PDA

View Full Version : College vs Distance Learning

jayjoe18
08-07-15, 19:54
Hi everyone.

So I have been debating the idea of going back to college for a while, I even went for an assessment at my local college, got onto a course but then got too nervous at the last minute and couldn't go in for my first day.

That was about 2-3 months ago now and since then I have been to see my doctor who kindly spoke to the college and advised them of my situation. The college rang back yesterday to offer me to go back and do another assessment but the starting date would be now as I would need to catch up the level before starting in September. The problem is I was looking at starting in September and never had the intention to start now. The reason being is that I don't feel ready. On the morning of what would of been my first day I got major anxiety similar to what I used to get when I was at my worst in high school and I just don't want to go back to feeling that way.

You might wonder why September would be any different but I have just agreed a higher dose with my doctor and so my plan was to give myself a couple of months on the higher dose and hopefully that would help with getting me back to college.

So I'm now unsure what to do, I feel bad to waste their time but I'm not ready yet, maybe I'll be ready in September and I can look at going to a different college? Maybe I'll never be ready and distance learning would be better? At the same time I don't want to feed my anxiety and study at home but maybe it's a good idea at the moment until I feel more able to commit to classes.

Has anyone got any advice? Also, has anyone tried distance learning?

sial72
08-07-15, 22:06
Hi JayJoe18
I did distance learning when I studied translation and that was fine but when I was younger I studied Theatrical Make-Up and obviously that had to be done at college, so I think it will depend very much on what you are intending on studying.
If you feel that you can manage it college would be good in so far as facing our fears is a very good step, but that will depend entirely on if you feel you can even if it meant being scared.
Or could you maybe try starting the course and see how you get on? Without too much pressure...
Good luck with whatever you decide x

Mart0310
08-07-15, 22:15
Agree with Sial, If you could manage it, college is so much better from every aspect, I studied for my degree through distance learning, the experience is not the same, it can be very isolated, the support isnt as good and you lose out on the social experience.

Facing your first day will seem tough, it may not be. Try and see, you may just surprise yourself, it amazing just how much desire can overide anxiety. I got married in church with Anxiety at its worst, I wanted to get married and desire won out.

Good luck, whatever you decide :)

jayjoe18
10-07-15, 20:16
Hi JayJoe18
I did distance learning when I studied translation and that was fine but when I was younger I studied Theatrical Make-Up and obviously that had to be done at college, so I think it will depend very much on what you are intending on studying.
If you feel that you can manage it college would be good in so far as facing our fears is a very good step, but that will depend entirely on if you feel you can even if it meant being scared.
Or could you maybe try starting the course and see how you get on? Without too much pressure...
Good luck with whatever you decide x

Agree with Sial, If you could manage it, college is so much better from every aspect, I studied for my degree through distance learning, the experience is not the same, it can be very isolated, the support isnt as good and you lose out on the social experience.

Facing your first day will seem tough, it may not be. Try and see, you may just surprise yourself, it amazing just how much desire can overide anxiety. I got married in church with Anxiety at its worst, I wanted to get married and desire won out.

Good luck, whatever you decide :smile:

Thank you for your replies :blush: It would be to go back and re do my maths GCSE as I missed out on a lot of school because of anxiety and struggled to do the maths from home so only got a D. The annoying thing is the college course is only 1 day a week for 3 hours! Which doesn't sound a lot does it! And I still can't get myself there!

The main thing I worry about is having to stay in a classroom for 3 straight hours, I could probably manage shorter periods of time but I feel like I'll be trapped there and can't escape, I reckon I could probably cope with shorter lessons.

There is another college that does maths GCSE and you go in 2 days per week for 90 minute lessons, which sounds more managable for me. The only problem is it's further away, about 20 mins on the motorway. I do drive now though but I don't know if it's silly to go further away twice a week when I could just go to the college around the corner once a week? Or do you think it doesn't matter as long as I'm actually going?

I agree that college would be better for the social side, my intention with the distance learning was to just do my maths GCSE and sit the exam next year and then apply for an access college course next September, when I've had longer to recover on my medication... I just don't know what to do! :wacko::unsure::huh:

Oh, and congratulations on your big acheivement Mart0310, that's brilliant! :yesyes: :biggrin:

sial72
10-07-15, 22:14
There is another college that does maths GCSE and you go in 2 days per week for 90 minute lessons, which sounds more managable for me. The only problem is it's further away, about 20 mins on the motorway. I do drive now though but I don't know if it's silly to go further away twice a week when I could just go to the college around the corner once a week? Or do you think it doesn't matter as long as I'm actually going?

If you are happy about 90 minute classes then I think it would be worth the distance and a couple of classes per week could be a gentle way to start back at college x