PDA

View Full Version : Stress with trying to get council/housing assocation house

phil06
07-07-15, 14:13
Basically it's been almost two years and it's got to the degree I can't sleep. I stay with parents and me and my girlfriend have bid for over 160 houses in a medium demand area some lower demand.

We have lower incomes and can't afford to buy or private let with no secure tenancy.cWe got proriority from the housing assocation at the start of the year and we thought our wait as almost over.

Sadly even with all the bids they will offer no form of housing. I have contacted shelter and councillors and had no joy. You have to be homeless usually.

However sadly it's too expensive to go and buy or rent and we hear of people getting houses within weeks. It's no longer waiting time it's who meets the criteria. If you live with parents you are expected to forver stay with them I think which is very stressful and I can't sleep :blush:

cjemc
07-07-15, 16:03
Basically it's been almost two years and it's got to the degree I can't sleep. I stay with parents and me and my girlfriend have bid for over 160 houses in a medium demand area some lower demand.

We have lower incomes and can't afford to buy or private let with no secure tenancy.cWe got proriority from the housing assocation at the start of the year and we thought our wait as almost over.

Sadly even with all the bids they will offer no form of housing. I have contacted shelter and councillors and had no joy. You have to be homeless usually.

However sadly it's too expensive to go and buy or rent and we hear of people getting houses within weeks. It's no longer waiting time it's who meets the criteria. If you live with parents you are expected to forver stay with them I think which is very stressful and I can't sleep :blush:

Hi. I can relate. I am 27 and my sister, 24, and we still live at home with our Mum. I earn £6.50 per hour and my sister gets slightly more but its still not enough to ever be able to save enough for a house especially with todays ridiculous housing costs!
This gives me anxiety as well. In 13 years I will be in my 40's and I don't know how I am ever going to be independent or have any sort of batcherlor's pad or any family home. I cant even afford to have a family which is very very upsetting and depressing.
I think the baby boomer generation had life so easy compared to people nowadays.
I know exactly how you feel believe me.
Do you mind if I ask how old you are?

nomorepanic
07-07-15, 16:25
You won't be a priority as you have a roof over your head and you are in a safe place.

There was a programme on TV about it the other day.

Not all homeless people get them either.

phil06
07-07-15, 22:01
Hi. I can relate. I am 27 and my sister, 24, and we still live at home with our Mum. I earn £6.50 per hour and my sister gets slightly more but its still not enough to ever be able to save enough for a house especially with todays ridiculous housing costs!
This gives me anxiety as well. In 13 years I will be in my 40's and I don't know how I am ever going to be independent or have any sort of batcherlor's pad or any family home. I cant even afford to have a family which is very very upsetting and depressing.
I think the baby boomer generation had life so easy compared to people nowadays.
I know exactly how you feel believe me.
Do you mind if I ask how old you are?

I'm 26 and yes I seen the programme on tv. My area is not like London for demand and there is lots of new social housing around here but it goes to movers or existing council tenants.

It is very expensive and I seen on TV people even taking private lets can end up homeless if the landlord sells up so this would stress me.

The extra £100 or £200 could be food bills so that's why I can't afford it. Private lets are about £200 more than council. :blush:

phil06
09-07-15, 02:45
Any tips for sleeping better?

I am looking at middle market rents and contacted the HA and councils to see if they can offer anymore help.

han76
09-07-15, 03:33
Hate to tell you but i waited 9 years 12 years ago. the homeless wait is 6 years in my borough. But your ship sailed in the budget. if you and your girlfriend earn min wage which is going up to above the 30k max earning allowance even if your only doing 56hrs combined you will pay market rent. They have stopped lifetime tenancys and your paying market rate. Rent privatley little point chasing something no longer worth having. There are not enough 1 bed properties which is all your entitled to. if one comes up people in oversized properties facing bedroom tax evictions will always take priority. They will not throw them on the streets over you living at home not wanting to pay £200 more my rent would be a £1000 more. so i will have to live alone or risk loosing my home it would cost a partner working £1250 a month to move in. believe me social housing probably a dead end. I'm nearly 40 and could never afford kids without benefits and refusedto claim. friends with social housing that did have kids are left on principle in there one beds on principle for years sharing bedrooms with 1/2/3/4 kids. having a child never assured the right size property. sorry to be harsh and lay the facts on you. discuss your sleeping with docs. But be gratefull your parents let you stay theres a million homeless on the streets try and keep it in perspective x