PDA

View Full Version : Please help

lisa p
01-02-07, 12:06
Oh dear in 10 mins time I have to drop my son off to school and I am feeling so ill. I cant stop shaking, even my teeth are chattering, my legs feel like they are going to buckle and I feel so sick.

He is going to school for the afternoon as he has been ill and then I have to go back at 3.10 and collected them both. This is getting worse by the day. The build up to doing just the school run is making me feel so ill, and tired.

What am I going to do.

Lisax

honeybee3939
01-02-07, 12:20
Hi Lisa

I have sent you a PM, but you must have set off, hope you made the school run hun, was thinking of you.

Hugs

Andrea
xxxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"

heths
01-02-07, 12:46
Hi Lisa,

I'm sorry you're feeling like this, I don't have children so I don't do a school run, but I know how the anxiety feels.

I was thinking, do you have any relaxation CD's, maybe for about half an hour or so before going to collect your children each day you could do a relaxation exercise? I have relaxation CD's and find they do help.

Take Care,

Heather x

belle
01-02-07, 13:27
How are you?

lisa p
01-02-07, 14:42
Hi

Just to let you know I did it, just! - I then went to my friends clothes shop rushed in like I normally do pulled a few things of hangers got her to throw them in a bag, paid and rushed out! but did feel a bit better therapy shopping thought I deserved a treat!!

Thanks for the messages, I have also phoned the doctor and explained how bad I am at the mo, as usual the doc had no idea and suggested I went in to see him HA HA!!! under sufference he is going to give me some medication to try, dont know what it is I will collect it tomorrow and probably be asking for more advice lol!

Well thanks once again without you all I would not be able to achieve the day to day things I have to do.

Love Lisax

Piglet
01-02-07, 14:43
How'd it go??

I was wondering if you had a friend who might come with you on the school run. I did this for a while years ago and it really helped.

I think you've got in a bit of catch 22 with it and the chain needs to be broken. There is no shame in asking for some assistance - infact I know mums who don't have anxiety that hate the whole school run thing.

I actually found dropping off in the morning not as bad as collecting cos you don't wait around so much. Could you think you do the mornings but get someone to help you with the afternoons till you build your confidence back up!!

Love Piglet :)

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

honeybee3939
01-02-07, 15:18
Hi Lisa

Im so pleased to hear you managed the school run !A BIG WELL DONE TO YOU ! thats a great achievement, im pleased to hear you treat yourself too hun, you certainly deserved it.:D

Love

Andrea

xxxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"

belle
01-02-07, 16:57
Proud of you toay Lisa...
Well done :)

Sarah x

Shopping therapy IS the best!!!!

kimmy
01-02-07, 17:34
well done lisa,

Medication can help take the edge of everything and then youll be able to see things in a diffrent light. WELL DONE

cookielucious
01-02-07, 18:48
Well done!!! I no how you feel...and pat yaself on the back..it's a blessing you still can drive some..cause I havent been able to drive in a few months now.. everytime I try to drive I have a pannick attack so I dont drive...until I am better..I no we will get better because I did it before..I just started new med yesterday and I pray it works for me..I been on so many but never give up since one dont work..My eyesite has been blurry and dizzy for a month now i havent been able to focus..so I stay at home afraid to go place...but blowing in a paper bag helps some and carry water with you also helps..just a few tips..even though I am having a hard time right now..but I no God is gonna heal us all from this terrible thing..

lisa p
02-02-07, 13:21
Hi

Just been to the docs to collect pills, he has given me citalopram - any advice???

Will I still be able to have me glass or two of white wine???

Thanks everyone.

Lisa

eddie d
02-02-07, 13:39
im on those as well 10mg . are they helpimg ? not sure . the doc said they would take about 3 weeks to kick in .been on them 2/3 months ,maybe they are helping a bit .

davidthegnome
02-02-07, 15:02
Lisa,

Great job! We're all cheering you on. You did wonderfully to manage that despite the fears you'd had. I am no stranger to driving anxiety myself. I'm lucky too in that I don't have to drive kids around, though I do drive from time to time, to the store or into Caribou.

For example, I live in a pretty isolated area, Madawaska Lake. To get to Caribou where most everything important is (hospital, grocery stores, therapist, etc.) I have to drive about 20 miles or so. So that can make me nervous at times and I often have my Mother either with me or driving for me. Still, the anxiety of driving does go down over time.

You know, most anxious drivers are actually good drivers. They're in a state of high alertness brought upon by fear and adrenaline. So it's natural that they're even more careful than someone without anxiety. Not suggesting really anxious driving is to be preferred, just that you're doing great. Have you had really bad accidents in the past? I'm willing to bet that you're a pretty good driver and safe most of the time.

For me, I've found it helps to give myself little tests. For example, every now and then I'll decide to drive a route that could make me anxious. I practice a lot with laughing off the anxieties I feel, I tell myself I am a good safe driver who has never (knock on wood) had an accident. This may help you too. It may also help to give that driving anxiety a personage. For example, when you get those anxious thoughts or images, imagine it as Donald Duck with his huge feet telling you "Uh oh! Everyfing is going to be just awful!". I find it makes me laugh, might be beneficial to you too.

I think if you persistently practice driving it will help you a great deal. Obviously if you feel light-headed or it becomes too much for you you can pull over for a time and do some breathing excercises. Still, if you're afraid to drive, I sincerely believe that driving repeatedly will eventually diminish and finally remove your irrational fears of it. I know it's helping me.

Good luck and God Bless you, you'll be in my prayers,

David

nomorepanic
02-02-07, 15:22
Lisa

Look under the medication forum and every other post is about Citalopram so loads to read up on.

You need to give it a good few months before it takes full effect.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

kimmy
02-02-07, 16:51
I agree, Im on 40mg a day, ive been taking them for months and they have done me sooooooooo much good. They just took the edge off so I could see things more rationally. Im virtually over it all now, I do get anxious at times and have had a rare panic, but because I know what is happening to myself I was able to calm it within minutes!

lisa p
03-02-07, 15:59
Thanks so much for the support and replys.

I have read up on the other postings regarding citalopram and have decided that I need to be brave and do the right thing and start taking them! The only thing is a lot of people have said they have started off on 10 mg and the doc has given me 20 mg, but I think I will stick with the 20 mg and hope for the best.

Lisax

kimmy
03-02-07, 16:06
Dont worry, I started on 20 and now im on 40 I have been for a while, they worked great, Like before just bare with them if you have side effects. Its worth it in the end! Well done for being positive