PDA

View Full Version : Just started Venlor

MelSilk
08-07-15, 14:16
Hi Guys,

Been on Citalopram for years now, went to my GP and he said there are better medications out there that I can be using so he prescribed Venlor 75mg a day. He said there was no reason to wean myself off citalopram and that I could take Venlor immediately. I took my first dose today and I am feeling really disconnected and sleepy. Then I read side effects etc and become more worried because most people only post above the negative things. How long will it take for me to get used to Venlor - is it the same as citalopram which was 4 - 6 weeks?

I am at work and really need to be able to focus - so thought I must maybe just get citalopram for back up?

tommackent88
08-07-15, 18:16
Hi Mel

I'm not an expert on these things but I started taking this about 6 weeks ago and I've not experienced any benefits yet. Although I am still hopeful!

Everyone is different. I've read elsewhere that after 6 weeks some people feel really good!

MelSilk
08-07-15, 18:31
Hi.

Thanks for the reply.

I have only taken one dose today and I feel like crap.

Panic in my whole body. Can't breath and feeling agitated. Just took an alzam to calm me.

I wanted to try something different because I felt citalopram had stopped helping. Not sure if I should persevere or go back.

Poppy Girl
10-07-15, 23:32
Don't give up just yet! I spent months and months trying different medications until my doctor gave me venlafaxine. Truth be told I didn't want to take it as I'd heard so many negative things but I've been on it a year today and my life is so much better.
It took about 4 weeks for me to start feeling better and a good 6-8 weeks before I felt the real benefit and I did feel pretty lousy the first couple of weeks.
Are yiu taking the standard ones or modified release? If you can get your doctor to give you the slow release ones they cause less side effects as the medication is absorbed slowly throughout the day rather than all in one go.
It really has changed my life, although I know what works for one person may not work for others. I started on citalopram but had to stop after a week as I felt suicidal.
Hope you will start to feel better soon x

tommackent88
10-07-15, 23:50
I second that. With me the first few days were really crap. I'm still only on a small dose so I'm not feeling the real benefits yet but stick with it because it really could help.

I'd be pleased to hear how you get on

T

Leviathan
11-07-15, 00:43
Hopefully this does work, I am three weeks into the course of 75mgs and nothing only foggy brain and restlessness. Still time for something to happen :)

MelSilk
11-07-15, 16:27
Thanks for all your support. It means a lot to me.

I have felt a difference as that im not so tired in the mornings anymore. I can actually sit at my desk without my eyes closing. With Citalopram i used to have trouble keeping awake. Id nod off in meetings.

I have a bit more energy than before. Like i can actually clean my house now. Not just a sweep over I actually do the rough stuff too. I hope this continues:) I still feel a bit anxious and don't like crowds or loudness. But its getting better. I really hope this pill can do for me what it has done for you poppy.

I just want to be better. After 6 years of suffering it would be great.

SpecialAgentSara
30-07-15, 02:37
I'm just starting on Venlafaxine again. I've been on it twice before and I've only taken 3 doses this time around and I feel awful. Headaches, dry mouth, lethargy, dizziness and severe nausea. But I'm sticking out because I know it's worth it. If Venlafaxine is right for you then it is a fantastic drug, but you have to stick at it!

Is there someone that can look after you when you're at home. I'm being waited on hand and foot by my partner who had read the leaflet and knows what to expect and it's honestly helpful.

Also your anxiety can feel worse for the first two weeks and I'm sure that's what causes some of the side effects, because I'm expecting it they will happen. To combat this I don't read the leaflet, I get someone else to read it and know what to look for.

Good luck with the ven! We are all here to support you!

SADnomore
30-07-15, 04:04
Well said, Sara! And right, Poppy Girl, about the wonderful change it brings about! For me it was 5 weeks before the dizziness passed, which had been very annoying, and the dry mouth seemed to hang on and hang on, so I became used to sucking on hard sugarless candy and carrying my water bottle with me everywhere. Thankfully, the nausea was first to go, lol! Next I think was the brain fog, but admittedly, that took a few weeks, fortunately the accompanying fuzzy vision (like tv "snow") pushed off a week or two after my tummy settled. Those drove me nuts, but the best thing to do is ... Very little. Cash in your sick days at work. Take on nothing more. I used to get weak in the knees getting in and out of the car, and never did more than one, short task that took me out of the house in a day. And spaced those days apart as much as possible.

I found that the improvements in my abilities and moods were subtle, and for me I needed to pace myself. The first thing that I remember, something like at 6 weeks was the realization that it had been weeks since I had cried! Huge, right? But also subtle, like gradually becoming able to push negative thoughts away. Subtle like noticing them stay away longer, not having such a grip on me anymore. Not feeling the pain as deeply, then finally, not only that, but having the ability to choose not to "go there" at all! Wow, this was such a transformation, AND has mostly stuck with me, but it and the little lifts of happiness took up to 12 weeks to come around.

My problem is moreso depression than anxiety per se, but the great thing with venlaxafine is that it works against both! Maybe even better with anxiety from what I hear. For me I don't get it often and it is always from being around certain people. So, it is bad when it happens, but it suppose it is avoidable. The depression I get is the seasonal kind. Definitely not avoidable. :mad: Not unless I win the lottery and take up in the tropics, ha ha ha ha!

Hang in there everyone, this feels like longer than it really is, and it will be so very worth it! I have never felt as normal and grounded in my life!
Marie

---------- Post added at 20:04 ---------- Previous post was at 19:56 ----------

ps. Oh, right. It's true, it adds insult to injury, but try heightened anxiety IS a normal side effect. This is because of the way our serotonin is being adjusted. Sort of a stop-gap situation while the receptors get it right and switch gears. No worries, it normalizes and the anxiety gets better as fast as possible. Try eating high tryptophan foods along with healthy complex carbs in order to increase serotonin to the brain. :)
http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/high-tryptophan-foods.php
Chopped prunes in my oatmeal was also a boon against the constipation :P Lol!
Here are some more lovely complex carbs to eat alongside to ferry the tryptophan along!
http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-food/benefits-of-complex-carbs-and-the-best-ones-to-eat/

Laala
30-07-15, 09:48
Hi. I'm in a similar position. Sorry, haven't posted here before but desperate.

Had been seeing a GP who put me on Citalopram 20mg which did nothing but make me worse for 12 weeks. Finally managed to see a psychiatrist two weeks ago who was very nice and switched me straight to Ven 75mg for a week and 150mg after that. Said he wishes Drs wouldn't prescribe Citalopram! Gee great.

I've been taking the 150mg for a week now (so 2 weeks on Ven in total). I went on holiday during the switch which seemed to provide enough distraction not to notice too many side effects and I actually felt more calm and quite normal.

However now I am back in reality I feel absolutely rubbish again. Anxious, waking up at 4.30am, depressed...just like I want to cry (I'm so sick of feeling like this) and just worried that the Ven isn't going to work either. What's happened. Why did I seem to manage on holiday for 10 days and now I'm in the pits again. I don't even know what I'm anxious about, other than anxious and depressed about the way I feel and the fact I just don't seem to be getting better.

Please tell me it's still early days. xx

SpecialAgentSara
30-07-15, 10:55
It is still very much early days Hun. In my previous experience ven takes a good six weeks to work properly. However I'm convinced that the stress and anxiety of trying a new med exacerbates the side effects. I always get really worked up when I have to take something new. Being on holiday meant you were already a little more relaxed. It was an escape from anxiety for you and that's probably why you didn't suffer badly with side effects. Now you're at home you're worrying about it a bit more.

Also it sounds like you doctor ramped up your dose pretty quickly, which may not have helped. I always have to increase very slowly or I feel terrible.

Stick at it. The side effects do pass I promise.

Sara xx

Laala
30-07-15, 15:23
Thank you Sara. I just need some reassurance as I have spent since February trying to feel better, going round in circles, and am pinning all hope on Ven. Having been on Citalopram for 12 weeks I thought I might have to wait a little less for the Ven to work...am I totally starting from scratch do you think?

I didn't really worry about the ramped up dose as I figured he knows what he's doing but I'm sure it's not helping matters.

In terms of side effects is it normal to feel worse before better too? I just so want this to work.

Really appreciate your response xxx

SpecialAgentSara
30-07-15, 15:37
Technically yes you are starting from scratch. Citalopram is an SSRI and Venlafaxine is a SNRI. SSRIs work on serotonin receptors in the brain whereas SNRIs work on serotonin and norepinephrine receptors once you get to 150mg and above. So yes in theory it is a different medication.

Yes it is very normal to feel worse before you feel better. Very much so. I've just started again and taken three doses and feel terrible. But because I've been on it before I know it works for me. But it did take about six weeks for me to feel the effects.

The fact that you're remaining positive about wanting it to work is a good sign. Keep your chin up and stick it out.

Sara xx

Laala
30-07-15, 15:46
Thanks Sara. That's reassuring. I just wish I had a crystal ball and knew it was going to work for me. I'm just losing hope I'll ever feel better. The year is passing me by and I just want to be my old self again xx

SpecialAgentSara
30-07-15, 16:30
You will. There is a med out there for everyone and a positive attitude helps to. And you have that. Keep us updated :). Good luck.

Sara xx