PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety about anxiety

damianjmcgrath
07-07-15, 16:59
I used to, and still do on a daily basis, believe I have some underlying heart condition, especially as the symptoms appear to be getting worse and different, i.e., I've recently started getting out of breath a lot quicker when exercising, even just walking. I'm assuming this is down to me being more aware of it, and the anxiety is causing those sensations, but to my mind, it's evidence of the problem getting worse. Obviously, all doctor checks have come back clean.

However, I seem to developing a new anxiety, and one that is more difficult for me to cope with. The "normal" anxiety of the heart condition can be counteracted by me convincing myself I don't have it, looking at the evidence, getting tests, etc. This should contribute to my anxiety going down.

However, now, I'm getting very anxious about my anxiety. I keep thinking "OK, it's anxiety, what if it gets worse? What if I need a load of tablets, or I have to miss work and get sacked, or I'm bed ridden for years, or the tablets knock me out and I can't function, or the anxiety gives me proper panic attacks which has me collapsing or fainting, or having more intense chest pains which means I'm phoning the ambulance.

I'm worried about it reaching that point. I may well have realised it's anxiety but the symptoms it can produce are real, or feel real, so now I'm anxious about having anxiety - which I obviously do - so I'm anxious about something real so I can't convince myself I don't have it, because I do!

How do people cope with being anxious about feeling anxious?

SarahH
08-07-15, 12:00
Fear of Fear!!! Classic symptom. Its very difficult to stop this in my opinion. BUT it can be done. Look into Mindfulness. There is loads about it online. I find it very helpful.

Sarah

MyNameIsTerry
08-07-15, 12:30
Its a classic as Sarah says, Damian. As a GAD sufferer it's a big part of my anxiety journey.

You are clearly catastrophizing here. All these "what if's" are part of the fight or flight response to attempt to protect from possible dangers, just like the one about your heart.

You've missed something though. Counteracting them is the same, its just that you need to change the way in which you gather your counter evidence. For instance, who do you know who is bedridden from anxiety on this site? I can't say I've come across anyone like that since I've been here. Look at all the people posting and the anxiety they are describing yet they aren't bedridden so why should you be?

You just need to learn to adapt your counter arguments.

If you fancy trying Mindfulness, as Sarah recommends, have a look at the link in my signature for a thread full of free resources.