to do.

In places like this, to me, sensitivity is the most important thing. It's not a forum, it's a mental health forum and it goes without saying that that should be extended also to the people who cross the line and become helpers. So yeh, sensitivity to ALL.

Elen
05-07-15, 19:35
Hear Hear Pip well said and thanks to you and the rest of the admin team

Pipkin
05-07-15, 20:38
Thanks for your lovely replies, it's very much appreciated. I'm especially taken with Paul's 'Stepford Administrators' vision, as I sit here with my hair all sticking up with two dysfunctional dogs fighting with each other and smelling really bad from something evil they rolled in before. Not a shiny child in sight..

I should also have mentioned the great job the chat room moderators do and the conflict they deal with so well. I know the chat room isn't working at the moment but we are working on that one. Thanks chaps.

Take care

Pip x

sial72
05-07-15, 22:04
What a lovely funny message from Paul!

Poppy Girl
06-07-15, 00:10
Pipkin,
Without knowing it you have helped me so much! I read from start to finish (yes, the whole thread!) the thread started by Pink Dove on the venlafaxine sub forum. I didn't post very much on here at the time as I read a bit of the thread each day and felt I was living through Pink's journey. It gave me hope and your advice to her was great - never dictating what she should do but just being there for her every day and sharing your own experiences. As I was going through almost the same thing (tried different meds and wary of taking ven as heard bad things about it) I was so greatful for this site and to be able to read that thread. I bit the bullet, took the ven and one year on I'm pretty much back to normal but much more self aware. Still on the ven but that's just fine. I'll take it for as long as I need to.
I tend to come on here now a couple of times a week and just try and support others by sharing my experiences of anxiety and my recovery journey.
Without people like you and Nicola, who give up their time selflessly to try and improve the lives of others, I doubt I'd be in the good place I am today.
So thank you for your advice and your positive post. Much appreciated! :yahoo:

Pipkin
06-07-15, 06:46
Poppy,

I'm so pleased you find the site so helpful :D. The thread you're referring to is our little group who supported each other through some very difficult times - I don't know where I'd be without those lovely people. It must have taken you a while to read through thousands of posts!

The fact that you're now much better and no doubt deal with life's inevitable ups and downs, shows what this site is all about. You've helped me to start my day on a very positive note. Thanks!

Take care and I'm never far away if you need me

Pip xx

Sunflower2
06-07-15, 11:59
I've said in the past and will say again, without this site I would be in a much worse state. I joined at the start of last year while in a right state and confused and in denial about my conditions. I can't even describe the relief I felt when I realised I wasn't alone in all these awful scary thoughts and feelings. It has also helped me to fight for treatment, overcome an eating disorder and find strength to start medication. Without the support it would have been a completely different story.

Anyway, without the admin this site would not be running and it is amazing how big the site has become as it must have started very small in the beginning.

Thank you for your tireless hard work and volunteering to keep this site running as smoothly as possible. :)

swgrl09
06-07-15, 16:11
Thanks for all you do! This site has been a huge help to me over the years ... Sometimes I'm on here more often and other times just once in a while, but it's comforting to know everybody is here going through similar and being supportive .. I felt so alone before I found this place!!

Annie0904
06-07-15, 22:52
Thank you for sharing this Pipkin and for all the work you do on NMP, it is very much appreciated.

Autumnx1003
06-07-15, 23:57
Thank you for all you do!

blue moon
07-07-15, 00:24
Hi Pip:D.

Thank you x You have made this day more beautiful.

Petra x