PDA

View Full Version : Extremely Worried I have ALS!

Scinto
06-07-15, 00:15
Hi, I'm an 18 year old, and have been on edge recently. I seriously think I have ALS. I've been having muscle twitching all over, some tingling, some weakness in hands and feet, dizziness, vision change, weight loss, horrible memory, difficulty finding words, some fatigue, stuff muscles, facial twitcing, tremors in different areas of the body. If anyone could shine some light on these symptoms, I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

Gary A
06-07-15, 01:42
Could literally be dozens of things. Have you been to see your doctor about these symptoms?

Scinto
06-07-15, 01:51
Yes, I've saw my regular doctor multiple times when it all started. I saw a neurologist 2 months ago because she thought it was MS, but she didn't find anything. I saw an endocrinologist, he found nothing. I've had blood tests, MRI's of brain and spine, EKG, etc. No one seems to be able to figure it out. That's why I'm freaking out it migh be ALS, because the only test is an EMG, and they are usually normal in the early stages. Thank you for responding.

Liv7117
06-07-15, 01:52
Hi, anxiety can cause a lot of these symptoms. I've also been stumbling/messing up on my words lately and I get twitches all over! My right eye, my legs, my stomach, ALL over. The weakness, tingling, dizziness, etc, are all classic anxiety symptoms. They will only get worse the more you focus on them. Every time you get a symptom, tel yourself it's anxiety, not ALS. Also, ALS is already extremely rare and almost unheard of in an 18 year old. Try not to worry about it:)

Scinto
06-07-15, 02:00
Thank You Liv I really appreciate your response! That made me feel better:) The twitching is annoying, but sometimes my parents, friends and I joke about it:)

rudiskacel
06-07-15, 02:04
Muscle twitching all over: Comes after weakness, most ALS sufferers don't actually feel there twitches, and if they did then they are confined to the single part of their body that is weakening.
Tingling: A sensory issue, points away from ALS.
Hand and feet weakness: Try lift up a 5kg weight. Can you?
Dizziness: Again, not an ALS symptom
Vision Change: ALS doesn't affect the eyes, Steven Hawkings still sees perfectly
Memory: ALS doesn't affect memory
Difficulty finding words: Not an ALS symptom.
Tremors: Not an ALS symptom.
Stiff Muscles: Not an ALS symptom.

I am in the same boat as you, I have difficulty swallowing and have convinced myself I have ALS even though the likelihood is mega low. I have twitches too and they are the scariest thing ever, and everytime I feel one I think ALS.

Scinto
06-07-15, 06:52
Thank You so much for being very specific in describing wether or not the symptoms match to als or not, it made me feel better and really helped me, thank you thank you!! I can lift a 5kg. It feels a little heavier in my right arm, even though I'm right handed.

Scinto
06-07-15, 23:11
I sound like a hypochondriac, but I've been walking sort of weird, feeling weak in different areas of the body, dropping things, sweating, fatigue, stiffness. Can anyone relate?