PDA

View Full Version : Monotonous job causing acute anxiety.

cjemc
08-07-15, 09:54
My job is horrific, it's minimum wage which doesn't inspire me and I do the same thing everyday. It's horrific.

Mart0310
08-07-15, 10:27
A job you really dislike can be really draining.

Is there anything you can do to change the situation? Are there any career prospects with the company? Could you enrol in a college course to improve your skills, experience and opportunities?

pulisa
08-07-15, 14:05
My job is horrific, it's minimum wage which doesn't inspire me and I do the same thing everyday. It's horrific.

I doubt whether it's horrific. You just sound very bored by it.

cjemc
12-07-15, 15:30
I doubt whether it's horrific. You just sound very bored by it.

I'd say an annual income of £12,281 is horrific wouldn't you? Especially when you work a 40 hour week breaking your back pulling 234kg of weight around in a metal container whilst wearing heavy safety boots and a dirty Hi-visibility vest.
You cant get much of a lower income than that IMHO.

ricardo
12-07-15, 18:07
I'd say an annual income of £12,281 is horrific wouldn't you? Especially when you work a 40 hour week breaking your back pulling 234kg of weight around in a metal container whilst wearing heavy safety boots and a dirty Hi-visibility vest.
You cant get much of a lower income than that IMHO.

Isn't that below the minimum wage ?

Carnation
12-07-15, 18:45
Unfortunately a lot of Companies and Businesses still pay a low wage and get away with it; even in Managerial. They never tell you the 'small print' and you end up working half of your lunch, coming in early and leaving late; all free of charge.

Good jobs are hard to find these days and they are normally designated to someone within or someone they know personally. They have to advertise by law, but it is already taken. You can also be over qualified or just don't want to pay you anything decent, especially when they can get someone else in from another Country to do the job for half the salary.
I would concentrate on your personal Life and make that more rewarding in the meantime. Hunting for jobs is soooo depressing and can take ages to find.
You more are more likely to find a job by word of mouth or by someone you know.

I have also noticed that you can be paid just the same wage living in the Country or by the Coast compared with a City or large Town. I definitely had a better time out of the stinky City and people were less aggressive because their personal lives were much better.

For the time being, play your cards close to your chest, don't give them any extras; Companies never appreciate hard workers, they just give them more work!

cjemc
12-07-15, 18:50
Isn't that below the minimum wage ?

Hi ricardo, it is very very bad pay isn't it!!! It is minimum wage rock bottom. £6.50 per hour over a 40 hour week.

ricardo
12-07-15, 19:33
Hi ricardo, it is very very bad pay isn't it!!! It is minimum wage rock bottom. £6.50 per hour over a 40 hour week.

This whole thing needs to be looked into by the government as the minimum wage appears to be a guide line.

Here in London the actual minimum wage is higher but many firms abuse that as well.

---------- Post added at 19:33 ---------- Previous post was at 19:28 ----------

Unfortunately a lot of Companies and Businesses still pay a low wage and get away with it; even in Managerial. They never tell you the 'small print' and you end up working half of your lunch, coming in early and leaving late; all free of charge.

Good jobs are hard to find these days and they are normally designated to someone within or someone they know personally. They have to advertise by law, but it is already taken. You can also be over qualified or just don't want to pay you anything decent, especially when they can get someone else in from another Country to do the job for half the salary.
I would concentrate on your personal Life and make that more rewarding in the meantime. Hunting for jobs is soooo depressing and can take ages to find.
You more are more likely to find a job by word of mouth or by someone you know.

I have also noticed that you can be paid just the same wage living in the Country or by the Coast compared with a City or large Town. I definitely had a better time out of the stinky City and people were less aggressive because their personal lives were much better.

For the time being, play your cards close to your chest, don't give them any extras; Companies never appreciate hard workers, they just give them more work!

Carnation that is the way of the world these days but they do get much longer holidays but as you say overtime pay doesn't exist.

One of my kids and nearly all his friends have good jobs but they literally leave early in the morning and come back late, eat something, go to bed, just to pay the rent and of course if they haven't got a Mummy and Daddy Bank can't find a deposit for a starter home.

Rennie1989
12-07-15, 19:37
It is known that low challenging and low support (and low reward) jobs cause stress and anxiety. I heard that the government have announced a £9 an hour living wage, but being the government I doubt this will materialise. I had a job like this in the gambling industry and I left as soon as I found a job that gives me the challenges and progression that I wanted, I've never looked back!

If you're not happy then you should start looking for a new job or get yourself back into education.

MyNameIsTerry
13-07-15, 04:37
It sounds like some serious negative thoughts here, Calum, and its hardly surprising with a boring job that probably feels without prospects on top of your anxiety issues which is quite severe at the moment.

I agree with Carnation, look towards your mental health and things outside of work. Whilst a therapist may say "change your job" we really don't live in that fluffy world where everything's ok, we live in reality where many people do jobs they hate all their lives and just learn how to accept it.

Its not horrific, it just seems that way to you because it is piled on top of everything else. There are many horrific jobs out there though.

---------- Post added at 04:37 ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 ----------

I heard that the government have announced a £9 an hour living wage, but being the government I doubt this will materialise.

The budget increased it by 3/1% to £6.70 BUT they have been lifting the single person's tax allowance quite substantially in the last 5 years.

NMW is rising to £9 in 2020 (over 25's)...by which time it will be the equivalent of what is probably is now plus a bit extra. Milliband was banging on about lifting it sooner but the trouble with that is to hit the small businesses in the process and all businesses just push their prices up so its never a clever strategy. Lifting the the tax allowance means the businesses don't do any of that and the money comes out of the government's pot, which is the strategy the Tories took after Brown had the boot.

NMW will be £7.20 in 2016 so a bit off lift off I guess but it depends on the cost of living by then. You can easily be under the fuel poverty line on NMW as the energy companies reported a few years back.

cjemc
13-07-15, 10:19
It sounds like some serious negative thoughts here, Calum, and its hardly surprising with a boring job that probably feels without prospects on top of your anxiety issues which is quite severe at the moment.

I agree with Carnation, look towards your mental health and things outside of work. Whilst a therapist may say "change your job" we really don't live in that fluffy world where everything's ok, we live in reality where many people do jobs they hate all their lives and just learn how to accept it.

Its not horrific, it just seems that way to you because it is piled on top of everything else. There are many horrific jobs out there though.

---------- Post added at 04:37 ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 ----------

The budget increased it by 3/1% to £6.70 BUT they have been lifting the single person's tax allowance quite substantially in the last 5 years.

NMW is rising to £9 in 2020 (over 25's)...by which time it will be the equivalent of what is probably is now plus a bit extra. Milliband was banging on about lifting it sooner but the trouble with that is to hit the small businesses in the process and all businesses just push their prices up so its never a clever strategy. Lifting the the tax allowance means the businesses don't do any of that and the money comes out of the government's pot, which is the strategy the Tories took after Brown had the boot.

NMW will be £7.20 in 2016 so a bit off lift off I guess but it depends on the cost of living by then. You can easily be under the fuel poverty line on NMW as the energy companies reported a few years back.

Some very very good points Terry. Thank you :)
Did I also mention that newcomers are starting on £7.00 per hour whilst me and three fellow employees who all started at the same time remain stagnant on £6.50 per hour. Is this common practise these days I wonder? I have never heard of new employees starting on a basic rate of which exceeds the amount that longer serving employees are being paid!!!!!!!

MyNameIsTerry
13-07-15, 10:35
No, it isn't and thats something you should raise because there are laws in place to prevent such behaviour. You are all entitled to equal rights over pay and your employer would have to be able to justify why they are paying them more, if they can't they would lose at a tribunal.

Have you got any union people you could get on the case?

cjemc
13-07-15, 19:33
No, it isn't and thats something you should raise because there are laws in place to prevent such behaviour. You are all entitled to equal rights over pay and your employer would have to be able to justify why they are paying them more, if they can't they would lose at a tribunal.

Have you got any union people you could get on the case?

Hi Terry. I had a very nasty feeling that something wasn't right about this. The whole thing is corrupt if you ask me.

We all do the same job so I don't know why they as opposed to me and my other colleagues can simply walk into a job and earn 50p more an hour than people like me and my 3 friends who all started at the same time last August. I started on £6.50 like I said and one guy started last month doing exactly the same thing and he is on £7.00!!!!!!! I cannot understand why this is? I mean the minimum wage when I started working there last year was £6.50 and unless I am very much mistaken the minimum wage is STILL £6.50 so why do they walk in and start on 50p above the minimum wage which is what me and my 3 friends started on???????

Unfortunately I am not a member of a union and neither are my 3 colleagues. I don't believe that the company is part of any workers rights union either so I am lost in that respect.:mad:

Rennie1989
13-07-15, 19:47
You can still join a union, but you have to pay a monthly cost to be a member, but that pays for representation and other benefits.

MyNameIsTerry
14-07-15, 05:15
Hi Terry. I had a very nasty feeling that something wasn't right about this. The whole thing is corrupt if you ask me.

We all do the same job so I don't know why they as opposed to me and my other colleagues can simply walk into a job and earn 50p more an hour than people like me and my 3 friends who all started at the same time last August. I started on £6.50 like I said and one guy started last month doing exactly the same thing and he is on £7.00!!!!!!! I cannot understand why this is? I mean the minimum wage when I started working there last year was £6.50 and unless I am very much mistaken the minimum wage is STILL £6.50 so why do they walk in and start on 50p above the minimum wage which is what me and my 3 friends started on???????

Unfortunately I am not a member of a union and neither are my 3 colleagues. I don't believe that the company is part of any workers rights union either so I am lost in that respect.:mad:

The easiest way which is least likely to annoy your managers, is to ask. If they don't tell you the material reasons as to why they are paying them more, then you are entitled to make a grievence complaint and if that does not address the issue, its a tribunal from there.

You want Part 5 of The Equality Act 2010 which covers this:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/contents

Unions just make it easier because your employer is less likely to bluff them, although they may still try (seen that before!). A union rep can also speak for you so you feel under less pressure.

Just be aware of the ramifications of ever making a bosses life just that little bit harder...nasty people can mark your card and look for opportunities against you in the future. Thats just how it can be anywhere but if you have a fair manager, this is very unlikely.

It would be a good idea if you approached them as a group as they will be less likely to see it as a trivial issue they can push away.

Sometimes contracts are changed and people already on the old ones get left behind. Sloppy HR people do things like that.