PDA

View Full Version : Bullies......and panic.

belle
01-02-07, 13:37
I was lying in bed when i realised how similar panic is to being bullied. I was bullied from 12 - 15 years so i know what its like.

The bullies controlled me in the sense of how limited my life became because of them - as does panic
The bullies made me afraid to go out - as does panic
The bullies scared me - as does panic
The bullies made me anxious - as does panic
IF i did go out i was always watching over my shoulder for the bullies - with panic i am always waiting for that to appear too.
The bullies use to appear from nowhere to be mean - as does panic
If i saw the bullies i would run - exactly the same with panic

...anyone else see the similarities here.

Ironic thing is...from the age of 16, the bullies became my best friends, i wonder if i'll ever be friends with panic...lol

It seems for most of my life i've been controlled or bullied by someone or something....time for it to stop i think!

Sarah

kilvosa
01-02-07, 14:18
Hi Sarah
How right you are i tend to agree with you on that never thought of it before.
Take care
Annexx

Piglet
01-02-07, 14:36
Trac67 always likens panics to bullies - it's so true really isn't it!!

Love Piglet xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Elle
01-02-07, 14:37
Sarah
I see where you're coming from. Panic is your own inner bully, one that you create to upset yourself. Now the question is, which is the easiest to get rid of? A bullying person or a bullying panic that comes from within? It's hard to send away a taunting bully in the playground and it's hard to banish those panic attacks. BUT, logically, since we create the panic then we ought to be able to control it. Easier said than done? Yes, probably but the possibility is there.

I was bullied at school and it went on for weeks and weeks. It bothered me 24/7. I was only twelve and the bullies were around three years older and finally I could take no more. When they came at me again I turned and faced them. "Bother me again and I am going to knock on the headmistress's door and tell her exactly what you have been doing to me!" And I meant it and they knew it. From that day on the bullying stopped.

I'm not entirely sure where this is leading but I am convinced that panic attacks can be reined in, if not eliminated. Banish that bully within!
Elle

belle
01-02-07, 14:49
The more and more i read what i wrote i just cannot believe how alike the two are. I wish i'd realised it sooner. The only reason i was thinking about it today was because i was watching Jeremy Kyle this morning and there was a bully on there.

I am going to try and see my panic attacks now as a bully. In the end i stopped running from my "real life" ones, panic can't keep bullying forever....they always get bored in the end - don't they!?

Sarah

heths
01-02-07, 15:19
Sarah,

I was bullied badly at school too. I agree too that the panic/anxiery is like a bully.

When I saw my therapist this week she was comparing my OCD to a bully too.

Take Care,

Heather x

ceecee
01-02-07, 15:47
hi sarah
yes that really is true
i,d never looked at it that way before!!!!!!!!

take care
rach x

belle
01-02-07, 19:48
...lol @ Nigel...

I'm not wishing panic attacks on anyone, however, for them to disappear would be fine by me :)

(FYI...I always use to run and hide from the bullies in the shcool toilets, not intending to live in the loo this time)

Sarah x

lisa p
02-02-07, 09:32
Sarah,

Very true, I was bullied from a very young age both at primary school and in a big way at secondary school.

Good for you, youre thinking very positive!

Take care

Lisa

Rennie1989
02-02-07, 20:16
Great links there, and I strongly agree, bullies are just like panic attacks.

"My teddy last night was a paper bag, to keep my safe."

davidthegnome
02-02-07, 21:39
There are some striking similarities aren't there? Yeah, I got bullied at school too. I got bullied and I was already kind of socially anxious and a nervous kid. So the bullies just made it worse. Interesting to think of if that way though. I've called my panic attacks and anxiety all kinds of unpleasant names, but never tried the bully comparison. It seems to fit.

Ignoring a bully can some times just make him more persistent. Facing one though... I mean, really facing the panic attacks head on and telling them to bring it on. That's an interesting concept and one that has been (so I hear) successfully used by many people to overcome their panic attacks for good.

I won't go into too much detail, copyrights and all that stuff. But the program (ebook) you can get at the panicportal website talks a lot about this.

Interesting thinking.

belle
03-02-07, 16:26