PDA

View Full Version : Can diazepam "go off" if taken out of the packet and put back in taped over?

MediumBill
09-07-15, 11:08
I rarely need diazepam except for very stressful events and I normally take part of the pill and put it back in the packet and tape it over. In the past I've taken one that was taped over the next day and it was fine but I've got one that's been like that for a month. Will that still be ok to take or will it be bad?

MyNameIsTerry
09-07-15, 11:25
This sounds like a good question for a pharmacist as they will understand why they need to be stored in blister packs. Usually its because of contamination, humidity and heat exposure, etc.

Removing it from the ideal sealed conditions to preserve it will likely mean it could go off quicker however this drug has a shelf life of years (seen 3 & 5 quoted before) so as long as you have a good use by date, I doubt its going to matter as long as they were kept away from heat, humidity, etc. To be sure though, ask a pharmacist.

swgrl09
09-07-15, 12:13
I have PRN diazepam for sleep and I never get it in a blister pack. It comes in a bottle from my pharmacy that I open/close over and over again. For that reason, I think you'd be fine. I keep one bottle for up to 6 months-1year because it takes me that long to go through it.